Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 Jul 2009 (Tuesday) 22:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

someone point me the way to selecting ISO

eatonjb
60 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 28, 2009 22:51 |  #1

so I have a 50D, and I understand a little about ISO, but not as much as I wish

in the outdoors when it's bright I have been using 100, but I think there might be times when I need to bump up to 200 or more, but I am not sure.. I have not been successful on finding videos or documents on really what to look at when i select an ISO setting.. cranking up the 50d to 1600 or even 3200 works great to get fast shutter, but the noise is crazy.

TIA
e..b

Eaton J. B.
FlickR (external link)

sponsored links
S.n.a.f.u.
Goldmember
2,769 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 28, 2009 22:56 |  #2

understanding exposure by bryan peterson would be a worthy investment it is an awesome book that lays out iso aperture and shutter speed in easy to understand terms and makes it easy to understand how they all relate to one another

I'm Russ. Gear List
Life is too short to drink bad wine
-ching chai
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately it kills all pupils
-Louis Hector Berlioz

S.n.a.f.u.
Goldmember
2,769 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 28, 2009 23:00 |  #3

http://www.amazon.com …oks&qid=1248839​938&sr=8-3 (external link)

and

http://www.amazon.com …oks&qid=1248839​977&sr=8-5 (external link)

both worthy to add to any library IMO

I'm Russ. Gear List
Life is too short to drink bad wine
-ching chai
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately it kills all pupils
-Louis Hector Berlioz

Photon ­ Phil
Goldmember
1,763 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 28, 2009 23:01 |  #4

Super short: Keep your ISO comfortably low so as to keep you shutter speed and aperture where you want them to be for the purpose of capturing motion and/or depth of field. To me ISO is the most flexible of the triangle of exposure.

And read Understanding Exposure but do not try to duplicate his sample shot settings on a crop cam like the 50D as they are from film shots.

Bodies: SONY A850 / Pentax K100D / D70 (18-55VR, 55-200)
Primes: Minolta 28 ff2.8 / Minolta 50 f1.7 / Minolta 50 f2.8 Macro
Zooms: 35-70 f4 / 100-200 f4.5 Lights: AB800 / AB400 & CSRB's
Classics:
Pentax Super Tak 50 f1.4 / Pentax SMC 50 f1.4,f1.7,f2.0

hammmerhead
312 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 28, 2009 23:06 |  #5

eatonjb wrote in post #8360462 (external link)
so I have a 50D, and I understand a little about ISO, but not as much as I wish

in the outdoors when it's bright I have been using 100, but I think there might be times when I need to bump up to 200 or more, but I am not sure.. I have not been successful on finding videos or documents on really what to look at when i select an ISO setting.. cranking up the 50d to 1600 or even 3200 works great to get fast shutter, but the noise is crazy.

TIA
e..b

I usually shoot @ 400 just to help with clarity even when its bright out. Im not as solid as some when holding the camera and I really cant tell any difference in 400 and 100 with my eyes anyway. 1600 is the cutoff for me and when I use it I know there will be a little softness after I pp the noise out, but its not bad at all. Use DPP only when converting your RAW's and it will help greatly with the noise as compared to other programs.... then you can adjust the Jpeg in whatever software you want.

cbacarella
510 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 28, 2009 23:18 |  #6

Well Eaton, as you can see there are many great answers on this board already.

I can however give you some basic ISO knowledge that i have which helps me when i shoot.

So you have figured out that low ISO has the least amount of noise but is not good in low light conditions. You have also figured out that high ISO creates lots more noise but helps with a faster shutter speed in low light.

The key is to find the balancing point between shutter speed, aperture, and your iso so that your pictures still look sharp and arnt very very noisy!

Since you already know the basics of how pics look with HIGH ISO and how they look with LOW ISO you can judge that any ISO level in between will be more or less noise with your picture. Its just up to you to find the balance between ISO, Shutter, and Aperture to get the picture you want! Experiment a little with it, you will find your comfort zone and know how much noise is involved in pics with different ISO levels.

.Chris.

(Who is also an xceedspeed member as well as a motownmuscle member!)

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 29, 2009 05:47 |  #7

The rule is - use whatever ISO is needed to prevent a shot being unintentionally blurred by movement - of either the camera or the subject. You can do something about noise in an image. If it's blurred there's nothing you can do to rescue it.

Personally, I only ever use ISO 100 when I want intentional blurring (e.g. long exposure of a waterfall). Otherwise I use 200 or 400 most of the time. But I don't worry about going up to 800 and I'll use 1600 if needed.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

Daniel ­ Browning
Goldmember
1,199 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 29, 2009 06:26 |  #8

The short answer is "ETTR then ITTR". In other words, use the highest ISO you can without blowing important highlights. High ISO reduces noise.

Here's the long answer. One often reads that high ISO causes noise. The correct meaning of that phrase is this: "At low ISO, I use normal exposures. At high ISO, I use severe underexposure. The underexposure causes a tremendous increase in noise. Increasing the ISO helps to reduce that noise a little, but it's not nearly enough to make up for all the noise caused by underexposure." There is one exception to this: going from ISO 100 to ISO 200 decreases noise so much that it *almost* makes up for the underexposure (it only has about 1/3 stop more noise). That is why ISO 100 and ISO 200 have very similar noise levels.

ETTR (Expose To The Right) means to increase exposure (f-number, shutter speed, etc.) as much as possible without blowing the highlights you care about. ETTR is the best technique for reducing noise. A single stop of exposure (e.g. f/2.8 instead of f/4) can reduce noise a lot more than even 2 stops of ISO (e.g. 400 -> 1600). That doesn't mean ISO is unimportant, just that exposure is more important.

Every camera has different performance at each ISO. The way your 50D works using "1 stop" ISO settings (not 1/3-stop) is that higher ISO always have less noise than lower ISO until you get to 3200. In other words: ISO 200 has less noise than 100. 400 has less noise than 200. And so on and so forth until you get to 3200. At 3200 and above, the rules change. 3200 has the same noise as 1600. 6400 has the same noise as 1600. 12800 has the same noise as 1600. Therefore, ISO 1600 is the highest ISO that you should use.

The only reason to ever go above 1600 is for convenience: it's necessary for JPEG (if you don't shoot raw), it gives you a brighter review image on the LCD, makes it easier to use autoexposure, flash metering, you don't have to make adjustments in post processing, etc.

But there is a cost associated with high ISO. That cost is clipped highlights. For every doubling of ISO, one stop of highlights are lost. That is why I advise folks to use ITTR: ISO To The Right. That is, increase ISO as much as you can on every shot, without blowing important highlights. But don't go over 1600, as I said above, unless you need the convenience features.

I hope that wasn't too much technobabble.

Kind regards,

Daniel

MarKap77
806 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 29, 2009 08:59 as a reply to  @ Daniel Browning's post |  #9

Daniel,

Your advice is completely contrary to everything I have ever learned about ISO and exposures. Care to give a reference to some book or manual or something to back up your statements?

I also found several factual errors in your post. For instance, the Canon 50D has 1/3 stop increments of ISO. For instance, 100, 125, 160 and 200. Now, I am aware that electronically, the interim steps are some sort of fudging of the actual ISO, but the fact remains that the settings are available and mimic a film with an ASA rating equal to those numbers.

Lastly, my practical experience tells me that your assertion that 1600 ISO has the lowest noise is incorrect. Any image I have ever taken with any digital camera, as you increase the ISO, you increase the noise. Maybe not by noticeable amounts, but certainly any image shot at 100 ISO will have less noise than an image shot at 1600 ISO.

Please, offer a reference to backup your statements so that we can all learn from this.

Mark
My Gear List

"I don't travel to get to work, travel IS my work!

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 29, 2009 09:17 |  #10

To put it into one sentence: ISO is adjustable so that you can keep your shutter speeds fast in low light.

Thank you. bw!

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 29, 2009 09:29 |  #11

hollis_f wrote in post #8361625 (external link)
The rule is - use whatever ISO is needed to prevent a shot being unintentionally blurred by movement - of either the camera or the subject. You can do something about noise in an image. If it's blurred there's nothing you can do to rescue it.

^ +1 bw!

stsva
Cream of the Crop
6,360 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 29, 2009 09:38 |  #12

I'm with MarKap77 re: Daniel Browning's post. I think many photographers would agree that, for any given ISO, exposing to the right will result in lower noise for that ISO setting compared to using an "average" exposure or underexposing. I don't think many would agree that increasing the ISO (say using ISO 400) combined with exposing to the right will result in lower noise compared to using a lower ISO setting (say ISO 200) combined with exposing to the right.

Some Canon stuff and a little bit of Yongnuo.
http://www.pbase.com/s​tsva/profile (external link)
Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club https://photography-on-the.net …=744235&highlig​ht=hamsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

ScullenCrossBones
842 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 29, 2009 09:40 |  #13

Daniel Browning wrote in post #8361715 (external link)
The short answer is "ETTR then ITTR". In other words, use the highest ISO you can without blowing important highlights. High ISO reduces noise.

Here's the long answer. One often reads that high ISO causes noise. The correct meaning of that phrase is this: "At low ISO, I use normal exposures. At high ISO, I use severe underexposure. The underexposure causes a tremendous increase in noise. Increasing the ISO helps to reduce that noise a little, but it's not nearly enough to make up for all the noise caused by underexposure." There is one exception to this: going from ISO 100 to ISO 200 decreases noise so much that it *almost* makes up for the underexposure (it only has about 1/3 stop more noise). That is why ISO 100 and ISO 200 have very similar noise levels.

ETTR (Expose To The Right) means to increase exposure (f-number, shutter speed, etc.) as much as possible without blowing the highlights you care about. ETTR is the best technique for reducing noise. A single stop of exposure (e.g. f/2.8 instead of f/4) can reduce noise a lot more than even 2 stops of ISO (e.g. 400 -> 1600). That doesn't mean ISO is unimportant, just that exposure is more important.

Every camera has different performance at each ISO. The way your 50D works using "1 stop" ISO settings (not 1/3-stop) is that higher ISO always have less noise than lower ISO until you get to 3200. In other words: ISO 200 has less noise than 100. 400 has less noise than 200. And so on and so forth until you get to 3200. At 3200 and above, the rules change. 3200 has the same noise as 1600. 6400 has the same noise as 1600. 12800 has the same noise as 1600. Therefore, ISO 1600 is the highest ISO that you should use.

The only reason to ever go above 1600 is for convenience: it's necessary for JPEG (if you don't shoot raw), it gives you a brighter review image on the LCD, makes it easier to use autoexposure, flash metering, you don't have to make adjustments in post processing, etc.

But there is a cost associated with high ISO. That cost is clipped highlights. For every doubling of ISO, one stop of highlights are lost. That is why I advise folks to use ITTR: ISO To The Right. That is, increase ISO as much as you can on every shot, without blowing important highlights. But don't go over 1600, as I said above, unless you need the convenience features.

Kind regards,

Yeah. In crazy world.

:p Gear
Mama done took my Kodachrome away...

alt4852
Goldmember
3,419 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 29, 2009 09:56 |  #14

Kind regards,

what?

5D4 | Z21 | 35L2 | 50L | 85L2 | 135L

ToddR
766 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 29, 2009 09:59 |  #15

DC Comics called. They want their license fee for that Bizarro World reference you dropped on us back there. :p

Notwithstanding the occasional artistic desire for noise, I would posit that most would use the lowest ISO that works for the given light with the equipment at hand that allows for shutter and aperture to get the desired composition (adequate motion stoppage, deeper DOF, etc.).

Gear List

sponsored links

52,126 views & 0 likes for this thread
someone point me the way to selecting ISO
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.