Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 30 Jul 2009 (Thursday) 00:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

300/2.8 + 2x TC on 40D

rakesh
225 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jul 30, 2009 00:04 |  #1

Hi Friends

I've almost decided to opt for 300/2.8. I want to know while using stacked TC i.e. 2.x and 1.4 on 300/2.8 and mounted on 40D will provide AutoFocus or we have to use Manual.

As using the stack TC will make the Aperture ot F8. I don't know whether 40D will have AF at this apaerture or not.

Looknig forward to experts advice ?

Regards

Rakesh

Gears:
My WildLife Gallery :
http://www.justwildlif​e.com (external link)
My Kids Project Galleries : http://www.facebook.co​m …otography/15851​1907574485 (external link)

hiddengamer7
259 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 30, 2009 00:11 |  #2

only the 1D series cameras can focus at F8, all other bodies can focus up to F5.6

-Will
Canon 5D, 17-40mm F/4L, 24-70mm F/2.8
L, 70-200 F/4L, Nikon 55mm F/3.5 macro, Speedlight 380EX

Roy ­ C
Goldmember
2,088 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 30, 2009 01:45 |  #3

rakesh wrote in post #8367065 (external link)
Hi Friends

I've almost decided to opt for 300/2.8. I want to know while using stacked TC i.e. 2.x and 1.4 on 300/2.8 and mounted on 40D will provide AutoFocus or we have to use Manual.

As using the stack TC will make the Aperture ot F8. I don't know whether 40D will have AF at this apaerture or not.

Looknig forward to experts advice ?

Regards

Rakesh

When you stack tc's the camera will only see one of them so it will not know you are at f8 therefore it would attempt to focus. But how good the AF will be is probably dependant on light and contrast of the subject. One thing is for sure, if it does AF it will be a lot slower and would hunt quite a bit as well.

TOP BIRD SHOTS (external link)
MY PHOTOSTREAM (external link)

500px gallery (external link)

sammysmithazt
95 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 30, 2009 02:01 as a reply to  @ Roy C's post |  #4

Hit me up with a PM if you decide. I'm just about to list my 300mm 2.8 USM IS and my 2x extender on Ebay but if your interested it would save me the trouble of an ebay listing.

It is NOT grey market. I puchased it new a little over a year ago but I have not been using it much and would really like some cash to pay off some debt and buy another camera body.

The lens is MINT!! not even a scuff mark and it was used with great care and very lightly. At most I've probably taen 150 pictures with it and it has ALWAYS been kept in its carrying hard case

I have everything it came with: original box, strap, hard case, keys, manual, hood, leather lens cap

I also have the orignal box to the 2x extender, caps and carrying bag

Pm me me soon though. I'm leaving for Ireland in less 10 days. I will return on the 25th of August but will likely list on ebay before I leave and have a good friend handle the transaction while I am gone.

I have realy had a hard time bringing myself to sell this lens. I have gone back and forth on it a dozen times. Its a fantasic lens. By far the sharpest an best IQ lens I own. I simply could use the cash and I'd rather have someone put it to good use than have such a wonderful piece of glass sitting in my closet with little use

5D
28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS USM - 16-35 f/2.8L USM
100 f/2.8 Macro USM - 85 f/1.8 USM
300 f/2.8L IS USM - 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM - 580EX

Neilyb
Cream of the Crop
5,198 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Jul 30, 2009 02:05 |  #5

I havea 50D and cannot stack TCs, even with taped pins it will not do it. On the 1DsII it worked, not super fast but worked and IQ was acceptably sharp.

http://natureimmortal.​blogspot.com (external link)

http://www.natureimmor​tal.com (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

735 views & 0 likes for this thread
300/2.8 + 2x TC on 40D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.