Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 19 Aug 2009 (Wednesday) 07:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Aug 09 7D Rumor Thread with pics. (since the 1D4 = fail we move on )

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,370 posts
Gallery: 555 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 26, 2009 18:28 |  #631

weezerfan84 wrote in post #8528427 (external link)
Just found this. If this is true, then a BIG DISAPPOINTMENT.

http://www.canonrumors​.com/2009/01/canon-60d-7d-cr2/ (external link)

Fall 2009
Just received some information about the replacement of the 50D.

The camera is to be launched in the fall of 2009 and on sale for Christmas.

You can expect it to be branded “7D” the source says. The “xxD” moniker is going away. There is a perceived confusion with customers between Canon and Nikon model numbers. I actually hear people saying model numbers wrong all the time.

Specs:

* 15.1mp (apparently it will be the same sensor with some internal upgrades)
* DIGIC V (DIGIC IV a stopover to a big advancement in processing)
* New 13 Point AF
* 1080p Movie Mode
* 8fps
* 3″ VGA LCD
* 98% VF
* New Battery
* Weathersealing
* Ergonomic Upgrades
* 1x Compact Flash and 1x Secure Digital Slots

Some might say “why would Canon put DIGIC V in the 7D and not 5D2?”. Remember Canon has outspecced xxD cameras with Rebels in the past. People also scoffed at the 21mp notion of the 5D2 with the 1Ds3 around. You’re only as good as your latest camera I guess.

I've considered that to be the most realistic spec sheet for a while..please note its from January too :)

As for the newest info on canonrumors:

http://www.canonrumors​.com …oadmap-odds-ends-cr1-cr2/ (external link)

7D design goals sound too lofty, "fastest DSLR ever" sounds like a 1D Mark IV goal, Not a 7D goal...Maybe "fastest in its price range" would be more accurate...9fps vs the D300s 8...and if it does 9fps at 14-bit it EASILY kicks the D300s across the court...

As for articulating screens, Note that Nikon didnt include one on the D300s, and I'm betting I know the reason for it, it would mean more joints, thus harder weathersealing as well as a reduction in rear screen size and possibly also meaning the body gets thicker or the screen protrudes out the back of the camera...

T1..no complaints at all..sounds exactly what the T1 is going to be to me..

60D/1D4, I'm starting to feel the 1D4 wont be in the pipeline this year, and I think thats a good thing, I think if we wait a bit Canon wont have another 1D3 fiasco on their hands...

As for the 60D I heard from a Canon rep that they were going to launch the next xxD about a year after the 50D..I still feel that the 50D's successor is on the way, I dont know why...As for the resoltion, I honestly think that with a bit of tweaking they can get better dynamic range and noise performance from the 50D sensor...So I dont think it needs a megapixel decrease to fix its largest criticism...

70-200 f/2.8L IS II..I said that already didnt I?

New 500 and 600L lenses? What could they really improve on them is my question...But that said, the 300mm f/2.8L IS is quite perfect..hm...I might put my money on the 400 f/2.8L and the 600 f/4 more than the 500 though, Especially if we're considering sports...the 400 and 600 are more common at sports I believe than the 500...

I still am not sure on a new 135L to be honest, That lens is legendary as being one of Canon's best and to my knowledge has pretty much NO complaints about it...its fast, contrasty, sharp, flare resistant, built VERY well, lightweight, small, discrete...

How can you improve it?!

Anyways, if the 7D is indeed what I want, a quick fast crop camera, I might start saving my pennies up towards it and suffer with my 30D a bit longer..Even if i am about ready to chuck it...:(

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

sponsored links
weezerfan84
903 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 26, 2009 18:32 |  #632

Caught the date and already noted it.

Canon 5D classic/Canon 85 1.8/17-40L/Siggy 50 f/1.4 ex/430ex speedlite/and some books

My slowly improving flickr (external link)
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=735845

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,370 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 26, 2009 18:35 |  #633

weezerfan84 wrote in post #8528590 (external link)
Caught the date and already noted it.

Ah sorry musta done that as i was typing..

I still think thats the most realistic spec sheet though..I've based my specs off it for a while now at least :)

smcclelland
Goldmember
2,686 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 26, 2009 18:54 |  #634

weezerfan84 wrote in post #8528427 (external link)
Just found this. If this is true, then a BIG DISAPPOINTMENT.

http://www.canonrumors​.com/2009/01/canon-60d-7d-cr2/ (external link)

Fall 2009
Just received some information about the replacement of the 50D.

The camera is to be launched in the fall of 2009 and on sale for Christmas.

You can expect it to be branded “7D” the source says. The “xxD” moniker is going away. There is a perceived confusion with customers between Canon and Nikon model numbers. I actually hear people saying model numbers wrong all the time.

Specs:

* 15.1mp (apparently it will be the same sensor with some internal upgrades)
* DIGIC V (DIGIC IV a stopover to a big advancement in processing)
* New 13 Point AF
* 1080p Movie Mode
* 8fps
* 3″ VGA LCD
* 98% VF
* New Battery
* Weathersealing
* Ergonomic Upgrades
* 1x Compact Flash and 1x Secure Digital Slots

Some might say “why would Canon put DIGIC V in the 7D and not 5D2?”. Remember Canon has outspecced xxD cameras with Rebels in the past. People also scoffed at the 21mp notion of the 5D2 with the 1Ds3 around. You’re only as good as your latest camera I guess.

I'm hoping that's out of date as you posted but overall I feel that's a mighty big let down as far as being poised as a 'D300 killer'. Using the same sensor as the 50D just screams big mistake and introducing yet another new battery?! COME ON... stop wasting our money and investment in batteries and learn to re-use a little. 13-point AF? Given the spread of the 40D/50D there's nowhere I can see useful that they'd jam 4 more AF points and make me cheer about it. Weathersealing would be nice as I loved my Mk3 for it being so durable yet anytime it pours rain and I'm out with the 40D I can hear it start to whine to be let inside.

I'm gonna aim high for September 1st and expect to settle somewhere on the low end of my expectations ;)

Shawn | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link)
There used to be Canon gear here but it disappeared.

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,370 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 26, 2009 18:59 |  #635

smcclelland wrote in post #8528701 (external link)
I'm hoping that's out of date as you posted but overall I feel that's a mighty big let down as far as being poised as a 'D300 killer'. Using the same sensor as the 50D just screams big mistake and introducing yet another new battery?! COME ON... stop wasting our money and investment in batteries and learn to re-use a little. 13-point AF? Given the spread of the 40D/50D there's nowhere I can see useful that they'd jam 4 more AF points and make me cheer about it. Weathersealing would be nice as I loved my Mk3 for it being so durable yet anytime it pours rain and I'm out with the 40D I can hear it start to whine to be let inside.

I'm gonna aim high for September 1st and expect to settle somewhere on the low end of my expectations ;)

The new battery is so we get more accurate battery readings than "Dead, Dying, OK!" ;)

Nikon and Sony have this, Canon does not, my guess is that it will just be the 5DII's battery...it would make sense..

weezerfan84
903 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 26, 2009 19:02 |  #636

The spec sheet from January '09 makes too much sense. Already can get a 1ds3 and 5d2. I would like an affordable and updated FF, but affordable is different for everyone. An affordable FF for me is anything under $1500. I got my 5d classic for a damn good price, and it was after used classic prices started to raise. People are offering virtually the same camera as mine without the grip for $200 more then what I paid for mine. The only difference is there's comes with the manuals and CD's. I can get those same manuals and CD's on ebay for $50. I've pretty much moved all my editing to LR2 and PSE7 and have just stopped using DPP. LR2 just offers more editing I like before I add any type of PS flares.

I do agree that the January spec sheet is much more realistic, now that I've seen it. It creates a very fast and affordable crop body. I would like to see it as a 1.3 or FF, but Canon would be killing the 5d2 and 1ds sales. Look at how many people want to go FF, but haven't because they want the newest and bestest, and the 5d2 is out of price range.

I respect Canon's decision for doing what will make them the most money, even though that will most likely mean another 1.6 crop camera. My used 5d classic does me dang well right now. Already used to using the viewfinder and top LCD. Before I only used the viewfinder to meter.

Canon 5D classic/Canon 85 1.8/17-40L/Siggy 50 f/1.4 ex/430ex speedlite/and some books

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 26, 2009 19:07 |  #637

Here's a "what if" to chew on:

Someone mentioned that this mythical 7D might be built as a "1D-Lite" so and since the concensus seems to be that that Nikon puts "pro" features in their "prosumer" bodies, what if Canon were to haul off and "marry" the FF and IQ of the 21Mp bodies (5DMkII / 1DsMkIII) with the mechanical capabilities of the 1DMkIII.

And, maybe, two sizes of sRAW (say, 8Mp and 12Mp) which would allow for even faster FPS?

Just spitballin'

And honestly, given the reduction in Mp of the G11 Vs G10, I don't know what max size the full RAW from such a body would actually be.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

weezerfan84
903 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 26, 2009 19:19 |  #638

That January 2009 spec sheet just makes too much sense to me, now that I've seen it. I also thought the 7d was going to be FF or APS-H, but with the "7D" "replacing" the xxD series, then it would have to be a APS-C.

Canon still needs a prosumer body with speed. The rebel is definitely not prosumer. The T1i is close, but the ergonomics just don't scream "prosumer." FF screams landscape and wedding. APS-H screams speed for sports, and 1ds screams everything in one package. All these types of bodies come with a price. I see it as this, would you trade a $1.00 for $.85?

The D300 still screams nice camera, but it also lacks in areas as well. It's still a crop factor. If the D300 was a FF, then I would thoroughly be impressed, but even Nikon isn't that dumb. Yes, it's cheaper to manufacture FF sensors now, but they still hold that "magic" about them. That magic comes at a price, no matter how cheap it can be manufactured for.

Look at canned goods. Del-Monte and Great Value are probably canned in the same factory; however, people will pay more for Del-Monte because it's associated with something that "does" taste better.

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 26, 2009 19:29 |  #639

Weezer, all that screaming is giving me a headache. I gotta leave the room for a while.

weezerfan84
903 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 26, 2009 19:43 |  #640

I screamed when I typed it too.

weezerfan84
903 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 26, 2009 19:45 |  #641

I'm just ready to see what the "7d" has to offer. I know my 5d got me out shooting. My 40d didn't get me out like my 5d does. When I get out my 5d, I get excited. Wouldn't mind seeing an affordable FF, but I know it won't happen. I know it would make so many people on this forum excited. *Screamed the entire time.*

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,370 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 26, 2009 19:57 |  #642

weezerfan84 wrote in post #8528972 (external link)
I'm just ready to see what the "7d" has to offer. I know my 5d got me out shooting. My 40d didn't get me out like my 5d does. When I get out my 5d, I get excited. Wouldn't mind seeing an affordable FF, but I know it won't happen. I know it would make so many people on this forum excited. *Screamed the entire time.*

Lol..

My 30D can still bring a smile to my face thankfully, it is starting to feel dated though and im eager to upgrade a bit...5D wont suit my needs very sadly..

I admit im really excited to see what Canon gives us on the 1st..I might end up changing things around and buying a lens while i wait to get money to get a 7D...Sadly all my "saving" for a 60D has been based it will cost less than $1800....going above $2000 is going to be difficult for me sadly..

sbrian28
114 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 26, 2009 20:02 |  #643

Stealthy Ninja wrote in post #8524460 (external link)
Matter of opinion.

Personally I dislike greatly the "feel" of nikon cameras,they feel very awkward to me.

Each to their own.

Also, IMHO nikon over do the buttons. But YMMV.

It's definitely a matter of opinion. Ironically, back in the film days I bought an Elan IIe because it had more external controls vs the Nikon 8008/N80 or whatever the Nikon equivalent was. Now, I bought a Nikon because Canon has internalized a lot of the controls.

http://www.silvertouch​photography.com (external link)http://photos.silverto​uchphotography.com (external link)
My Flickr (external link)

sbrian28
114 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 26, 2009 20:04 |  #644

Freebs wrote in post #8524705 (external link)
OK so a Friend of mine is a Canon Sponsored Tog and he has his hands on it. He wont say much but after a few beers I managed to get a few things out of him.

First he gave me a riddle: said "144 million reasons a sec to buy a new camera"

Then in conversation during the night I managed to get the following info, not confirmed.
Name is 7D
Its a new niche
14MP Cropped
10FPS
Video and Pics at same time
dual cards

He said the launch in SA is the 10th of Sept. I have pre ordered.

How do you pre-order a camera that doesn't exist yet?

http://www.silvertouch​photography.com (external link)http://photos.silverto​uchphotography.com (external link)
My Flickr (external link)

McChook
57 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 26, 2009 20:25 |  #645

My $0.02

If canon release a "7D" for the BestBuy price of $2499, I would expect it to be FF (or APS-H)as it is the same price as the 5DII.

Why do they care if it canabalises 5DII sales, either way its their ****ing camera, and they are short supplied on the 5DII anyway.... The target market with the 5DII is people who currently own Canon bodies...Not converts

Unless, the price is wrong, and its much cheaper, it couldn't be 1.6x at $2499.

sponsored links

126,659 views & 0 likes for this thread
Aug 09 7D Rumor Thread with pics. (since the 1D4 = fail we move on )
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.