Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 25 Aug 2009 (Tuesday) 14:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

imac or pc+killer monitor

jic2
55 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 25, 2009 14:35 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

I'm fairly new to photography and I'm not a computer geek. My question is should I spend the money on an imac 24" maxed out (2500+$) Or should I go the pc route with more powerful hardware and a better monitor? I have a 50d and shoot raw. I am using LRII (haven't gotten to deep in the software world due to the need for hw upgrade). My current computer is a 3+ year old hp pavilion lap top with 1g ram, 80g hdd, 17in mon, centrino duo 1.6gh, and a nvidia gf 7600 gc. I plan on getting an external hdd to get me by space wise but one gig of ram is not cutting it. I plan on suffering through until windows 7 comes out and I here that apple announces new products in the fall (imacs, snow leopard osx..). I'm not into video editing (at least not yet)and games are for consoles but it would be nice to have the option for these apps. Basically I want a system that will allow me to run multiple programs without bogging down, last for at least five years, and has a monitor that will display as much of the rgb as possible for $2,500 +/-. The system I'm looking for is going to be used mainly for still photography (running LRII, cs4, and dpp at the same time).

thank you for any input.
jic2

sponsored links
MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2007

Aug 25, 2009 15:44 |  #2

*sigh* - there are a dozen or more threads on this very topic.

The ONLY reason to go with a Mac is because you love OS X ... same with the PC. If you don't care, then just go get a PC and save yourself (and us) a headache ;)

If you love OS X then wait a month or two for the new iMac's which will drop in price and have (hopefully) better specs. Mac's cost more, so if you 'like' OS X but cannot afford it then there are options on easy ways to put OS X on your PC. It takes a little knowhow and putting a computer together yourself - again, pretty easy but def. hands on work.

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 25, 2009 15:51 |  #3

That laptop is a bit outdated now...

If you have a 2500 budget, you can get yourself a great system, 1.1k on the computer (i7 920+6gb ram) and the other 1.4k on the monitor (EIZO and LaCie monitors are that price, as are the better NEC. you can also go for a 30" dell if you like overkill). It'll be as fast as the baseline mac pro (likely with a few better upgrades like video card, memory, and hdd space), and will smoke a iMac of any type. And you also get a monitor all in that price. You can also try your hands at getting two 22" dell 2209WFP (500-600 total) or even two 24" U2410 (about 1440 total) if dell releases them outside of japan sometime soon.

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

Moppie
14,880 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Aug 25, 2009 18:49 |  #4

MaxxuM wrote in post #8521740 (external link)
*sigh* - there are a dozen or more threads on this very topic.

Lots of great threads on the subject, but everyones needs are different :cool:

I can't see any reason to get an iMac, unless you have some irrational need to use OS-X.

A quad core desktop running Vista (and soon Windows 7) will be 2-5 times faster, just as stable, give you options for internal and external HDDs for back ups, and you get to choose your own monitor.

The iMac will look pretty, has a fixed, built in monitor known to have brightness issues on some examples, has a single, non-user upgradeable HDD and use's an out of date lap top based processor.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

iAMB
847 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 25, 2009 19:01 |  #5

Moppie wrote in post #8522679 (external link)
Lots of great threads on the subject, but everyones needs are different :cool:

I can't see any reason to get an iMac, unless you have some irrational need to use OS-X.

A quad core desktop running Vista (and soon Windows 7) will be 2-5 times faster, just as stable, give you options for internal and external HDDs for back ups, and you get to choose your own monitor.

The iMac will look pretty, has a fixed, built in monitor known to have brightness issues on some examples, has a single, non-user upgradeable HDD and use's an out of date lap top based processor.

+1 And thats coming from a MacPro user. If you are diehard about OSX, then get the Mac, simple as that. You can, on-the-otherhand, get the same power and what not from a desktop with Vista or Windows 7. An iMac, in my opinion after much deliberation, seems to be a glorified latptop. Once you purchase it, you cant do much in terms of hardware replacement or expansion. If you truly want the Mac machine to do it all, the MacPro is the way to go. Granted thats if you want/or need OSX. I cannot go back to Windows after using Mac, but thats just me. I find it more convenient using Mac. But there are better, and cheaper alternatives than the iMac. Have you thought about either a MacPro or MacbookPro with the display? You can get refurbished ones for $599 on Apple.

I bet you never would thought to hear a Mac user suggesting a PC in my entire rambling would you :)

Canon 6D Mk I
24-70mm F/4L , 70-200mm F/4L , 50mm 1.8 I , Rokinon 14mm F/2.8 & 35mm F/1.4
"I'm so far behind, it looks like I'm winning"
-Adam

Moppie
14,880 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Aug 25, 2009 19:22 |  #6

The other option would be a second hand, last generation MacPro.
I have no idea what they are worth in the US, but a single quad core model with basic ram and HDD can be had for less than US$2,000 here. You could then add extra discs and RAM and your own monitor to have what would be a low end Quad Core today, but it will still have 2-3 times the performance of a new iMac.

flickr (external link)

wlescall
512 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 26, 2009 07:06 |  #7

IIRC a refurbished previous generation Mac Pro 8 core 2.8 GHz runs about $2200-2300 when available in the Apple Store.

Bill
EOS 5Dmkiii, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 mkii, 580 EX II , Canon EF 24-105 mm f/4L, Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS
2 desktops & 2 laptops (PC & Mac each)
Chronon Photography (external link)

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 26, 2009 09:27 |  #8

wlescall wrote in post #8525155 (external link)
IIRC a refurbished previous generation Mac Pro 8 core 2.8 GHz runs about $2200-2300 when available in the Apple Store.

Yea, that's the problem with mac pros, they just don't drop in price even after showing their age. Not many options left for the monitor that way.

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

tupper
Tupperware Party Sheep
2,432 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 26, 2009 09:33 |  #9

iMac has been good to me, 24" screen is great. Now I just want a Macbook Pro to accompany it..

Ewan
SONY A7r
1N - 5D2 - 15 2.8 - 17-40L- 24LII - 50L - 85 1.8 - 70-200 2.8
O-MD - 20 1.7 - 50 1.8 - 135 3.5

ewantupper.com (external link) - facebook fanpage (external link) - twitter (external link) - 500px (external link)

Moppie
14,880 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Aug 26, 2009 16:52 |  #10

wlescall wrote in post #8525155 (external link)

What about a 4 core?
Still heaps of performance, but should be a lot cheaper than an 8 core.

flickr (external link)

squaresnappr
278 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 26, 2009 23:08 |  #11

jic2 wrote in post #8521358 (external link)
I'm fairly new to photography and I'm not a computer geek. My question is should I spend the money on an imac 24" maxed out (2500+$) Or should I go the pc route with more powerful hardware and a better monitor? I have a 50d and shoot raw. I am using LRII (haven't gotten to deep in the software world due to the need for hw upgrade). My current computer is a 3+ year old hp pavilion lap top with 1g ram, 80g hdd, 17in mon, centrino duo 1.6gh, and a nvidia gf 7600 gc. I plan on getting an external hdd to get me by space wise but one gig of ram is not cutting it. I plan on suffering through until windows 7 comes out and I here that apple announces new products in the fall (imacs, snow leopard osx..). I'm not into video editing (at least not yet)and games are for consoles but it would be nice to have the option for these apps. Basically I want a system that will allow me to run multiple programs without bogging down, last for at least five years, and has a monitor that will display as much of the rgb as possible for $2,500 +/-. The system I'm looking for is going to be used mainly for still photography (running LRII, cs4, and dpp at the same time).

thank you for any input.
jic2

Go for the Pc. Imac is approaching the end of the cycle as you already stated.

My Gear
http://www.solofotogra​phy.com (external link)
http://www.modelmayhem​.com/1896508 (external link)

jic2
THREAD ­ STARTER
55 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 06, 2009 15:40 |  #12
bannedPermanent ban

Thanks for the input. sorry It took so long for reply. had to deal with unfortunate business(death in family). I think I will go pc route and use the extra money on the most important thing a new lens. Thanks again.

jic2

sfocato
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 15, 2009 04:10 as a reply to  @ jic2's post |  #13

I just had the same doubt.
Finally I decided for a good monitor + desktop PC spending around 1400€ for monitor and 800€ for pc.
After reading thousand of posts I restrictd the field as below:
- monitor: NEC SV 2690 or LaCie 526 or EIZO 241/243
- PC: Intel core I5, with Win7 (32 or 64?).

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 15, 2009 09:17 |  #14

sfocato wrote in post #8825677 (external link)
I just had the same doubt.
Finally I decided for a good monitor + desktop PC spending around 1400€ for monitor and 800€ for pc.
After reading thousand of posts I restrictd the field as below:
- monitor: NEC SV 2690 or LaCie 526 or EIZO 241/243
- PC: Intel core I5, with Win7 (32 or 64?).

You can also go cheaper for the monitor, so far the U2410 has stellar reviews.

Core i5 + 7 64bit sounds good, just make sure to get 8gb ram. If you can spend a bit more on the desktop and a bit less on the monitor, I would highly suggest swapping the i5 for an i7 860, you'll get a large increase in speed. And best of all, i7 860 is pin for pin compatible with the i5, so it's usually offered as an upgrade, or you can just keep the motherboard and order a better chip

Gear List

sfocato
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 16, 2009 02:18 as a reply to  @ basroil's post |  #15

Basroil,
I really appreciate your post. At office I am using a Dell 24 TN and I did not know the model you said. I read some review and it seems a good monitor (IPS panel based). It sound very "strange" the price. Here 549€ including VAT and shipment! So 1/3 of my budget. I am surprise. Do you think this monitor will be enough for me? I mean: is it comparable to LaCie 526 or NEC SV Reference 2690 or others in the normal "photo editing" use?
Does it have hte possibility of hardware calibration? Do you own it?

And abot PC: I also read about i5 750 vs i7 860 but i7 860 here costs a lot: more than i7 920 so my opinion, as you said was to stars with i5 750 and maybe switch to i7 860 in future without change mobo. Otherwise to start with i7 920 (different socket) to switch to other i7 so the doubt is between i5 750 and i7 920. Here on forum I read a lot of guys have i7 920. Is it maybe better for our purposes?
Finally do you suggest to buy a complete system ex. dell sell good config i5 and i7 based (but I do not know abuot mobo type, ram brand, HDD, grafic card) or to put together the pc myself?

Thanks to you and other guys that can help me:lol:

sponsored links

4,651 views & 0 likes for this thread
imac or pc+killer monitor
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.