Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 27 Aug 2009 (Thursday) 04:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Warning, disturbing photo inside! "Grip R.I.P"

Martin.D
Goldmember
2,460 posts
Gallery: 150 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 27, 2009 04:21 |  #1

So you clicked, I did warn you! :D

If you're like me and a little heavy handed then take note of the following, I know I'm not the first becuase there are a similar stories across the internet

I could have left the grip on untill I made the next upgrade but I wanted to get it done sooner rather than later. I over tightened the grip to a state of not being able to un-do it :eek: So with a little brute force I turned the wheel and nothing, a free spin! :D ok not funny :( €150 a time it's not something you want to do a second time!

Moral of the story DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN YOUR CAMERA GRIP - if you do then see the photos below becuause there is no other way of getting it off. Removal process took about 15 minutes, I did try using a different method of turning the little bolt on the inside but I could not get a grip on it..

New one in the post but for now I can only look at the final result's and look back at our good times together.. :D

Canon BG-E2N R.I.P fella

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3502/3861740678_0f5d35834b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …album/386174067​8/sizes/o/  (external link)

Web Site (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Instagram (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Canon 5D Mark IV + Canon 90D + Glass

sponsored links
kent ­ andersen
Goldmember
1,071 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 27, 2009 04:29 |  #2

Ouch.... that hurts!!

Living in Austria, I am so glad that there is stuff like Gimp out there...
I am a happy giver, so if you find any misspelling in my text, you can keep them... :)
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/41388512@N05/ (external link)

thenickster5792
68 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 27, 2009 05:13 |  #3

AHHH!!!
MY EYES!!!

but seriously, did you use a rubber band and try to untwist it off?
i had a situation similar before, you just gotta get another grip on the wheel to get it off.

My Website (external link) Flickr (external link) Gear List

~~Nick Nguyen

Headshotzx
Goldmember
4,488 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 27, 2009 05:26 |  #4

O_______O

Zexun | Flickr (external link) | YouTube (external link) |

Headbone
86 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 27, 2009 05:29 |  #5

Such a sad sight:(

I'm getting my BG-E2N on Friday and honestly hope that this does not happen.

1D Mk III - 7D - EF 50mm f1.8 - EF-S 10-22 - EF 70-200 f/4 L IS - EF 24-105 f4 L

OneMac
84 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 27, 2009 05:34 as a reply to  @ thenickster5792's post |  #6

It's not your fault, it's Canons bad design :mad:

I don't like slack equipment and my grip just didn't feel 'connected' so I suspect it's going the same way :rolleyes:. Sometimes I can move the wheel and it just rotates but the rest of the time it stays put. There seems to be no logic to when it happens - cold/heat, wet/dry, sunny/cloudy but as I'll probably never sell the camera it can stay there for the time being.

So, are you going to get a replacement and when do we lobby Canon to come up with a better design/materials ???  ???

Al

PS - nice pics..... :(

Canon 7D & Grip,
Canon 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L
Canon 70-200mm F2.8 L Mk II,
Canon 400mm F5.6 L
Small stepladder :eyes

Vulcan58
Goldmember
1,790 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 27, 2009 05:39 |  #7

I recently had the misfortune of the "spinning" thumb wheel syndrome.
Luckily for me it was the last turn of the thread holding it to the camera and a sharp tug got it off.
Never the less it still cost £80 to get the wheel replaced (and the damned thing was just out of warranty).
I've heard of similar tales of stuck grips and use of hacksaw blade surgery to get them off, resulting in severely scratched camera base.

GerBee
Goldmember
1,026 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 27, 2009 06:19 |  #8

It's good to highlight this, maybe retitle and ask for a sticky.

I consider myself lucky to have removed my grip on a couple of occasions, as mentioned, mine also loosened for no apparent reason and then was locked solid ~ but I left it until it loosened itself in due course.

For what we pay for these, against the 3rd party products, their build is not up to what one would expect of a Canon product.

sas8888
835 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 27, 2009 06:28 |  #9

Just checked mine... We are good to go. Thanks for the warning

Scott
gripped 5D MkII

Box ­ Brownie
Cream of the Crop
10,193 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 27, 2009 07:06 |  #10

Crumbs! I have just gotten my BG-E2n and will be adding to my 40D soon.

What gets me is that simply replacing the turn wheel with a machined metal unit rather than the plastic one would 'solve' the stripped wheel issue ~ even better would have been a design where the mounting screw was direct acting not indirect as now! Having said that how many have Canon sold & how many have suffered with stripped cogs??? All manufacturing is about the numbers game!

That was a great meal ~ you must have a good set of pans :p
Images for a photographic memory (external link) | Flickr (external link) | >>>My 500px<<< (external link)
credit line is vanity, payment is sanity

Martin.D
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,460 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 27, 2009 07:17 |  #11

OneMac wrote in post #8531112 (external link)
It's not your fault, it's Canons bad design :mad:

I don't like slack equipment and my grip just didn't feel 'connected' so I suspect it's going the same way :rolleyes:. Sometimes I can move the wheel and it just rotates but the rest of the time it stays put. There seems to be no logic to when it happens - cold/heat, wet/dry, sunny/cloudy but as I'll probably never sell the camera it can stay there for the time being.

So, are you going to get a replacement and when do we lobby Canon to come up with a better design/materials ???  ???

The problem is the wheel, (inside) its made of plastic - If you over tighten and the wheel slips when trying to loosen it you end up rounding a couple of the teeth in turn it start's to slip and more teeth wear off...

The wheel needs to be thicker and the inside cog that turns on to the bolt that screws inside the camera body needs to be made of a different material other than plastic.. Or allow the grip to be unscrewed to allow dismantling when fitted, you can not access the top plate when the grip is fitted to pull it apart!.

It was not difficult to get off just time consuming to prevent damage to the camera body..

Web Site (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

CyberPet
Hiding Under a Rock
4,052 posts
Joined May 2005

Aug 27, 2009 07:28 |  #12

Why did you remove the grip? I'm not following.

/Petra Hall
Click here to view my geeky gear list
I shoot as much as possible in available light... sometimes, my flash is available – Joe Buissink

Martin.D
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,460 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 27, 2009 07:30 |  #13

CyberPet wrote in post #8531399 (external link)
Why did you remove the grip? I'm not following.

I want to upgrade to a 5D Mk 2 but it's one of those things that end up bugging you, can not sell it on knowing the grip can not be removed..

Had to be done sooner or later..

Web Site (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

moemoe6434
448 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 27, 2009 07:30 |  #14

So how did you remove it?

https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=14246741#po​st14246741

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,836 posts
Gallery: 235 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 27, 2009 07:33 |  #15

Well Martin I am in the same boat; mine is stripped also on the 50D. I didn't overtighten it, at least I don't think I did. I think, like other product, it's affected by the weather (i.e. hot, cold etc.) so it shrinks and swells. Fortunately, I don't plan to sell it though but would like to get off and see if it could be repaired under warranty.

Can anyone recommend a less evasive method?

Gear
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

sponsored links

27,438 views & 0 likes for this thread
Warning, disturbing photo inside! "Grip R.I.P"
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.