Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 19 Aug 2009 (Wednesday) 07:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Aug 09 7D Rumor Thread with pics. (since the 1D4 = fail we move on )

weezerfan84
903 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 25, 2009 11:09 |  #541

jacobsen1 wrote in post #8520272 (external link)
see, you guys keep thinking a fast FF body will make the 5Dii obsolete... But canon makes a 1Diii and 1DsIII. They're not a whole lot different than what we're saying here, yet canon gladly carries both in the line and gets a very nice premium for the 1Ds. people also thought there was NO WAY canon would dump 21mp in the 5Dii as it would "kill 1DsIII sales!" and look what happened there.

and as I keep saying, if the sensor cost goes down even though the wafer space is the same with a 12mp sensor (or 16), and they use the same memory but just bump the FPS they could be SAVING money with the 7D which would mean they wouldn't care if it killed the 5Dii all together. Having something FF and ~12mp and fast to compete with the D700 is a lot better than losing customers to Nikon. Would you rather steal your own money, or let your competition steal it? ;)

FULL FRAME!!!!!

The difference between the 1ds3 and 5d2 is that the 1ds is FF and has wicked fast AF and more AF points. It is a lot more camera then the 5d2, and lets not forget it's a true pro body.

If the 7d was truly a FF sensor with fast AF, more FPS, and more AF points, and for a cheaper price then the 5d2; then why would people even look at the 5d2. Even if the MP's were dropped to 12-15, people would still overlook the 5d2. The 5d2 requires a big upgrade for most shooters on this forum, unless they want to shoot in sRAW. Who knows how many people purchased the 5d2 that are not on any particular forum, but Canon is not going to want to harm the 5d2 with a cheaper FF camera with more speed.

Look how long it took Canon to actively replace the 5d classic.

Canon 5D classic/Canon 85 1.8/17-40L/Siggy 50 f/1.4 ex/430ex speedlite/and some books

My slowly improving flickr (external link)
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=735845

sponsored links
CJinAustin
Goldmember
2,361 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 25, 2009 11:15 |  #542
bannedPermanent ban

I'm thinking the D7, if it happens, will be comparable to a Nikon D300.

I've shot a 50D and a D300 and the D300 is lightyears better. That's the camera they need to match.

- GEAR -
Canon 1Ds Mark V | Canon 5D Mark IV | Canon 7D Mark II
50 1.0L IS| 85 1.0L IS | EF 10-1000L f/1.0 IS DO USM | 17-4000L IS | 24-7000L IS | 70-2000L 2.8 IS | Canon G12 | 580EXIII | 430EXIII

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,553 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 25, 2009 11:17 |  #543

CJinAustin wrote in post #8520370 (external link)
I've shot a 50D and a D300 and the D300 is lightyears better. That's the camera they need to match.

That was my thinking as well. Having shot both the D300 just feels like a pro camera in a smaller body. The 50D feels like a consumer camera in a bigger body. It's night and day.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

weezerfan84
903 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 25, 2009 11:30 |  #544

Nikon DX format is 1.5 crop factor correct? If so, it would be crazy to see Canon do a 1.6 crop with that speed. I would much rather see it in a 1.3 factor!

Canon 5D classic/Canon 85 1.8/17-40L/Siggy 50 f/1.4 ex/430ex speedlite/and some books

05Xrunner
Goldmember, Flipflopper.
5,750 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Dec 2005

Aug 25, 2009 11:31 |  #545

weezerfan84 wrote in post #8520331 (external link)
The difference between the 1ds3 and 5d2 is that the 1ds is FF

??? last time I checked the 5DII was fullframe

My gear
Fuji X-T2, Fuji 18-55 2.8-4 OIS, Fuji 35 f2, Fuji 50 f2, Fuji 90 f2, Fuji 55-200 3.5-4.8 OIS
Sony RX100 II

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 25, 2009 11:32 as a reply to  @ gjl711's post |  #546

weezerfan84 wrote in post #8520331 (external link)
The difference between the 1ds3 and 5d2 is that the 1ds is FF and has wicked fast AF and more AF points. It is a lot more camera then the 5d2, and lets not forget it's a true pro body.

right, but at more than TWICE the price, plus the 1DsIII is also LACKING in some specs (video, price and ISOs)

If the 7d was truly a FF sensor with fast AF, more FPS, and more AF points, and for a cheaper price then the 5d2; then why would people even look at the 5d2.

my theoretical version of the 7D has the same AF as the 5Dii. It's got the same points etc, just tweaked to track faster. So the only differences is you TRADE MP for FPS. They'd either need to implement the pellicular mirror the patented last year or improve the mirror assembly to handle the speed, but otherwise I'd be the same memory in the same chassis (probably adding a pop up flash).

I agree adding 1 series AF would kill the 5Dii sales if a 7D were FF and ~16mp as some 5Dii buyers are getting 1DsIIs instead. But I don't see them putting 1 series AF in the 7D, or 60D for that matter.

and while the D300 may beat the 50D in some specs, it doesn't BLOW it away IMHO. It's got better AF and a nicer sounding shutter, but what else? FPS with a grip (which is a trick canon needs to learn). But beyond that, the D300 COSTS more which is why it gets the added AF boost. IMHO the 60D will get an IQ boost via better processing to catch the D300 in terms of noise while keeping the extra MP and will remain with the lower AF counts.

are 50D owners really crying about their AF too these days? Because I hear it a lot from 5Dii POTENTIAL owners, but not really the guys who bought them. Hell, I even know a few nikon to canon converts who will say the nikon AF is great, but it's not that big a difference (citing accuracy is better with canon).

I think a lot of people make 1 series AF to be much more important than it is for most of us. Yes it's better, no doubt, but how many of us NEED it? How many of us NEED the AF from the D300/D700. And I'm CONSIDERING switching to a D700 right now (my 5Dii drowned Sunday) so these are all things I'm taking a look at. AF speed isn't a huge deal for me with the switch as I was very happy with my 5Dii. But the FPS are very alluring for me. ;)

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

WAFKT
43 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 25, 2009 11:38 |  #547

timbop wrote in post #8516372 (external link)
No, the 7D, if it exists is a 1.6 cropper. Making it a 1.3 cropper with more "pro-like" AF would put it too much in the realm of the 1d series. Recall that Canon intends to eliminate the aps-h format (don't make me put the reference here, just accept it), so coming out with another 1.3 cropper would be silly...

sth_ wrote in post #8516814 (external link)
As for APS-H, Chuck Westfall already stated (last year, I think) that it will die out. And I can understand why. In Canons old "full-frame whitepaper", they explain why APS-H came into existence in the first place - it was the largest sensor format they could produce with "normal" techniques (simply speaking). That, of course, doesn't mean we will see a sub-$1000-FF-camera anytime soon (these sensors will always be way more expensive than APS-C) but it eliminates the need for APS-H, at least technically. Personally, I think a professional crop-body would eliminate the need for APS-H more or less completely.

There had been talk about eliminating the APS-H size sensor in this next evolution of the 1D since it is now physically and financially viable to make a FF that is >10fps, but Canon relented because the large majority of sports and press shooters (the people who typically purchase the 1D) prefer to stick with APS-H, as they've become familiar and comfortable with the 1.3 FOVCF. Many people talk about smaller-than-full-frame cameras and though they are somehow less than complete. 'Full Frame' is somewhat of a misnomer in digital photography - different sensors for different needs.

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 25, 2009 11:43 as a reply to  @ WAFKT's post |  #548

^ tell that to nikon. ;)

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 25, 2009 11:54 |  #549

jacobsen1 wrote in post #8520459 (external link)
I think a lot of people make 1 series AF to be much more important than it is for most of us. Yes it's better, no doubt, but how many of us NEED it? How many of us NEED the AF from the D300/D700.

"Need" is a moving target, and hard to define. I don't think I need 1-series AF for my shooting, but I do need better outer AF points for portrait shooting as well as general off-center composition. Slapping a dumbed-down 1-series AF assembly in there would be an easy way to go about it--just disable a few points and the helper points and you're good to go (wouldn't be the first time Canon disabled hardware features in firmware)--but I would be very happy with much fewer AF points as long as they were well placed and cross type.

And I'm CONSIDERING switching to a D700 right now (my 5Dii drowned Sunday) so these are all things I'm taking a look at.

Oh, man. My condolences. :cry: I know how much you loved that thing.

I haven't used a D700, but its cross type points are clustered in the middle, which wouldn't solve my AF problem either so it's not even a consideration for me. Plus their lens lineup doesn't match what/how I shoot. I'd still like to see a Canon equivalent to the D700 (FF, pro AF, weather sealing for less than $3K), but no longer expect one.

What are you going to do about lenses? Nikon don't have those nice f/4 constant zooms. And what about that 24L? Nikon have a few superlative lenses (14-24 f/2.8 for instance), but for me Canon still have the edge as a complete lens lineup.

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 25, 2009 12:09 as a reply to  @ Yohan Pamudji's post |  #550

^ yeah, the nikon brings sealing to this platform though so it's a consideration. But this is the first wrecked body in ~15 years of shooting for me as well so we'll see. I do however expect/hope the 7D is a D700 with a canon mount, and I was saying that before I wrecked mine.

As for the AF, I've owned a 1 series and everyone's posts on 5D AF made me unnecessarily nervous. Of course I also came from older canon film bodies where I had to AF then switch to MF for serious action because AI servo would blow the shots back then. I also watered my 1 series down to ~13 points when I had them which was more than enough. My only complaint at this point is the 5Dii could use CROSS TYPES in all locations, but the speed and accuracy is/was perfect for me, even for sports, when it could see the contrast.

as for the lens lineup, here's the plan if I go:
My lenses:
sigma 12-24 my go to UWA
canon 17-40 (only used when I need filters or sealing)
canon 24-105 (not used much)
canon 100-400 (awesome, but I've been considering a 70-300 for travel and 150-500 when I need serious tele options)
15mm FE
24L
50 1.4

For Nikon I'd go:
I'd maybe treat myself to the 14-24mm. It's an EPIC lens. But I don't love 2.8 zooms for size/weight issues and that thing is a monster. It's also not as wide as the 12-24 and both have the same filter issue. But the 14-24mm is SO GOOD optically I might try it. If not I'd go with another 12-24mm. The 17-40 would be skipped. The 24-105 would possibly be skipped as I don't use that range much with zooms. For tele zooms I'd go with their 70-300 and either wait, or get the 150-500 for when I need reach (especially because the D700 has less cropping pixels). For primes I'd have to go with the sigma 24mm 1.8. I've also been on the fence about my primes lately so I think I might try their 85mm 1.4, but either that or the sigmalux again.

Basically, I'm always tweaking my lens lineup to try different ideas/approaches. Switching to nikon would FORCE me to try a few of my current thoughts because they don't have the exact lenses I do and some are cost prohibitive. So that's a good thing. It'd also allow me to see what it's like a know for sure I'm on the right system (part of the reasons I'll switch lenses then switch back, at least I know!)...

but if the 7D is what I think/hope, that's the camera for me. I'm also nervous about the D700 because I'm betting a D700s is in the works and I've actually been having fun with video with my son. :)

My Gear List

my sites:
GND buyers FAQ

illusionest
5D MkII? CHECK!
932 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Aug 25, 2009 12:18 |  #551

more rumors... it might just be a 1.3 crop... ya? from the info below it seems it will be priced higher than the 5D2
http://www.canonrumors​.com/ (external link)

canon rumors wrote:
="canon rumors"]- First Prosumer dSLR with Dual DIGIC processors from Canon.
- First Prosumer dSLR with dual card slots from Canon.
- Camera will NOT be full frame, but no crop given.
- Video features will best the 5D Mark II.
- Better AF as compared to the 50D & 5D Mark II.
- Noise Control is better than 50D and arguably better than the 5D Mark II.
- Very similar pixel density to the 5D Mark II.

Matthew Law
Gallery (external link) | My Gear | IG: @matthew.law (external link)

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 25, 2009 12:23 as a reply to  @ illusionest's post |  #552

if the pixel density is the same as a 5Dii that puts it as a ~12.4mp 1.3 or ~8.2mp 1.6... So 1.3 could happen, but no way would they go to a 8mp 1.6 body. Plus, with the "same pixel density as a 5Dii" that eliminates ANY reach advantage of both crop factors. ;) (meaning not likely).

My Gear List

my sites:
GND buyers FAQ

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,370 posts
Gallery: 555 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 25, 2009 12:29 |  #553

jacobsen1 wrote in post #8520757 (external link)
if the pixel density is the same as a 5Dii that puts it as a ~12.4mp 1.3 or ~8.2mp 1.6... So 1.3 could happen, but no way would they go to a 8mp 1.6 body. Plus, with the "same pixel density as a 5Dii" that eliminates ANY reach advantage of both crop factors. ;) (meaning not likely).

Sounds unlikely to me as well, Sounds WAY too good for the price to be honest and i really doubt a 8.2mp 1.6x crop would sell...Even a 12.4 1.3 might be a tough sell for some people...

and Jacobsen, the Sigma 12-24 accepts 82mm filters from 16mm+ :)

Also someone has a Cokin filter holder working on one from 12mm with no problems :)

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

weezerfan84
903 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 25, 2009 12:32 |  #554

05Xrunner wrote in post #8520456 (external link)
??? last time I checked the 5DII was fullframe

I was stating that not only is the 1ds FF, but also offers superior AF points and speed. I obviously know that they are both FF. It's just that what people are wishing of the 7D if it was FF is not realistic in a price point that wouldn't put it up in 1ds territory in price.

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,370 posts
Gallery: 555 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 25, 2009 12:35 |  #555

weezerfan84 wrote in post #8520807 (external link)
I was stating that not only is the 1ds FF, but also offers superior AF points and speed. I obviously know that they are both FF. It's just that what people are wishing of the 7D if it was FF is not realistic in a price point that wouldn't put it up in 1ds territory in price.

I'd argue that, Nikon offers what most people want in a 7D in the D700 which is only about $2700 new...

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

sponsored links

126,308 views & 0 likes for this thread
Aug 09 7D Rumor Thread with pics. (since the 1D4 = fail we move on )
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.