Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 19 Aug 2009 (Wednesday) 21:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Cheap(?) studio lighting

Erik ­ S. ­ Klein
uppity vermin fan
1,039 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 19, 2009 21:06 |  #1

I need some reasonably flexible studio lighting for part-time use. I'd prefer continuous lighting to strobes and softboxes or octoboxes to umbrellas.

I'll also need a boom for one of the lights.

Use will be mostly product-type shots with some portraiture.

One of the options I'm considering is here (external link). Another here (external link).

Ideally it should set up quick and break down for fairly compact storage/portability.

Yeah, I'm asking a lot! :D

Any thoughts, suggestions, options?

Thanks!

Gear List
www.vintage-computer.com (external link)

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,132 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 19, 2009 22:06 |  #2

Just my 2 cents. The first kit is going to be hot, its very uncomfortable for the subject for portrait work and anything thats heat sensitve for product shots. The second I would discount because its fluorsecent and I think its hard to get good full spectrum color out of flourescent. Is there a compelling reason not to do flash? If its to remain in your comfort zone I would hope you wouldnt let that get in the way of learning flash because I think you can get better quality for about the same price with flashes.

Erik ­ S. ­ Klein
THREAD ­ STARTER
uppity vermin fan
1,039 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 19, 2009 22:23 |  #3

gonzogolf wrote in post #8490483 (external link)
Is there a compelling reason not to do flash? If its to remain in your comfort zone I would hope you wouldnt let that get in the way of learning flash because I think you can get better quality for about the same price with flashes.

It's not a comfort zone thing - I don't really have anything but ad-hoc lighting right now so anything is an upgrade.

My issue(s) with flash are mainly that the systems I've seen that can recharge and shoot quickly are way over my budget once you add up the power pack, heads, softboxes, stands, booms, etc.

Even if I went out and got a couple of 430EXs to slave to my 580 and added some softbox diffusers I'd be out nearly what these continuous systems cost.

So, basically, I haven't found a flash system that's inexpensive enough for my needs. What system do you suggest in the $500 range?

Gear List

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,132 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 19, 2009 22:30 |  #4

Erik S. Klein wrote in post #8490568 (external link)
It's not a comfort zone thing - I don't really have anything but ad-hoc lighting right now so anything is an upgrade.

My issue(s) with flash are mainly that the systems I've seen that can recharge and shoot quickly are way over my budget once you add up the power pack, heads, softboxes, stands, booms, etc.

Even if I went out and got a couple of 430EXs to slave to my 580 and added some softbox diffusers I'd be out nearly what these continuous systems cost.

So, basically, I haven't found a flash system that's inexpensive enough for my needs. What system do you suggest in the $500 range?

But you are investing $500 in crap, that you will never be able to upgrade.
2x http://www.amazon.com …ional-Flash/dp/B00004TVSP (external link)

and
http://www.amazon.com …to&qid=12507388​69&sr=1-23 (external link)

with enough left over for radio triggers.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,132 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 19, 2009 22:35 |  #5

Or this kit
http://www.calumetphot​o.com/item/CF0502K1/ (external link)

FlashZebra
This space available
4,427 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 19, 2009 22:35 |  #6

Unless you are taking images of things that do not move, go for some sort of flash setup.

Even if you can only afford one flash unit now, that is likely a better choice.

Enjoy! Lon

http://flashzebra.com/ (external link)

57hardtop
760 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 19, 2009 23:38 |  #7

+1...I just picked up this exact kit Monday and can't express enough how happy I am with it...by FAR the best small beginner kit on the market for the money (and you can grow with it as you get more experience and decide you want to add to it)...and all for about the same cost as one 580.

Roger
Gear list and feedback
http://retouching-on-the.net/forums/ (external link)

Austin.Manny
Goldmember
1,040 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 19, 2009 23:43 |  #8

Here you go, just switch out the Cactus V2's with some V4's.
About $450 too (when you opt for the V4's.

http://www.mpex.com/br​owse.cfm/4,12322.html (external link)

450D Gripped | Σ 30 f/1.4 | 85 f/1.8 | 18-55 IS
LumoPro LP180 | Yongnuo YN-460 |
RF-602

Flickr (external link)

LeeSC
816 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 20, 2009 00:03 as a reply to  @ Austin.Manny's post |  #9

I didnt know what I wanted initially either and have found I use my strobists setup all the time. The versatility of them is amazing. In addition to the standard lightstands/modifier, pick up a couple of clamps and you can put a flash dern near anywhere.

GEAR

Erik ­ S. ­ Klein
THREAD ­ STARTER
uppity vermin fan
1,039 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 06, 2009 19:55 as a reply to  @ LeeSC's post |  #10

As a follow-up to this question I figured I'd post what I'd found and found out in case it helps someone someday.

I ended up doing a bit more research (here and on a few other forums including Strobist) and then helped my wife out a bit while she was, in turn, helping out a friend doing RE photography.

The setup for that turned out to be a nice strobist outfit with my 5DII and 580EXII + a couple of borrowed 430EXs, a variety of modifiers and a Cactus V2 set.

All in all it was fun to play with and the results were great. There's a lot to learn about light placement and balancing natural and strobed light, but you just can't do that without trying.

As a coincidence while all of this was going down I chanced upon a Novatron 1500VR setup (4 heads, power pack, etc.) at a good price on Craigslist and snapped it up. . . and now I have to wait for my camera back to play with it! :)

Gear List

sponsored links

1,874 views & 0 likes for this thread
Cheap(?) studio lighting
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.