Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Jul 2009 (Monday) 20:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

40D and setting exposure

subnet_rx
115 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 27, 2009 20:51 |  #1

I spend most of my time in Aperture mode on my 40d. I can't figure out how to basically set the exposure based on one thing I point at, then focus on another. My exposure seems to be constantly changing from moment to moment based on what I'm pointing at. Any help on how to do this?

My Bonsai Blog (external link)

sponsored links
T&E ­ Run
122 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 27, 2009 21:08 |  #2

I don't think you can do this with aperture. What you are doing is basically like shooting in M. Have you tried using full manual? I was in your shoes up to about a month ago and I basically shoot only full manual now.

Terry and Betsy (Elizabeth)
5D l 40D l 17-35 2.8 l 24-70 2.8 l 85 1.8 l 70-200 2.8 IS l 100-400 5.6 IS l 100 2.8 IS Macro

PKSmith
207 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 27, 2009 21:17 |  #3

Either you need to start shooting in manual in that situation, or you need to move the metering function to a separate button so you could meter, then hold that setting recompose and focus.

I'm not sure about the 40D, but my XSi lets me freeze the metering and hold that exposure while I recompose my shot.

However, I find manual to be easier than changing the way my buttons function.

| Rebel XSi | EF-s 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS | EF 50 f/1.4 | EF 70-200 f/4L | Speedlight 199A |

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 27, 2009 21:23 |  #4

You can set the shutter to lock the exposure on the 1/2 press if you wish. I don't remember the function for that but that's how I had C1 set up (Av) when I had a 40D. Regular Av was setup as you describe but sometimes I needed it to work the other way so I would switch to C1.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Dep
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 27, 2009 21:31 |  #5

I think that you may want to try the AE lock Its the * button. More info can be found on PG 95 of the manual.

EOS 5D Mark III, EOS 40D, EF-S 17 to 85 IS, EF 70 to 200 F4, 24-105 F4L, L, Lensbaby 3G, EF 50 1.8, EF 28 to 70, Kenko Extension Tubes, 430 EX Flash, 568 Flash, ring flash and other bits and bobs.
www.marcuszone.com (external link)

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 27, 2009 21:33 |  #6

Since I had the focus on the AF-ON button that was not workable for me, especially with a lens that has IS or when in AI Servo. It might be for the OP.

Gear List

Flickr (external link)

bonnicagi
47 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 28, 2009 00:37 |  #7

hey actually you can do this.
that is how i shoot.
Im in AV mode
in the custom function mention you can decouple the focus and exposure from the shutter button, such that AF is only triggered by the AF-On button. Once you focus, you can move the center AF point to wahtever you want to expose for, then half press, then re-compose.

OR (which is the more inuitave way) is to use the * for what you want to expose for, then focus on your object with AF-ON, then pressure the shutter...note you have to do this within a certain time other wise the exposure lock with reset itself

if you need help with this let me know//its getting late :D

Veemac
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 28, 2009 01:40 |  #8

subnet_rx wrote in post #8354019 (external link)
I spend most of my time in Aperture mode on my 40d. I can't figure out how to basically set the exposure based on one thing I point at, then focus on another. My exposure seems to be constantly changing from moment to moment based on what I'm pointing at. Any help on how to do this?

As the above advice shows, there are several different ways to do it. If you don't want to set custom functions and put AF on the AF-ON button, just use the * (Exposure Lock) button....point at what you want to meter off of, push the * button to lock your exposure there, then recompose your shot and proceed as normal. If you did it correctly, a * will appear on the lower left of your viewfinder, indicating Exposure Lock.

Mac
-Stuff I Use-

donaldinc
64 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 28, 2009 11:02 as a reply to  @ Veemac's post |  #9

Another way of doing this is by setting the power button to one switch above "on". Press halfway on the shutter button then exposure button same time and move the dial. This should set the exposure. Annoying yes, but manual is the easiest way.

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 24-70 f/2.8 L | Canon 70-200 f/4 IS | Canon 100L 2.8 IS | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | 580 EX II | SLIK PRO 340 EZ

ModelMayhem (external link)

amazon
185 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 03, 2009 23:27 as a reply to  @ donaldinc's post |  #10

How long does the exposure lock remain once you press the * button

gopack471
231 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 04, 2009 00:16 |  #11

I'd just put it in manual, find the shutter speed that puts the meter at 0 and then move the camera to refocus. Seems simpler than changing the custom function each time.

Tom - Zenfolio (external link)
Canon: 7D|17-55/2.8|50/1.4|85/1.8|2​8-135|430exII
Sigma: 70-200/2.8
Olympus: EPL1 & 14-42

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 04, 2009 06:35 |  #12

amazon wrote in post #8394605 (external link)
How long does the exposure lock remain once you press the * button

Something like 6 seconds but I don't recall. I just programmed the shutter to AE lock on the 1/2 press and the back button to AF focus ON. Seemed more
"natural" to me and no need to ever change the settings. If I wanted to meter at instant of taking the shot I just pressed the shutter all the way, not stopping at the 1/2 press. If I wanted to lock the exposure and shift the framing, for example, 1/2 press, shift camera, trip shutter. Just seemed more intuitive and since the settings are permanent, easier to not have to think about what you are doing.

Gear List

Flickr (external link)

artyman
Sleepless in Hampshire
14,412 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 04, 2009 10:56 |  #13

I hate having to think what I'm doing, I don't really the equipment for that sort of thing :D

Art that takes you there. http://www.artyman.co.​uk (external link)
Ken
Canon 7D, 350D, 15-85, 18-55, 75-300, Cosina 100 Macro, Sigma 120-300

sponsored links

1,835 views & 0 likes for this thread
40D and setting exposure
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.