Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 13 Aug 2009 (Thursday) 19:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

a 50mm question.

shooter ­ mcgavin
526 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 13, 2009 19:00 |  #1

So now that I have a Canon again (20D), I'm looking at which lenses I'm going to be investing in first. On my Nikon, the only lens I really used was the 50 f/1.4. I was looking through my archives and am really seeing that the 50mm on a crop really works well for me. Almost all of my best images are with the ef 50 f/1.8 II, but since I'm wanting to get into more paid portraiture work, I would feel pretty silly using that particular lens. It just doesn't seem like it would give a good impression to my clients. I am mostly happy with the lens' results though, besides maybe the bokeh.

I've been looking at the Canon 50 f/1.4, but most of what I've read about it has been on af failure. I'm all about reliable lenses if I'm paying hundreds for them, so I'm not so sure about that one. I've also looked at the new Sigma 50, but I'm not sure I want to deal with the focus issues I've heard. If I'm paying $500 for a lens, I want it to WORK.

I guess I'm just looking for suggestions on what my best options might be.
Does anyone use the ef 50 f/1.8 II for paid work, and if so, how do people react to it?
Are there any other lenses that would work well for me in this focal length?
I'm going to be getting a 85mm for the 5d I'm using at my internship...should I just go for the 50 f/1.8 for now and save until I could afford that combo for myself?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

sponsored links
wimg
Cream of the Crop
6,698 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 13, 2009 19:04 |  #2

I think people who are not camera geeks couldn't care less about your equipment, only about the results.

If you are worried about the fact that it looks so plasticky, get an older 50 F/1.8 Mk I instead from the used market, or maybe even a 50 F/2.5 CM.

Kind regards, Wim

EOS R & EOS 5 (analog) with a gaggle of primes & 2 zooms, OM-D E-M1 Mk II & Pen-F with 10 primes, 6 zooms, 3 Metabones adapters/speedboosters​, and an accessory plague

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 13, 2009 19:06 |  #3

Ditto.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

shooter ­ mcgavin
THREAD ­ STARTER
526 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 13, 2009 19:07 |  #4

Thanks Wim,
yea, ideally no one would care what it looks like, and since my 20d is gripped, that would help on the "impression", but I was just wondering if anyone has used it and had any negative feedback from clients because of its appearance.
I know I could just show them the images and shut them up, but that's not really the kind of relationship I'm looking to have with clients. I do want them to feel comfortable with the level of quality they would be paying for, you know?

wimg
Cream of the Crop
6,698 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 13, 2009 19:20 |  #5

shooter mcgavin wrote in post #8455526 (external link)
Thanks Wim,
yea, ideally no one would care what it looks like, and since my 20d is gripped, that would help on the "impression", but I was just wondering if anyone has used it and had any negative feedback from clients because of its appearance.
I know I could just show them the images and shut them up, but that's not really the kind of relationship I'm looking to have with clients. I do want them to feel comfortable with the level of quality they would be paying for, you know?

They are actually paying for the level of quality of the result, not the equipment, and that is something you can tell them too if they make any remarks about it. And if they continue to harp on it, I would ask them whether they want the job done or not, and whether it isn't up to the photographer to decide what equipment to use. If the answer to either of these questions isn't a confirmation, I would tell them that in that case they would have to do the job themselves.

Optically, the 50 F/1.8 Mk II is great, so why worry so much?

And what is really the problem with the "impression"? I would only mount a batterygrip if I needed it, for no other reason. I think you may be projecting your own feelings on a potential client.

Just don't worry, we all have/had to start somewhere (I started out with a Paraktica LTL and a Pentacon 50 F/1.8, dreaming of a much better camera'lens combination, if that is of any help).

HTH, kind regards, Wim

EOS R & EOS 5 (analog) with a gaggle of primes & 2 zooms, OM-D E-M1 Mk II & Pen-F with 10 primes, 6 zooms, 3 Metabones adapters/speedboosters​, and an accessory plague

shooter ­ mcgavin
THREAD ­ STARTER
526 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 13, 2009 19:35 |  #6

I do get what you're saying, and I'm sure you know better than I do, but those things you're saying about asking them "whether they want the job done or not?" is just the sort of thing I don't want to have to even deal with.
As far as the battery grip goes, the "impression" is just sort of a bonus, since I do like using it with smaller primes.

toxic
Goldmember
3,498 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 13, 2009 20:06 |  #7

You have an SLR. Is that not impressive to most people?

No one will notice or care. Unless they're a photographer themselves, in which case they shouldn't care.

wimg
Cream of the Crop
6,698 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 13, 2009 20:22 |  #8

shooter mcgavin wrote in post #8455658 (external link)
I do get what you're saying, and I'm sure you know better than I do, but those things you're saying about asking them "whether they want the job done or not?" is just the sort of thing I don't want to have to even deal with.
As far as the battery grip goes, the "impression" is just sort of a bonus, since I do like using it with smaller primes.

Well, the reason I mentioned this is because I first and foremost think that a client wouldn't even think about it, and secondly if they really do, it is their problem, not yours.

I did get the impression that you are worried about not being impressive enough with your gear, and the only thing I tried to do/show is that is something you needn't and shouldn't worry about.

Over here on POTN we are all gear heads, and do think occasionally about these things, but a client normally isn't a gear head and doesn't think about these things at all. He/she probably isn't interested, couldn't care less, and wouldn't even know the difference. That is my experience anyway.

Where I live and work, similar to what somebody else here mentioned, anybody with a dslr is considered to be a professional photographer, or a geek for that matter, or both. So as long as you have a dslr, you're set up to make a good impression equipment wise anyway.

Kind regards, Wim

shooter ­ mcgavin
THREAD ­ STARTER
526 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 13, 2009 20:31 |  #9

Thanks a lot Wim...that's what I wanted to hear. I would much rather spend the extra money on lights :)

wimg
Cream of the Crop
6,698 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 14, 2009 02:55 |  #10

shooter mcgavin wrote in post #8455887 (external link)
Thanks a lot Wim...that's what I wanted to hear. I would much rather spend the extra money on lights :)

Well, and that happens to be most impressive to a client :D

Kind regards, Wim ;)

sponsored links

975 views & 0 likes for this thread
a 50mm question.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.