Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 13 Aug 2009 (Thursday) 19:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

back to a Canon...YES

shooter ­ mcgavin
526 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 13, 2009 19:24 |  #1

I sold my 20D a while ago because the Nikon bug bit...you never know what you have until it's gone. I have a 20D again...I love it.
Just thought I would share some Canon love.

sponsored links
pcunite
Goldmember
1,478 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 13, 2009 19:26 |  #2

Wow! Could you elaborate some more?

PackingMyBags
225 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 13, 2009 19:32 |  #3

...and you hate Nikons how much?

shooter ­ mcgavin
THREAD ­ STARTER
526 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 14, 2009 08:58 |  #4

Yea, I should elaborate. No, I don't hate Nikons at all. I was very happy with my D200, but I personally like the feel, controls, and image quality from the 20D more. If I could have a D700 I would take it for sure.
I actually only "came back" to Canons because I got an internship with a photographer who uses Canons and wanted to be able to have my own camera as a backup for the 5D I'm using there.
My point is that I really liked my Canon when I had it, sold it because I wanted to try "the other side", and had a reason to come back, and I'm glad that I did.
I am actually really happy with the whole experience because it made me realize that I don't need to worry about other equipment, but only use what I have and love to use and if it's not working for me, move on to something else. Buying more/new gear out of curiosity is a luxury of the rich (which I hope to enjoy someday :))

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 14, 2009 09:05 |  #5

I don't consider changing to N*kon a bad thing, just a matter of taste. Camera equipment to me are the tools to what I love to do, like kitchen appliances or a car. Get comfortable with the way it works and enjoy it. It is silly to think that anyone can afford to switch expensive gear just as a whim. But as a pro, it's more important to learn your tools, whatever you choose and get the best results. I'm glad you found your comfort zone again. And I would love a D700 myself, it's a great camera, but I will keep my 5DII. It's attached to my right hand.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

Aiden
224 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 14, 2009 09:10 |  #6

Same thing I did, same thing.

5dc|28-75 f2.8|

jaykilgore
685 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 14, 2009 09:31 |  #7

I really like the d700 and especially love the 51 afp, but as a buddy of mine who has a d700 told me, "It's great to have when you can control it. When you put it on the far right hand side and need to change to mid to far right, that's 50 focal points you have to go through." I think it's one of those "grass is always greener" type things.

I want to buy a d200/d300 just to have so I can field questions, but I don't know how much I want to invest in a new rig.

The other main thing for me is getting used to a different body/controls. That's gotta be hard on the brain.

My blog! (external link) | Glamour Model Magazine  (external link)

markhandless
57 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 14, 2009 09:32 |  #8

congrats

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Aug 18, 2009 00:07 |  #9

jaykilgore wrote in post #8458671 (external link)
I really like the d700 and especially love the 51 afp, but as a buddy of mine who has a d700 told me, "It's great to have when you can control it. When you put it on the far right hand side and need to change to mid to far right, that's 50 focal points you have to go through." I think it's one of those "grass is always greener" type things.

Your buddy is mistaken. With 51 points displayed you only need to go through 10 points to go from one side to the other (at most) and 12 points corner to corner. If you have wrap turned on you only need to move one point from far left to far right.

And you don't need to display all 51 points while using 51 point AF, you can also set it to 11 points (11 points for manual selection, with all 51 points still used for AF-C/Dynamic AF Area).

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

Replaces
Goldmember
1,079 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 18, 2009 01:03 |  #10

Bob_A wrote in post #8478377 (external link)
Your buddy is mistaken. With 51 points displayed you only need to go through 10 points to go from one side to the other (at most) and 12 points corner to corner. If you have wrap turned on you only need to move one point from far left to far right.

And you don't need to display all 51 points while using 51 point AF, you can also set it to 11 points (11 points for manual selection, with all 51 points still used for AF-C/Dynamic AF Area).

True that.

Besides... I think Nikon controls are much easier when using manual b/c they have dedicated shutter speed dial and aperture dial all at the tip of your fingers. =)

"If you don't walk today, you have to run tomorrow."
Nikon, then Canon, then Nikon again. But I still love POTN over NikonCafe. :p

Nikon D90, MB-D80, Nikon D600, MB-D14, Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G, Nikkor AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8G VR.

woos
Goldmember
2,224 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 18, 2009 01:11 |  #11

Replaces wrote in post #8478542 (external link)
True that.

Besides... I think Nikon controls are much easier when using manual b/c they have dedicated shutter speed dial and aperture dial all at the tip of your fingers. =)

Yeah the Nikon stuff is great. So is the Canon. I prefer the canon feel and interface.

And I'm odd here but I find the one dial + held down button control on the rebel line much more intuitive than the dual dial setup on the higher end cameras lol.

amanathia.zenfolio.com

rsscp1
94 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 18, 2009 01:25 |  #12

I'm curious, how is it different from Canon xxDs and xDs where you can set the aperture and shutter speed using your thumb and index finger?

Canon EOS 5D Mark III | Canon EOS 50D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM

Replaces
Goldmember
1,079 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 18, 2009 01:28 |  #13

rsscp1 wrote in post #8478628 (external link)
I'm curious, how is it different from Canon xxDs and xDs where you can set the aperture and shutter speed using your thumb and index finger?

theres separate dials for both. But both of them by the shutter button (front and rear).
I find it much easier to use than Canon xxD bodies... maybe b/c i started out with a Nikon.... lol -_-a

"If you don't walk today, you have to run tomorrow."
Nikon, then Canon, then Nikon again. But I still love POTN over NikonCafe. :p

Nikon D90, MB-D80, Nikon D600, MB-D14, Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G, Nikkor AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8G VR.

POTN ­ Head
"proof that I have no life"
673 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 18, 2009 03:04 |  #14

SuzyView wrote in post #8458544 (external link)
N*kon

IMAGE: http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Respect/respect-048.gif

Jon- 5D

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 18, 2009 09:25 |  #15

True that.

I never understood why people seem to unanimously agree that nikon interfaces are better.

I find the Nikon rear wheel to be harder to use than the canon wheel. Say if you wanted to go from F/1.4 to F/11, it requires many swipes of the wheel to get there. The canon wheel lets you spin the wheel in one continuous circular motion to get there. It's much faster. Also, I can't stand the way they've set up ISO settings. It's a two hand operation and you basically gotta take the camera away from your face to change it. I'm so used to changing the ISO the canon way... with my face glued to the viewfinder. The rear directional control pad is very difficult to press a direction accurately. The canon one isn't great either, but it's a little easier to use. And I find the Nikon menu system sloppy compared to Canons. (I specialized in interface design in university) Nikon menus have many submenus you have to browse through. The canon system is almost all one level only, except custom functions, because there are so many of them.

For example, I use WB shifts a lot and shoot in manual Kelvin mode. With canon you just select "WB SHIFT/BKT" on the menu and you're there. On my nikon, you select White Balance and then you're FORCED to select a white balance type (flash/cloudy/shade/in​candescent/kelvin etc...), and then you're FORCED to select a Kelvin value before you can finally get to the SHIFT grid. But all I wanted to do was define a shift and change nothing else.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

sponsored links

2,879 views & 0 likes for this thread
back to a Canon...YES
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.