Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions 
Thread started 10 Aug 2009 (Monday) 20:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Before & After #209

BitterSweet
Goldmember
1,253 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 10, 2009 20:37 |  #1

This game is to help those of us who are trying to learn new tricks when it comes to editing.

Here's the breakdown of the game. I will post a picture that I choose, resized to exactly 1024 pixels maximum on the long side. Outside of being resized it has to be unedited...meaning no adjustments to any levels, it has to look like it did as it came out of the camera.

The game will last 72hrs and whoever can produce the best edited image (as judged by me) will be picked and it'll be their turn to post their unedited picture for all of us to take a crack at.

The participants must have their "Image Editing OK" turned on and they must provide at least a simple breakdown of how they edited the image, some entrants are a little vague on this point, please give us all details so we can learn and share tips. For instance if you use the unsharp mask tool or Smart Sharpen, provide us with the adjustments you used so others can try them out.

You can post multiple images, but the first image you post will be the one that is judged - all other images will be considered for knowledge and tip use only.

Also, please keep all comments, be they positive or negative, to yourself until after the game has ended.

If you happen to be the winner of the game please start the next one with the title of the game and the following number. For example…the next game should read "Before & After #210".

This is all about having fun so have at it!!!

This game will end Thursday August 13th at 9:30PM EST

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i266.photobucke​t.com …4/Devilslilvamp​/ba209.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

Tracey McCloskey
www.Bitter-Sweet-Photography.com (external link)
Model Mayhem Link http://www.modelmayhem​.com/bittersweetphotog​raphy (external link)

sponsored links
Lore
Damn I failed the goat
2,961 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 11, 2009 02:06 |  #2

CS2 - Color, Levels, Contrast x's 2, Color Balance, Channel Mixer, Brightness/ Contrast, - dodged, burned, satuated, & sharpened eyes, saturated lips, dodging of dark areas of face, cloning and blurring of areas of face and upper body, other misc sharpening.
new layer eye shadow and cheek color ( eye shadow color taken from leaves, cheek color taken from lips)
new layer addition of themed body art just for fun

http://i19.photobucket​.com …78/silentlore/b​a209-1.jpg (external link)

I was inspired to take my photo and pull it even further into a 2nd edit as I was inspired by a Dove Ad Campaign http://www.youtube.com …v=hibyAJOSW8U&f​eature=fvw (external link)

lasso of each eye pulled into separate layers free transform & enlarge them d & eliminate veins as they are exaggerated once eyes are enlarged them & blend to create a natural look
lasso lower half of body, pull down to elongate neck, blend

http://i19.photobucket​.com …78/silentlore/b​a209_2.jpg (external link)

Lore
flickr (external link) - Website (external link) - Blography (external link)
"Every photograph tells a story, What's your story?"

bdbox
73 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 11, 2009 17:35 |  #3

CS4, Hue/Saturation on face, H/S on leaves, select hair and paste in new layer and linear light mode, adjusted curve layer to shine hair on forehead, un-blood eyes.
Thanks.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Canon XTi, Sigma 50 1.4, EF 16-35mm II
Site (external link)
Photo site (external link)

heathermarie
501 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 12, 2009 11:34 |  #4

Lets see if I can remember..
Curves to adjust hair lighter on top of head, color pop via rgb channels, levels for skin then masked out makeup, make new layer, add gassian blur, set layer to blending mode soft light and adj opacity. decided that wasn't enough, went back made another layer, add gaussian blur, set layer to blending mode soft light and adj opacity. masked out areas that were too dark. cloned out grass sticking out of head. added leaves at top right to frame picture. Dodged iris. Created new layer, added high pass filter, set layer to soft light, maked eyes so they were only sharpened.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Heather

Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 12, 2009 11:57 as a reply to  @ heathermarie's post |  #5

http://img.photobucket​.com …wg/Thetis%2009/​ba2091.jpg (external link)

Flip
Color Efex
Midnight
Center light
Dodge and burn/lighten eyes, slight sharp.

She is a beautiful woman, you took a lovely photo.

you're a great friend, but if Zombies chase us, I am tripping you.

Redfire_Cobra
872 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 12, 2009 16:59 |  #6

Well here is my first attempt at one of these, hopefully I didn't get too carried away.

BitterSweet I really like this portrait, as soon as the competition is over and we can discuss it I would like to know what your lighting setup was.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Here are the changes:
IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

In addition to these I cloned out the smaller secondary catch light in her eyes and applied some USM after flattening the image.

Canon 60D
Canon 50 f/1.8, Canon 70-200L f/2.8,
-Chris

spitfire23bc
41 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 12, 2009 17:26 |  #7

Well, this is my first time posting, although I've been playing with some of the photos for a little while. Here goes...

In GIMP:
Duplicate layer and gaussian blur
Add greyscale mask, set mode to addition, 50% opacity
Rotate
Add some more ivy top left(!)
Add some more colour to eyes, cheeks, lips
Vignette and border
Tidy up

http://i73.photobucket​.com …itfire23bc/ba20​9_edit.jpg (external link)

Mike
ugly when I'm sober
15,397 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2006

Aug 13, 2009 05:10 |  #8

Levels
Curves
Eyes brightened
Small guassian blur and lens blur to soften, erased round eyes and mouth
Skin saturation boost
Changed colour of the lips to match finger nails
Warming Filter added
I think that is everything! All done in CS2

HOSTED PHOTO

www.mikegreenphotograp​hy.co.uk (external link)
Gear
UK South Easterners
flickr (external link) Insta1 (external link) Insta2 (external link)

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

GregSteer
705 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Aug 13, 2009 09:41 as a reply to  @ Mike's post |  #9

Ok here's mine - not really processed portraits before so new territory for me.

All in LR.

Minor WB fix to warm it, Vibrance / Saturation adjustments (Vibrance up, Saturation down), Converted to Greyscale (toning tweaked via colour levels), my own green colour pop preset used (I can dig into the values if you want), Slight crop to remove bottom, Negative Gradiant filters in each corner except lower right to darken bg, Spot heals for the more vibrant freckles / mole, Local adjustment brush around various foliage items to darken via negative exposure, Local brush over skin areas with negative clarity, Local brush on lips to darken / inc contast + sat / colour fill, lots of brushes on the eyes / sockets to brighten pupils / darken pupil edges / increase whites exposure / remove saturation to get rid of blood vesell colours / darken eye makeup (counted 6 brushes for the eyes)

Think (!) thats about as detailed as I can mentioned without a complete re-run through LR history.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'text/html'

"Never trust a man, who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on" - Billy Connolly - [Gear] - [Flickr] (external link) - Call me Greg

Kendoway
Cropped and Creamed
3,793 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 13, 2009 13:33 |  #10

"I fell into a burning ring of fire...."

Just trying some more skin texturing, which in my humble opinion really works better with a an opaque item (bark, stone, metal, etc) vs flame which is already semi-transparent. Still I had some fun with this.

Lore (you asked about the Liquify tool last round - which has spurred me to mess with that again :) )

• Flame stock photo, pasted as new layer
  • Messed with the layer mode & opacity/fill.
  • Multiply for the new layer, also set opacity to 80% up.
  • Then transform Edit > Transform > Warp.
  • Eraser Tool
  • Merge layers > Multiply again > Sharpen tool
  • Dodge & Burn
  • Levels and curves.
  • Liquify on the eyes on mouth to add a malevolent look.

IMAGE: http://i26.tinypic.com/2k3qcl.jpg

☼ Christian D.
"Ask someone who’s running out of a burning home what they’ll grab. Nine times out of 10, it’s the photo album".
- Scott Bourne
Website (external link)
| FaceBook (external link)

monty28428
Cream of the Crop
10,121 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 13, 2009 20:03 |  #11

I did this a couple of days ago and forgot to post... so no real idea on the steps - but levels, dup layer - blur/mask, channel mixer, darken background

HOSTED PHOTO

BitterSweet
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,253 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 13, 2009 21:21 |  #12

Wow I forgot judging these things were hard lol. Everyone did such a great job. Please don't take the negative parts seriously it was the only way I could figure out what one to pick as the winner. I loved everyone of them.

Lore- The ivy tattoo thing is such a great idea and I even tried to do it myself but couldn't get it to look the way I wanted to.

bdbox- I like the eyes and the colors but I think the hair might be just a bit too bright.

heathermarie- I really like the whole glowing goddess type thing because that's what we tried to get during the shoot. The only thing I see wrong is the blur behind her head I'm not sure if I understand why it's there.

Flo- Love the b&w for the photo.

RedFire_Cobra- Awesome job...maybe if it was a bit darker in spots it would be perfect but that might be just me lol...Oh and all I used was natural light and a 430ex. Still learning my lighting with the flash so yeah.

SpitFire- I love the pale skin and pink cheeks because it give it a old greek goddess feel but I think the vignette was just a bit too inward.

Mike- I would have never thought about making her lips green or having her put on green lipstick on during the shoot but I wish I did for a couple of shots because it looks so different. The only thing I'm not sure about the edit is her skin looks a bit like a snake in color was that what you were going for?

GregSteer- I love how the hair and background came out but the skin is just a bit too bright (that can be because of my screen though)

Kendoway- Flame WOW....never ever would of thought about that. Extremely different and I love the death glare lol

Monty- Fantastic as usual. Great job turning the green to orange I even tried that once I think.

So like I said it was hard picking a winner...So the winner is ..... Redfire_Cobra.

Here is my edit if anyone wants to know.

http://i266.photobucke​t.com …amp/Goddess_003​1small.jpg (external link)

Tracey McCloskey
www.Bitter-Sweet-Photography.com (external link)
Model Mayhem Link http://www.modelmayhem​.com/bittersweetphotog​raphy (external link)

monty28428
Cream of the Crop
10,121 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 13, 2009 21:31 |  #13

Tracey that was pretty much a perfect image to start with!! Great job.

Congrats Redfire_Cobra - great edit!

Really awesome job everyone! Lore I loved the added body art -- I tried that to and ditched it as I could not get it to blend in that good!

GregSteer
705 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Aug 14, 2009 04:14 |  #14

Grats RedFire :)

There's only a very minor bit of clipping here on the lower right part of her dress - the skin brightness was deliberate but not blown, at least not at this end :)

"Never trust a man, who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on" - Billy Connolly - [Gear] - [Flickr] (external link) - Call me Greg

spitfire23bc
41 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 14, 2009 06:31 |  #15

Well done Redfire_Cobra - very nice.

BitterSweet wrote in post #8456138 (external link)
SpitFire- I love the pale skin and pink cheeks because it give it a old greek goddess feel but I think the vignette was just a bit too inward.

Cheers BitterSweet. Yep, the huge vignette was mainly because the rotation gave me these big empty bits on all the corners! I added a bit of ivy on the top left, but trying to add anything to blend with her hair and body would have been way beyond me!

sponsored links

2,326 views & 0 likes for this thread
Before & After #209
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.