Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
Thread started 01 Aug 2009 (Saturday) 18:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon EF 35-80mm f/4-5.6 PZ

macroimage
Goldmember
2,169 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 01, 2009 18:26 |  #1

How about some pictures from Canon's only EF Power Zoom?

This one was with the Rebel XTi, EF 35-80mm f/4-5.6 PZ, 500D close-up filter, and pop-up flash and the hood from the 50mm f/1.8 II.

1/200s, f/16, ISO 100, 80mm.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Photo Gear

sponsored links
friz
Goldmember
1,595 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 01, 2009 21:40 |  #2

Does any one know what thse go for? I kind of like the odd ball stuff.

Mike ­ Deep
Goldmember
1,907 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 02, 2009 00:13 |  #3

Keep an eye on KEH, they get one in every now and then. It sells for less than $100 IIRC.

mikedeep.com (external link) - rocket launch photography

macroimage
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,169 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 03, 2009 01:13 |  #4

This lens was the kit lens for the EOS 700 cameras so you may be able to find one used with a camera, perhaps for less than the price of a bare lens since film cameras are very hard to sell.

Photo Gear

98 ­ SNAKE ­ EATER
124 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 20, 2009 07:16 as a reply to  @ macroimage's post |  #5

I have one, but it's mainly just a rare novelty item in my bag :p

I have yet to even take a photo with it, but I'll try later today when I get a chance...

Rick

Fretless ­ Pete
262 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 07, 2009 00:10 as a reply to  @ 98 SNAKE EATER's post |  #6

I'm a bit late to the party here, but i have an EF 50-200 power zoom, so maybe the 35-80 wasn't the only one ? Mine has a 3 way switch , MF , 1.5mtr > infinfity , Macro

HOUND DAWG (external link)
RSPB + Dogs Trust member
40D - SW 80ED APO Pro - Tamron SP 60-300 -Tamron SP 90 - EBC Fujinon 55 - Vivitar S1 24-48

macroimage
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,169 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 07, 2009 03:09 |  #7

Are you sure that it is a power zoom? My 50-200 is a push pull zoom. The power zoom lens had a buttons to zoom in and out. The zooming is motorized like a point and shoot.

Photo Gear

Fretless ­ Pete
262 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 07, 2009 03:12 as a reply to  @ macroimage's post |  #8

Ah..yeah i get ya. In that case, no its not. Good lens though :cool:

How do you get on with yours ? I cant quite see the point of the Macro and 1.5 mtr switch. Using either of those options disables the focusing ring - does it do that to yours ?

You're the only other person i know who has one. I've got the only thread going on this lens in the EF lens forum

RSPB + Dogs Trust member
40D - SW 80ED APO Pro - Tamron SP 60-300 -Tamron SP 90 - EBC Fujinon 55 - Vivitar S1 24-48

macroimage
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,169 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 09, 2009 20:31 |  #9

Fretless Pete wrote in post #8776164 (external link)
Ah..yeah i get ya. In that case, no its not. Good lens though :cool:

How do you get on with yours ? I cant quite see the point of the Macro and 1.5 mtr switch. Using either of those options disables the focusing ring - does it do that to yours ?

You're the only other person i know who has one. I've got the only thread going on this lens in the EF lens forum

On the EF 50-200mm f/3.5-4.5 lens, there are three positions of the focus switch. 'M' is manual focus so the focus ring engages and the full focus range is available.

"1.5m' is an autofocus mode that won't focus closer than 1.5m to improve the focus speed for more distant objects. The focus ring will disengage since you would be autofocusing.

"Macro" allows autofocus to use the entire focusing range of the lens from the minimum focus distance to infinity. The focus ring will disengage to allow the autofocus to work. The may be a bit slower since the focus could hunt all the way to the MFD which takes longer. Use the 1.5m setting if you know that your subject is further away than 1.5m if you want faster focus.

I find it to be a surprisingly sharp lens with good contrast. It's a bit heavy and the autofocus isn't very fast but optically it is very good and they are available cheap. The 'L' version is still expensive though.

Photo Gear

Fretless ­ Pete
262 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 09, 2009 20:40 as a reply to  @ macroimage's post |  #10

Thanks for the info - and yes i find the IQ very good. It was cheap too. £70 is a good price i reckon, bearing in mind that we in the UK pay loads more than most countries for a lot of items

Samples..

http://photo-sharing.winsoftmagic.c​om …D=358ussw2&FID=​1i0u89arya (external link)

http://photo-sharing.winsoftmagic.c​om …D=358ussw2&FID=​7c8w3voz0x (external link)

RSPB + Dogs Trust member

undagroundsoundz
154 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 15, 2010 15:53 as a reply to  @ Fretless Pete's post |  #11

I know this is an old thread now from last year but if anybody is still after the above mentioned canon 35-80mm power zoom lens i have one listed in the classifieds section for sale at a very reasonable price, see my user profile & check threads started to locate it in the classifieds. thanks!

Kit: Canon EOS 550D/T2i / EF 50mm f/1.8 MK II / EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS / EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM MK I / EF 100mm f/2.8 MACRO USM

sponsored links

8,404 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon EF 35-80mm f/4-5.6 PZ
FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.