Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 27 Jul 2009 (Monday) 19:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

24-105mm L lens question

Guts311
522 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 27, 2009 19:15 |  #1

Hey guys, quick question:

Is it normal that the lens very often makes the same sound as the aperture changing even though it's on manual and staying at the same f-stop? Seems to happen when I move the camera to a different lighting or when I half-press the shutter to focus, all of a sudden it makes that very short but noticeable aperture change sound.
My 50D is not on Live View and my finger is not holding the DOF preview button..therefore I can't see a reason why the aperture would sound like it keeps shifting. Keep in mind, the camera's f-number never changes..again, it's on manual. Is it related to IS? My previous IS lens didn't do that I don't think.

Any ideas? I never had this happen before on any other lenses, even IS.

sponsored links
wimg
Cream of the Crop
6,662 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 27, 2009 19:53 |  #2

Guts311 wrote in post #8353529 (external link)
Hey guys, quick question:

Is it normal that the lens very often makes the same sound as the aperture changing even though it's on manual and staying at the same f-stop? Seems to happen when I move the camera to a different lighting or when I half-press the shutter to focus, all of a sudden it makes that very short but noticeable aperture change sound.
My 50D is not on Live View and my finger is not holding the DOF preview button..therefore I can't see a reason why the aperture would sound like it keeps shifting. Keep in mind, the camera's f-number never changes..again, it's on manual. Is it related to IS? My previous IS lens didn't do that I don't think.

Any ideas? I never had this happen before on any other lenses, even IS.

That sound is the IS kicking in. Switch IS off, and it won't make that sound anymore, until you switch it on again.

You are not hearing the aperture closing, as it only closes when you actually press the shutter button all the way to take a photograph, or when you press the DoF preview button. In addition, it only makes very, very little noise, unlike the IS, especially at start-up.

Kind regards, Wim

EOS R & EOS 5 (analog) with a gaggle of primes & 2 zooms, OM-D E-M1 Mk II & Pen-F with 10 primes, 6 zooms, 3 Metabones adapters/speedboosters​, and an accessory plague

Guts311
THREAD ­ STARTER
522 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 27, 2009 20:02 |  #3

wimg wrote in post #8353751 (external link)
That sound is the IS kicking in. Switch IS off, and it won't make that sound anymore, until you switch it on again.

You are not hearing the aperture closing, as it only closes when you actually press the shutter button all the way to take a photograph, or when you press the DoF preview button. In addition, it only makes very, very little noise, unlike the IS, especially at start-up.

Kind regards, Wim

Thanks, but are you mixing up the sound I'm hearing with the very VERY slight sound you hear when you half press and make IS kick in (more of a motor humming sound)? I know that sound from my old XSi kit lens when I had it, but this literally is the same sound as when you change the aperture a step or two with the DOF preview button down.
I hear this fairly often as I move the camera around, changing the amount of light going into the lens, but while pressing nothing.

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,625 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Jul 27, 2009 20:04 |  #4

Agreed, it's the IS. Kind of curious though that yours is that loud. Mine is very quiet.. MUCH more quiet than my 70-200 2.8. I often wonder if it's even on, it's that quiet.

One other thing though, is it will often work "harder" and maybe louder, if you're really moving around a lot. Maybe that's it?

Guts311
THREAD ­ STARTER
522 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 27, 2009 20:06 |  #5

Todd Lambert wrote in post #8353811 (external link)
Agreed, it's the IS. Kind of curious though that yours is that loud. Mine is very quiet.. MUCH more quiet than my 70-200 2.8. I often wonder if it's even on, it's that quiet.

One other thing though, is it will often work "harder" and maybe louder, if you're really moving around a lot. Maybe that's it?

I'm still not sure..again I know the usual IS humming sound which is a little longer and different than this. This is too too much like the sound of the aperture changing, it's confusing me! I just wanna know that my new used L isn't malfunctioning or something! Everything else seems fine I think..

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 27, 2009 20:26 |  #6

It's quite easy to figure out -- as said above, turn your IS off and see if the sound goes away. If not, then you must have pebbles in your lens:) -- kidding, but we can't give you any more suggestions unless you do that simple test.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Guts311
THREAD ­ STARTER
522 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 27, 2009 20:53 |  #7

Yeah it seems to stop when I turn IS off, but when I hear it, it's very noticeable..that's what caught me off-guard, because it happens so often and it's fairly loud.
Does anybody else experience this?
And to reiterate, I did NOT hear it like this with my 18-55 kit lens..I didn't hear anything but the practically non-audible motor whirr noise when auto focusing...this lens is making the noise so much more often and it's different sounding..

What is IS doing that is causing the noise?

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,625 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 27, 2009 20:56 |  #8

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=C60ehMe3wQ8 (external link)

Guts311
THREAD ­ STARTER
522 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 27, 2009 21:00 |  #9

Alright..well I guess I'll chalk it up to it being IS for now. I always thought the only IS-related sound you hear is when you put your ear up to the lens and listen carefully (which I am also hearing separately by the way with this L lens), like with my old 18-55mm IS, but this one is making the same sounds as aperture control and I don't have to put my ear up at all to hear it!
Does it make sense that my 24-105mm L is way louder when I hear IS turn on and off than my previous 18-55mm or my current 55-250mm lens is?

Thanks guys!

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,625 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 27, 2009 21:12 |  #10

Yeah, the IS can be pretty much, especially if the camera is moving a bit.

Like I said, on my 70-200 2.8 IS, it can sometimes make a pretty good "Clunk" sound.

vincent_su
843 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 27, 2009 21:16 as a reply to  @ Todd Lambert's post |  #11

How loud it appears to you is subjective. I can hear my 24-105 IS clicking as I look thru my view finder and I think it's normal.

Vincent
"My dark room is bright and I like it."
5Diii; 24-105 f/4; 100 Macro f/2.8; 17-40 f/4; 70-200 f/4 IS; 100-400 II; TS-E90 and stuff.

Yaamon
Goldmember
1,433 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 27, 2009 22:25 as a reply to  @ vincent_su's post |  #12

There are different grades of IS depending on the lens.

The IS circuit in the 18-55mm is not the same as in the 24-105. Just like the IS in the 28-135mm is different.

When I had the 18-55 IS I could hear nothing, still my 24-105 IS is very quiet.

Now the 70-200 F4 IS is a different story I can hear easily.

Found it here is a picture from canon japan web site displaying the different IS circuits.

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2509/3763852607_5a2be5d8ae_o.jpg

http://web.canon.jp …merit/revision/​index.html (external link)

Gear List
Flickr (external link)

rklepper
Dignity-Esteem-Compassion
8,994 posts
Joined Dec 2003
Location: No longer living at the center of the known universe, moved just slightly to the right. Iowa, USA.

Jul 27, 2009 22:25 |  #13

Also, the harder the IS has to work the louder it will be. So if you are moving much it will be louder.

Doc Klepper in the USA
I
am a photorealist, I like my photos with a touch of what was actually there.
Polite C&C always welcome, Thanks. Gear List

jluspo
108 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 27, 2009 22:52 |  #14

I just checked my 24-105F4L IS and when the IS kicks in, it's very quiet. I had to put my ears right next to it to hear it. I turned off the AF just to be sure that it is the IS kicking in. The sound is very soft. Now, when compared to my 70-200F4L IS, that has a noticable almost jerking humm. You may want to go to a store that has a 24-105L and "listen" to it.

Gear List: Canon EOS 7D; Sigma 10-20; Canon 50 1.4; 24-105 F4L; 100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS; 580EX II; 2x Calumet Genesis 200; Billingham/Think Tank/Tamrac bags

flickr (external link)

Guts311
THREAD ­ STARTER
522 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 27, 2009 22:58 |  #15

Either way, if mine is a little louder, I'm not gonna go killin myself trying to fix it or figure it out..it is used after all from someone on here. Obviously though, not everyone's is as loud... so I don't know...
Every time the humming of the IS activates and deactivates, there is a noticeable click during each event..which ends up happening pretty often.

sponsored links

2,022 views & 0 likes for this thread
24-105mm L lens question
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.