Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 04 Aug 2009 (Tuesday) 18:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How to cut CF tripod center column?

javanutsy
751 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 04, 2009 18:22 |  #1

I've tried to search, but not too successful.

I have a Benro C068 tripod that I'd like to cut about 3 inches off of the center column so that the ballhead can fold between the legs instead of sitting on top.

Would I be able to do a nice clean cut with hand tools?

Thanks for any tips or pointers.

galleryexternal link | gear

sponsored links
Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 04, 2009 19:05 |  #2

I would say no. Carbon is made very similer to fiberglass. And cuting fiberglass never stays nice for long. It allways starts to chip and fall apart. If anythig might work it would be a waterjet. It can cut the cleanest of cuts and may be the best way. So i guess it really is, yes it can be cut. But I would never suggest it.

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,331 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Aug 04, 2009 19:28 |  #3

javanutsy wrote in post #8399671 (external link)
I've tried to search, but not too successful.

I have a Benro C068 tripod that I'd like to cut about 3 inches off of the center column so that the ballhead can fold between the legs instead of sitting on top.

Would I be able to do a nice clean cut with hand tools?

Thanks for any tips or pointers.

i'd put a couple of wraps of electrical tape around column and use the edge of the tape as a guide. i would wrap a rag around the column and clamp it loosely in a vise and cut with hack saw.

i was able to buy a short column for my benro but it cost me around $45. it's worked out for me because i sometimes use the hook when it's windy.

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8 art, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,472 posts
Gallery: 192 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 04, 2009 19:32 |  #4

A very fine toothed saw.. Ed's recommendation of a hacksaw is a good one in that regard.

After the cut, there would be an epoxy resin you would want to coat the cut end with to help prevent any further damage, but I'm not sure what type.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

cicopo
Goldmember
3,624 posts
Gallery: 245 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Aug 04, 2009 19:51 |  #5

I've never worked with carbon fiber but work with fiberglass all the time (I restore Corvettes for a living) and I'd suggest the very fine toothed saw approach, such as a hack saw using a 32 tooth per inch blade, which is made to cut thin wall tubing or pipe. A better option might be to buy a coping saw & blade meant to cut ceramic tiles. There is a blade that in actual fact is more of a file than a toothed blade, so it won't shred the fibers. Before making the cut I'd use the tape trick, wrapped tightly to both protect & act as the guide, cutting right next to it. I'd also only cut part way through rocking along the side of the tape as far forward & backward from the top as is easily done, going all the way around by rotating the part as necessary, and continue doing this until through. After that I'd use a very fine sandpaper, preferable a wet & dry type around 360-400 grit with soapy water to sand & smooth the area with a slight radius (or bevel) to the end, inside & out. That should prevent any issues with chipping, fraying, or rough edges. If you go with the fine hack saw blade go slowly & do it the same way I suggested for the coping saw. USE LIGHT PRESSURE on the blade, don't rush it.

A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought.

javanutsy
THREAD ­ STARTER
751 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 04, 2009 20:01 |  #6

Thanks everyone for the great info!

ed rader wrote in post #8399970 (external link)
i was able to buy a short column for my benro but it cost me around $45.

I emailed Benro, but they seem slow to respond. Strange that they sell this tripod with 2 different center column lengths when purchasing the "kit" option versus "legs only", and not stating this very clearly.

cicopo wrote in post #8400075 (external link)
I'd also only cut part way through rocking along the side of the tape as far forward & backward from the top as is easily done, going all the way around by rotating the part as necessary, and continue doing this until through....

Thanks cicopo for your expertise! I will definitely keep your technique in mind if I decide to go through with it.

Someone from another forum also pointed out the following link which has a CF cutting faq at the bottom of the page in case anyone is interested:
http://www.carbonfiber​tubeshop.com/cut%20&%2​0bond.html (external link)

Anyone has the c068 kit center column and want to trade for the leg-only center column? ;)

galleryexternal link | gear

sponsored links

2,332 views & 0 likes for this thread
How to cut CF tripod center column?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.