Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 05 Aug 2009 (Wednesday) 17:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Optical flash trigger

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 05, 2009 17:20 |  #1

I have the 580ex II, is there a way to use an optical flash trigger on it? I put a flash on my hot shoe and then the 580ex on a tripod or stand and an optical triggering device under it. Can that be done and not short out the contacts since all the flash contacts will be in contact with a metal hot shoe adapter?

thanks.

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,171 posts
Gallery: 263 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 05, 2009 17:33 |  #2

the 580 will work on an optical slave in manual mode. Are you connecting it through the pc socket? I dont know what sort of hot shoe adapter you have but there are a couple types. The ones from flashzebra are deep enough that the flash contacts dont do metal on contact point. Another option is to unscrew the hot shoe adapater and use the plastic foot that came with your flash, it has a thread on it.

40Dude6aedyk
Goldmember
1,064 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 05, 2009 17:49 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #3

I lent a 580EXII to a colleague who used it in manual mode with an optical trigger attached to the foot. It sure seemed like it would fire just once by the trigger and then not again until turned off and on. I vaguely remember something funny like this reported on this forum, but since it wasn't my photo shoot, I didn't investigate further.

Canon 40D; Canon 70-200 mm f/2.8L IS, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, 85 mm f/1.8; 580EX II; Sigma EF-530 DG Super; CyberSyncs

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 05, 2009 18:52 as a reply to  @ 40Dude6aedyk's post |  #4

Ok..I haven't done anything yet, I want to be sure it all works fine and what to get before I give it a try. If I have to use it in manual mode then I may as well use my Vivitar 283, right?

But if I use it in manual mode, I'll have to adjust the power settings on the flash, right?

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,171 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 05, 2009 20:37 |  #5

Shooting wrote in post #8406586 (external link)
Ok..I haven't done anything yet, I want to be sure it all works fine and what to get before I give it a try. If I have to use it in manual mode then I may as well use my Vivitar 283, right?

But if I use it in manual mode, I'll have to adjust the power settings on the flash, right?

yes, unless you are using some trigger like the radio poppers that retains ettl there is no communication with the camera and its pretty much like using the 283. Except your 580ex is more efficient with batteries and you can zoom the head to change the angle of coverage. I dont know the relative guide numbers, but I'd guess the 580exII is a little more powerful than the 283.

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 05, 2009 21:24 |  #6

gonzogolf wrote in post #8407155 (external link)
yes, unless you are using some trigger like the radio poppers that retains ettl there is no communication with the camera and its pretty much like using the 283. Except your 580ex is more efficient with batteries and you can zoom the head to change the angle of coverage. I dont know the relative guide numbers, but I'd guess the 580exII is a little more powerful than the 283.

:( so that means I'll be shooting test after test while the people are waiting for the real pictures to be taken....don't want to do that..guess I'll save some money to get a radio popper so I can use the ettl feature and take less time testing so they won't have to get tired of waiting.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,171 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 05, 2009 21:25 |  #7

Shooting wrote in post #8407455 (external link)
:( so that means I'll be shooting test after test while the people are waiting for the real pictures to be taken....don't want to do that..guess I'll save some money to get a radio popper so I can use the ettl feature and take less time testing so they won't have to get tired of waiting.

or get a light meter, or get a 24ft ocf cord from flashzebra so your 580 can go off camera for about $55. Also keep in mind that the radio poppers still require a flash on the camera to serve as a master, all they do is change the canon infrared system to a radio system.

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,402 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 06, 2009 00:37 |  #8

40Dude6aedyk wrote in post #8406233 (external link)
I lent a 580EXII to a colleague who used it in manual mode with an optical trigger attached to the foot. It sure seemed like it would fire just once by the trigger and then not again until turned off and on. I vaguely remember something funny like this reported on this forum, but since it wasn't my photo shoot, I didn't investigate further.

www.flashzebra.com (external link) has optical units that are designed to overcome this issue. They work great on the EX units.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 06, 2009 09:57 as a reply to  @ Titus213's post |  #9

A friend gave me this link.
http://cgi.ebay.com/PT​-04-Wireless-Flash-Trigger-Receiver-580EX-SB-800-T1M_W0QQitemZ330332075​598QQcmdZViewItemQQptZ​LH_DefaultDomain_0?has​h=item4ce953764e&_trks​id=p3286.c0.m14 (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,171 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 06, 2009 13:17 |  #10

Those provide sync only, no ettl communications. They will allow you to fire the flash remotely, but no automatic exposure control.

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 06, 2009 20:54 |  #11

gonzogolf wrote in post #8411410 (external link)
Those provide sync only, no ettl communications. They will allow you to fire the flash remotely, but no automatic exposure control.

:cry:

so what would I have to get that would also provide exposure control?

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,171 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 06, 2009 22:29 |  #12

there are 4 options to do that. Another canon speedlight and use the built in wireless system, this uses infrared/optical triggering and requires line of sight. You can extend that capacity with radio poppers, or the new pw wizards. The cheapest, ($55) is the 24ft off camera flash cord from flashzebra.com

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 08, 2009 11:50 |  #13

gonzogolf wrote in post #8414300 (external link)
there are 4 options to do that. Another canon speedlight and use the built in wireless system, this uses infrared/optical triggering and requires line of sight. You can extend that capacity with radio poppers, or the new pw wizards. The cheapest, ($55) is the 24ft off camera flash cord from flashzebra.com

Ok thanks bunches..I'll go the cord route.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,171 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 08, 2009 17:30 |  #14

I think you'll be happy with it. Wireless options are nice, but this a lot cheaper way to retain ettl.

sponsored links

2,822 views & 0 likes for this thread
Optical flash trigger
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.