Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 12 May 2005 (Thursday) 01:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: When do I need a Release?

photographergirl
84 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 19, 2008 06:04 |  #76

Some one mentioned around page 1 or 2 that you can buy a large amount of photo releases for cheap. Can anybody post a link to where you can purchase them? I mostly shoot portraits but have been wanting to do release with each session just to make sure that I am covered. This way if I chose to use them for a ad or promote my business there is no legal issue for it was take care of at the beginning of the session.

I have several photo releases that are legal doc files but its time consuming to go in and change each thing in red that they tell you to put your own info so having a large stack of general release forms would be much easier!

Website (external link) Facebook (external link) Gear: Canon 40D, Canon 70-200mm f/4L, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 85mm f/1.8, Canon 28-135mm f/4-5.6, Canon 430EX II Flash w/ Gary Fong Diffuser

sponsored links
Hogster
30 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Nov 15, 2008 19:12 as a reply to  @ post 5384588 |  #77

You may want to buy the attorney's book. She probably wrote it to provide the very information you are seeking.

One of these days you're going to drive me to thinking! :cool:

KJEphoto
190 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 16, 2008 16:58 |  #78

Here's one i am confused about. I am going to be going to a summer camp to take pictures and document the experience for the campers, i will then be posting the pictures online. There will be roughly 800 kids at this camp, does that mean i need a release from every single one of them if i want to sell the images??

IG: @kjemery_photo
SportsShooter: http://www.sportsshoot​er.com/members.html?id​=10165 (external link)

newb2pro_1day_or_so
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 16, 2008 17:09 |  #79

KJEphoto wrote in post #6891222 (external link)
Here's one i am confused about. I am going to be going to a summer camp to take pictures and document the experience for the campers, i will then be posting the pictures online. There will be roughly 800 kids at this camp, does that mean i need a release from every single one of them if i want to sell the images??

Correct me anyone if I'm wrong, but who would you selling the images to? If it's the parents, I don't think there's much of a problem there. You might get the occassional parent that goes against it, but if you get in with the camp, you get in all the way. Now if you are selling the pictures to other people, I'm not sure why you would besides the parents or the camp director, that sounds strange.........but, you wouldn't need a release if it's for editorial purposes. It's a touchy subject because there are kids involved. I feel that no release is required if no explicite action is being shown, no bare skin or offensive gestures, and is purely showing the life of the camp. I'm not full of knowledge on releases, but I'm thinking unless you are selling them to anyone other than the parents or the camp council, you don't need a release.

Now for the website bit. I've been told that in a situation like this, pictures can be posted on your own site and used in your portfolio without a release. Double check me on this, but if you are able to take pictures through the camp council, you can always get a release after you decide what pictures you are keeping. That would narrow down the pool of 800 kids. In this situation, you'd only need a release to cover your butt. I think the picture has to show a clean and closeup shot of a person. If it's a large group of people, I think you're fine. Another way to approach it would be to have the council tell the parents there will be a documentation photographer on the grounds to capture the kids having fun for their website. Just ideas. I'm no pro, but I though i'd share how I feel.

Dan, www.dandexterphotograp​hy.com (external link)
Canon 50D, 50 1.8 II, 100mm macro, Tubes, 430ex, 70-200 2.8 IS, 17-55 2.8 IS, MPE-65 & MT-24ex flash.

DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
13,313 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 16, 2008 17:36 |  #80

KJEphoto wrote in post #6891222 (external link)

Assuming you are in the US, you don't need a release to post the images online. You don't need a release to sell prints. You only need a release if you are going to be using the photos for commercial purposes, meaning advertising of some sort.

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=9903477#p​ost9903477
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

Full Gear List & Feedback

DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
13,313 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 16, 2008 17:40 |  #81

Here is good read on model releases.

http://www.danheller.c​om/model-release-primer.html (external link)

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

tomd
Cream of the Crop
13,280 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 16, 2008 18:03 |  #82

Derek,
thanks for the link. I read 50% of the reference, and scanned the rest. I didn't see any comment about minors/photographs.
Maybe I'll just reread the pedeophile thread. ;) :lol:

=======>>> play W.A.I.N. :D

KJEphoto
190 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 16, 2008 19:15 |  #83

Ok thanks for the responses guys! Most of the sales i presume will either be to parents or the kids themselves. I will make sure that the camp has the parents notified just to be safe. Also one more issue on this topic, the kids at the camp are highschool and under. And many of the activities are pool/water related (swimsuits) is there any reason to worry about this ? i.e. too much skin?? Obviously i'll make sure no "parts" are showing im just being cautious...

IG: @kjemery_photo
SportsShooter: http://www.sportsshoot​er.com/members.html?id​=10165 (external link)

Vegaslabs
55 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Dec 23, 2008 00:52 |  #84

Another question..

If I am at a public pet expo/dog event - and am taking photos of competitors dogs. I put them up online on my website - (just a normal information site), not offering it for sale, more as an image on one of the pages, do I need a signed release from the dogs' owner? (I am asking, since dogs are property, unlike children.. how does this work)

Not sure if it would matter at all, but before taking the photo of this particular dog, I did ask for verbal permission to photograph it - with witnesses. Again, not sure if any of that information is pertinent, but just want all of the details out there.

I plan on consulting an attorney here in town, but just curious what some of you others think about this...

Thanks in advance!

(Also, while I am at it, may as well just ask, if I am there taking photos of dogs that are competing and I DO want to offer them for sale to the owners of those dogs, do I need releases then - since again, they are dogs, not humans...)

DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
13,313 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 23, 2008 07:41 |  #85

Vegaslabs wrote in post #6931141 (external link)
Another question..

If I am at a public pet expo/dog event - and am taking photos of competitors dogs. I put them up online on my website - (just a normal information site), not offering it for sale, more as an image on one of the pages, do I need a signed release from the dogs' owner? (I am asking, since dogs are property, unlike children.. how does this work)

Not sure if it would matter at all, but before taking the photo of this particular dog, I did ask for verbal permission to photograph it - with witnesses. Again, not sure if any of that information is pertinent, but just want all of the details out there.

I plan on consulting an attorney here in town, but just curious what some of you others think about this...

Thanks in advance!

(Also, while I am at it, may as well just ask, if I am there taking photos of dogs that are competing and I DO want to offer them for sale to the owners of those dogs, do I need releases then - since again, they are dogs, not humans...)

Nope, you don't need releases for web display or for selling prints.

Also, being as they are dogs, in most cases you don't need releases for anything unless they are trademarked (Think Spuds McKenzie).

Of course, if the owner asked you to take them down it would be common courtesy to do so. Within reason, of course.

Here is a great read on Model/Property Releases.

Dan specifically addresses pets/animals in that link.

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

Vegaslabs
55 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Dec 23, 2008 10:11 |  #86

DDCSD wrote in post #6931987 (external link)
Nope, you don't need releases for web display or for selling prints.

Also, being as they are dogs, in most cases you don't need releases for anything unless they are trademarked (Think Spuds McKenzie).

Of course, if he owner asked you to take them down it would be common courtesy to do so. Within reason, of course.

Here is a great read on Model/Property Releases.

Dan specifically addresses pets/animals in that link.

Thank you so much for the link and information! :)

jmchooper
370 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 30, 2008 12:28 as a reply to  @ photographergirl's post |  #87

I sometimes shoot adventure sports such as whitewater kayaking and mountaineering. I would like to sale prints on my mostly wildlife and landscape website. Would getting a release from Kayaker rushing by on a class 5 river or a climber fighting for survival on a stormy mountain fall under "undue burden"?

Cloudwalker Photography
http://cloudwalkerphot​ography.com/ (external link)

DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
13,313 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 30, 2008 12:30 |  #88

jmchooper wrote in post #6970447 (external link)
I sometimes shoot adventure sports such as whitewater kayaking and mountaineering. I would like to sale prints on my mostly wildlife and landscape website. Would getting a release from Kayaker rushing by on a class 5 river or a climber fighting for survival on a stormy mountain fall under "undue burden"?

If you're just selling prints, you really don't need a release anyways.

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 04, 2009 05:26 |  #89

lomond wrote in post #545599 (external link)
For example even parents can find it difficult, or even impossible here in the UK, to photograph there own children at a school sports day due to silly laws that imply the photographs may be used for the wrong reasons. ?!

There are no laws, silly or otherwise, that prevent parents shooting their own children. However, the school can impose any restrictions it likes on people it invites onto its property, including a 'no cameras' rule. If you ignore that rule then the school may ask you to leave their premises. If you refuse then you are guilty of trespass. The school has the right to ask you to delete any pictures you may have taken - you have the right to refuse.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

jrm27
797 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 06, 2009 13:24 |  #90

Great info folks. Thanks for such an awesome resource!

I am struggling with determining if I need releases for some works uploaded to Alamy as it will affect how I structure their restrictions. One of the pics is of a collection of objects, and the maker's corporate logo is visible on the product, do I need a property release? If I do need one, but don'r have a release, it can only be used for editorial use right?

Same property release question for items that were sitting out on a sidewalk in front of a store. The store is not ideintifiable, the objects are rather common and the image was taken from a public walkway. Do I need a property release for those as well?

Sorry for the pecific questions... this is all new and confusing to me and I don't want to expose myself to any potential liability. Thanks!

photos in question can be seen here: https://photography-on-the.net …hp?p=7016159&po​stcount=15

I apologize if this is an inappropriate use of the thread. If it is, please let me know and I will delete my posting immediately.

Thanks for any light you can shine on the subject!

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jrmelot/ (external link)

sponsored links

139,201 views & 9 likes for this thread
When do I need a Release?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.