Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel 
Thread started 06 Aug 2009 (Thursday) 03:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Nike Missile Site SF88

anvilimage
160 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 06, 2009 03:08 |  #1

Just across the Golden Gate Bridge in the Marin Headlands lies one of the 24 Nike Missile sites in the SF Bay Area. All of the others are in various states of forbidden access/abandonment, but this one has been very well restored and has guided tours. More info about SF88 is on my photoblog @ www.anvilimage.com (external link).

IMAGE: http://anvilimage.smugmug.com/photos/611052634_3PZbE-XL.jpg

-joe

Joe Ercoli
My Photo Blog - www.anvilimage.com (external link)
My Flickr Photostream (external link)

sponsored links
firesuite
133 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 06, 2009 12:47 |  #2

Love your wesbite, I was up in SF not long ago and we went up behind the Golden Gate bridge also, there's some old concrete structures up there that we walked around in and got a few shots, nothing exciting but to me they looked like missile silos or something similar, any ideas what they are ? they were on the road heading up behind the bridge.

My Portfolio - www.grahamgilmore.com (external link)
Chernobyl Zone photography (external link)
Fine Art Photography Prints (external link)
5D | 5D mkIII | 16-35L | 24-105L | 100 Macro L | 70-200/2.8L | 580 EX II | Leica M9 | 35mm and 50mm Summicron | Holga 120s

anvilimage
THREAD ­ STARTER
160 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 06, 2009 14:07 |  #3

There are two different sets of bunkers on Conzelman Rd right above the GGB. The first one that you get to just as you start making your way up the hill is Battery Spencer. It was a coastal defense battery that had these huge 12 inch breech loading guns.

The other at the top of the road is Battery 129 where they had massive 16 inch guns that shot out a 2100 lbs slug. The top of that is also where the radar towers were located for SF88 and is a great spot to take shots of the GGB and entire Bay Area.

Joe Ercoli

anvilimage
THREAD ­ STARTER
160 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 06, 2009 14:09 |  #4

Here's a link for Battery Townsley, which is very similar to Battery 129:

http://www.nps.gov …ture/battery-townsley.htm (external link)

Here's one for Battery Spencer:

http://www.militarymus​eum.org/BtySpencer.htm​l (external link)

Joe Ercoli

firesuite
133 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 06, 2009 15:04 |  #5

You certainly know your stuff :) They are what I was describing for sure, interesting as i love abandoned places.I didnt get much luck up there with the GGB, it was a grey day and downtown behind it was barely visible, maybe next time :)

My Portfolio - www.grahamgilmore.com (external link)
Chernobyl Zone photography (external link)
Fine Art Photography Prints (external link)
5D | 5D mkIII | 16-35L | 24-105L | 100 Macro L | 70-200/2.8L | 580 EX II | Leica M9 | 35mm and 50mm Summicron | Holga 120s

heycow
771 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Aug 06, 2009 15:10 |  #6

Holy crap, I'm totally going to check this out! I never knew this was over there.

Cool photo in what looks like very tough lighting.

Hello, my name is BEN

Family Photos (external link) :: My Maya-A-Day (external link) :: One Owen-A-Day (external link)
Canon 40D :: Canon 24-105f/4L IS :: Canon 50f/1.4 :: Sigma 30f/1.4 :: Canon 580EXII w/Big FlipIt! :: Like a dozen different bags...Go Crumpler! :)

anvilimage
THREAD ­ STARTER
160 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 06, 2009 15:40 |  #7

Heycow: It was terribly overcast that day, which is unfortunately the norm for the area during certain times of the year. Nice blue sky with puffy clouds seen through the doors would have been cool, but I'll live... :)

Firesuite: There are three ways to get out there -

1. up the road that you were on and over the top where it turns into a one way down the backside and drops you in right near the Pt. Bonita lighthouse. A very photogenic spot worth the hike down the hill and through the hand dug tunnel through the rock... ;)

2. part way up that hill and turn right at the fork for a "normal" drive to Fort Baker.

3. There is a long one way tunnel through the hill that you can get to from the first exit past the vista point off of the GGB. I used to try to hold my breath through this one as a kid. That is, until I almost passed out once... hahah. I think it could be another cool spot for a pic, but I'm going to have to work out the approach/angle/composi​tion (you know what I mean).

Joe Ercoli

sponsored links

2,249 views & 0 likes for this thread
Nike Missile Site SF88
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.