Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 04 Aug 2009 (Tuesday) 03:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is chimping bad when shooting manual?

POTN ­ Head
"proof that I have no life"
673 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 04, 2009 03:55 |  #1

I really don't know what people shoot at sports events or just at any event. Do they shoot in automatic mode or manual mode or priority? This is probably a really noob question and I realize that. :D

For example, if you left your iso at 25600 from last night messing around, and you have given up chimping for lent, then what?

Can you look at your photos without making the noise and would it still be called chimping?

Sorry if this has been answered before or if it is random, but it just sparked my curiosity.

Edited to take out some of my noobishness. Yea. I am insecure.

Jon- 5D

sponsored links
The ­ Moose
Cream of the Crop
5,106 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 04, 2009 03:58 |  #2

There's nothing really wrong with chimping. Elitists just think it's wrong because it's apparently noobish or for whatever reason they think these days. I do it because, despite learning about what the histogram can tell you, I prefer looking at a shot as it's what I'm used to.

Stealthy ­ Ninja
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: Mythical Tasmania (the one with lots of tall buildings in the semi-tropics, A.K.A. Hong Kong)

Aug 04, 2009 04:12 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

POTN Head wrote in post #8395355 (external link)
For example, if you shoot a whole bunch of photos in manual and realize at the end that everything is over exposed because your EC is at +3...

EC doesn't affect anything in manual mode dude. ;)

Chimp. You have the LCD, why not use it? Just to make some 1337 fo70 d00d happy?! :lol:

IMHO you're insane if you don't chimp a little while using manual mode. :D

Roy ­ Mathers
I am Spartacus!
39,300 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 04, 2009 04:17 |  #4

POTN Head wrote in post #8395355 (external link)
Can you look at your photos without making the noise and would it still be called chimping?

:confused::confused:

Stealthy ­ Ninja
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: Mythical Tasmania (the one with lots of tall buildings in the semi-tropics, A.K.A. Hong Kong)

Aug 04, 2009 04:19 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

Roy, that was a joke. :)

ElTigreBlanco
566 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 04, 2009 04:21 |  #6

I chimp because I can, it's a tool in my toolbox-why not use it? I can only look at my histogram on my chimpbox anyway...I had this question as well but really If you are just following what everyone else does then how will you set your photos apart from everyone elses? Not that chimping makes your photos unique but I hope you got what I meant! :) I think most use a priority mode however I use Manual mostly because I have left the camera on M since I got it...I think it's just what feels better to you and what gets the "keeper" ratio high. I have a feeling not too many people here on POTN will allow you to use the Greenbox... :lol:

I like to shoot things...sometimes with a camera!

POTN ­ Head
THREAD ­ STARTER
673 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 04, 2009 04:22 |  #7

Haha you guys are awesome thanks!

But still.. What do people shoot in at sporting events? What mode?

Jon- 5D

Stealthy ­ Ninja
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 04, 2009 04:25 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

For sports I use TV mode. Because I usually have a long non-IS lens on (200mm 2.8L) and I need to keep it above 1/200. You could use manual too if the light were even.

In TV mode, you need to make sure your ISO is up enough so it doesn't get underexposed.

Roy ­ Mathers
I am Spartacus!
39,300 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 04, 2009 04:28 |  #9

Stealthy Ninja wrote in post #8395425 (external link)
Roy, that was a joke. :)

The original post was so naive that it was hard to tell;)

POTN ­ Head
THREAD ­ STARTER
673 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 04, 2009 04:31 |  #10

That makes a lot of sense! Thanks.

I also have another question unrelated, but I don't feel like starting a new thread.

When I have the shooting mode on multi-shot or whatever it is psycological for me that I need it on single-shot. It is weird, its like when its on multi-shot I feel like the quality of the shots is less than when in single-shot. Although that isn't true. At least I don't think so. It is all in my head. I am weird. Aren't we all?

Jon- 5D

POTN ­ Head
THREAD ­ STARTER
673 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 04, 2009 04:31 |  #11

Roy Mathers wrote in post #8395452 (external link)
The original post was so naive that it was hard to tell;)

haha thanks bro

Jon- 5D

ElTigreBlanco
566 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 04, 2009 04:53 |  #12

POTN Head wrote in post #8395457 (external link)
That makes a lot of sense! Thanks.

I also have another question unrelated, but I don't feel like starting a new thread.

When I have the shooting mode on multi-shot or whatever it is psycological for me that I need it on single-shot. It is weird, its like when its on multi-shot I feel like the quality of the shots is less than when in single-shot. Although that isn't true. At least I don't think so. It is all in my head. I am weird. Aren't we all?

Are you sure this is a question? I am not sure it is...haha Maybe you are wondering if multi-shot degrades the quality of the photos? I am not sure whether it does or not but my best guess is that it would use the same settings for all the shots in the burst so that if the conditions are the same the photos would also turn out the same. I really have no idea tho, this would just be my best guess...

I like to shoot things...sometimes with a camera!

wickerprints
"Shooting blanks"
864 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 04, 2009 05:06 |  #13

I never "chimp."

I review.

"Chimping" is a weasel word that reeks of elitism. Perhaps at one point in time, it referred to a collective activity wherein the subject(s) would ask to see the snapshot that was just taken, but has now expanded its meaning to refer to any instance of reviewing an image. Sure, the film shooters don't look at what they just shot because they can't. And sure, they might say "if you had the right technique you wouldn't *need* to look."

Well, much the same could be said of the days when people didn't have calculators to perform arithmetic.

Old ways do not necessarily translate to new technologies, and new technologies often require rethinking old ways. You don't go around wearing clothes or driving vehicles from the 1800's, do you? The LCD is there for you to use. If you or anyone else thinks you're somehow less of a photographer because you like to review what you shot, screw 'em. That is regressive thinking.

I'm sure that back in the day, some people shooting daguerreotypes thought ambrotypes were ridiculous and only "real" photographers shot dags. And when gelatin silver processes were introduced, oh, that was truly scandalous, photography was forever condemned to be the art of the common man! And don't even get me started on Polaroid! And SLR? Autofocus? My god, now any bourgeois idiot could take perfect photographs!

There will always be some idiot out there who thinks that they are the real deal because they're keeping true to some "standard" of what it means to make art. And they are very often the last people on the face of this earth who have any clue what art actually is, let alone have any business telling anyone else what it should be.

5DmkII :: EF 24-105/4L IS :: EF 85/1.8 :: EF 70-200/2.8L IS :: EF 100/2.8L IS macro (coming soon!)

POTN ­ Head
THREAD ­ STARTER
673 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 04, 2009 05:06 |  #14

That is my question and thanks for the guess.

Jon- 5D

POTN ­ Head
THREAD ­ STARTER
673 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 04, 2009 05:16 |  #15

wickerprints wrote in post #8395536 (external link)
There will always be some idiot out there who thinks that they are the real deal because they're keeping true to some "standard" of what it means to make art. And they are very often the last people on the face of this earth who have any clue what art actually is, let alone have any business telling anyone else what it should be.

I know exactly what you mean. Thank you for this. Sometimes I forget the reason why I love photography so much getting caught up in all this technology. I love it because its free. I can express who I am without words.

Btw this thread is some seriousness mixed with a bit of joshin around.

I am really tired and not thinking straight. :D Just too addicting to POTN.

Jon- 5D

sponsored links

7,263 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is chimping bad when shooting manual?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.