Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 10 Aug 2009 (Monday) 13:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Handstrap for shooting horizontally and vertically?

Rocktoe
303 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 10, 2009 13:56 |  #1

Hi, I'm thinking of getting a hand strap since the neck strap just seems to get in the way of shooting too much... Are there hand straps that one can use both horizontally and vertically in a sensible way with a gripped camera? I'm a total newbie with them and haven't even seen one live so if this question is amazingly dumb, please let me know. ;)

Look behind you! A three-lensed camera!

450D | Sigma EF 530 DG ST Flash | Canon 50mm f1.4 | Canon 85mm f1.8 | Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 DC Macro | Canon 70-200 f2.8L |

sponsored links
dle42
153 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 11, 2009 02:35 |  #2

For that to work, It seems to me that you'd need two handstraps, and to devise a contraption that screws into the grip's tripod mount that provides the second mounting place for the strap. Other than that... you'll probably have to make do with a hand strap working in one orientation only.

Gear

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 11, 2009 06:49 |  #3

Which would suck and defeat the reason I have a grip. It might work for you, though.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Rocktoe
THREAD ­ STARTER
303 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 11, 2009 10:21 |  #4

bohdank wrote in post #8438194 (external link)
Which would suck and defeat the reason I have a grip. It might work for you, though.

Yeah, this is the way I feel too... Silly how the Canon hand strap requires a grip to be able to attach since the result will be this. :lol:

Oh well, I guess I'll just continue fighting with my Optech neck strap...

Look behind you! A three-lensed camera!

450D | Sigma EF 530 DG ST Flash | Canon 50mm f1.4 | Canon 85mm f1.8 | Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 DC Macro | Canon 70-200 f2.8L |

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,227 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Aug 11, 2009 17:22 as a reply to  @ Rocktoe's post |  #5

Maybe I'm physically challenged

Maybe I'm physically challenged but, in fifty years of shooting; I have never had a problem holding a camera for a vertical shot without a battery grip.

The only reason I got the battery grip when I used a 350D was that the darn body was too small.

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

dongnat
175 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 14, 2009 08:58 |  #6

Bought a camera with grip. After few weeks, I sold the grip, could not find the reason to keep it

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 14, 2009 10:59 |  #7

RPCrowe wrote in post #8441851 (external link)
Maybe I'm physically challenged but, in fifty years of shooting; I have never had a problem holding a camera for a vertical shot without a battery grip.

The only reason I got the battery grip when I used a 350D was that the darn body was too small.

I don't have a problem standing on one leg but I would be in pain or on my butt if I had to do it for 3 hrs :-)

It's not unusual for me to shoot 700+ shots over 3 hrs, in poor light, with 95% of the shots in portrait mode. A grip is far more comfortable, at the end of the day, and is more steady.

It has been the best bang for the buck camera purchase I have ever made.

Your mileage may vary.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 14, 2009 21:49 |  #8

If you shoot a lot of sports where you have the camera in portrait mode for a couple of hours at a time - a grip is essential. My wrist kills me after about an hour otherwise.

J.

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

awdark
72 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 18, 2009 03:12 |  #9

dle42 wrote in post #8437647 (external link)
For that to work, It seems to me that you'd need two handstraps, and to devise a contraption that screws into the grip's tripod mount that provides the second mounting place for the strap. Other than that... you'll probably have to make do with a hand strap working in one orientation only.

You can actually get those on ebay (search camera grip) for like $8. The one I got is slightly clunky and screws into the tripod mount. The only disadvantage is the neck strap can't be attached to the same loop. They do have a loop on the bottom next to where the thing screws into the tripod hole but its a good way of looking strange. :p

Lyndön
Goldmember
2,257 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 18, 2009 04:42 |  #10

http://www.blackrapid.​com/product/camera-strap/rs-4/ (external link)

Maybe something like this would be a better strap for you. Doesn't seem like it'd interfere with portrait shooting as much as the traditional strap.

GEAR LIST

Roy ­ Mathers
I am Spartacus!
39,973 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 18, 2009 04:57 |  #11

RPCrowe wrote in post #8441851 (external link)

Same here.

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,432 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Aug 18, 2009 13:57 |  #12

I only use OpTech Pro-Loop neoprene camera straps. They have many nice features - one is you can remove most of the strap with built-in connectors. When shortened, the remaining part does make a nice hand strap (wrapped twice around my hand.)

GEAR LIST

sponsored links

1,691 views & 0 likes for this thread
Handstrap for shooting horizontally and vertically?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.