Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 04 Aug 2009 (Tuesday) 17:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Gary Fong's explanation of the Canon ETTL flash system

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 04, 2009 17:16 |  #1

FYI.

http://garyfong1.xanga​.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,929 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 04, 2009 17:35 |  #2

Why is the image reversed? Do I need to become dyslexic to follow the video?

A good basic explanation of what is mysterious to many, nonetheless.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

psycorpse
325 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 04, 2009 17:44 |  #3

Looked to me like it was a left handed camera. Does that even exist? It bugged me the whole time I watched it.

EF 50mm f/1.8 II

psycorpse
325 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 04, 2009 17:46 |  #4

After looking at it again, the Canon Logo is also reversed so that rules out the left handed camera thingy. I don't know why his video is reversed.

EF 50mm f/1.8 II

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,929 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 04, 2009 17:52 |  #5

psycorpse wrote in post #8399486 (external link)
After looking at it again, the Canon Logo is also reversed so that rules out the left handed camera thingy. I don't know why his video is reversed.

I was thinking that he aimed his camera into a mirror, while recording the video!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

wickerprints
"Shooting blanks"
864 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 04, 2009 17:58 |  #6

So basically, he's telling people to green box it. Well, almost.

Don't get me wrong, green box is not a bad thing. I just think it's a tiny bit disintellectual if you know what I mean. "Here, put everything on auto, let the camera do everything for you." *shrug*

5DmkII :: EF 24-105/4L IS :: EF 85/1.8 :: EF 70-200/2.8L IS :: EF 100/2.8L IS macro (coming soon!)

L ­ A ­ Mac
350 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Aug 04, 2009 18:27 |  #7

So you push the "little Star" aheem; exposure lock button to get a setting? Hmmm I moved my focus on my 5D to the exposure lock button via C Fn3. I wonder if that will mess it up?

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 04, 2009 19:19 |  #8

L A Mac wrote in post #8399699 (external link)
So you push the "little Star" aheem; exposure lock button to get a setting? Hmmm I moved my focus on my 5D to the exposure lock button via C Fn3. I wonder if that will mess it up?

I did the same thing cause it focuses better in my book. It will just operate the autofocus and not the sample flash..if you set it back then the sample flash will work as he explains so no you didn't mess it up..I switch back and forth all the time.

I think he did shoot into a mirror and that is why it is backwards. I've done that many times, use the * button to get a FEL and then shoot the image..it works really well.

joepineapple
287 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Location: Washington DC - Born, Bred and Still Live Here. Who's this Obama guy?

Aug 04, 2009 20:54 as a reply to  @ Shooting's post |  #9

Great explanation about how to set the flash and camera, and I especially appreciated the breakdown of the different metering modes. Luckily I always keep mine on that exact mode!

I have never used the P setting shooting weddings, though.

My students ask, "Where's that bazooka lens?"
Gear List: Canon 1Dx Mark II, 7D, 16-35 2.8L II, 24-70 2.8L, 100-400L IS, 70-200 2.8L, 400 2.8L, 85 1.8, 580 EX II
"Old School" EOS 1n, A2, Hasselblad 500CM w/80

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 04, 2009 21:43 |  #10

joepineapple wrote in post #8400382 (external link)
Great explanation about how to set the flash and camera, and I especially appreciated the breakdown of the different metering modes. Luckily I always keep mine on that exact mode!

I have never used the P setting shooting weddings, though.

Trouble is, I used that metering but when the white wedding dress or cake takes up almost the entire image, that metering mode reads all that white and cuts the flash off making the rest of the image underexposed..I even do a +1 or 2 FEC but it didn't matter, all that white cuts the flash off. So I was told to use a custom function on the camera and make the metering mode from ettl II to Average..I did that and it was still a little underexposed but it was better than evaluative which is what Gary says to use..and I was shooting in manual also.

Shenanigans
267 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 04, 2009 23:04 |  #11

I think he did a good job explaining the reason that many of us were getting underexposed shots with the combination of 5D-II and 580EX-II. Selecting the proper metering mode becomes even more important to those of us who focus and recompose.

JoShAdKa4
267 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 05, 2009 08:49 |  #12

Shooting,

Thanks for the link.

I am a newb. when it comes to off camera flash and been getting myself a little worked up over it, (probably why I have put this off for so long), What I get from this video is we are all beginners at some point so it's ok to go back to the basics of "P" mode or auto. Especially when trying to learn all the new mechanics of the flash, I'm sure in time I will get more comfortable with it and explore the settings, for now (as I wait for my flash unit to be delivered) I can take it slow and learn in 'P' and auto.... thanks Gary Fong

Cindy

sponsored links

3,652 views & 0 likes for this thread
Gary Fong's explanation of the Canon ETTL flash system
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.