Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Aug 2009 (Thursday) 15:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Are you Shooting HAMSTTR? - ETTR - Expose to the right

mccamli
Goldmember
1,108 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 06, 2014 07:45 |  #301

Madwrench wrote in post #16665310 (external link)
I see Magic Lantern has an Auto ETTR module now - has anyone played with that?

Yes, I use it regularly. It has worked very well for me and I'm now happy to use much higher ISO's in my 7D than I was before.

It only works in Manual mode and I frequently forget to turn it off when I'm using AV and the camera gets really confused!

I've posted this before on another thread but it was taken using auto ETTR at 3200 ISO (that was the max I'd allowed it to go to) and would seem to indicate that's there's plenty of head room above that...I used to struggle with 800 ISO.

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3702/12243066043_c34ec92192_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/mccamli/1224306​6043/  (external link)
IMG_9148-Edit.jpg (external link) by Mccamli (external link), on Flickr

You can also combine auto ETTR with Dual ISO if that tickles your fancy!

Flickr (external link)
500PX (external link)
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
17,342 posts
Gallery: 444 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 06, 2014 07:47 |  #302

that makes me wonder to try out ML on my 5D3. it's not a stable version though and hate to downgrade my canon firmware.

| VINZ - SONY A7SIII(2) | A73 | A6000 | Fujifilm X-T4 | Sigma105 | FE1635F4 } Tamron 17-28 Tamron 28-75 | FE50F1.8 | SEL30mm F3.5 Macro | Fujinon 10-24F4 | Fujinon 56F1.2 | Fujinon 35F2 |
INSTAGRAM (external link)- WEBSITE (external link) - FACEBOOK (external link) - 500PX (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,460 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Feb 06, 2014 07:58 |  #303

vinmunoz wrote in post #16667707 (external link)
that makes me wonder to try out ML on my 5D3. it's not a stable version though and hate to downgrade my canon firmware.

Same here, thus why I haven't loaded ML on my 5D3. :(

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,492 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Feb 06, 2014 12:28 |  #304

ML works fine on my 5D2 and I use it constantly, but after using the Auto ETTR for a while I decided that like auto anything I often don't agree with the choices it makes and then have to change them to the equivalent exposure with different parameters. I find it faster to use the Raw histogram in LV and the spot meter set to show a readout in EV below Raw clipping. I point it the brightest element and adjust in M until it reads -0.5.

Elie / אלי

heldGaze
539 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 19, 2016 23:00 |  #305

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #8534003 (external link)
  • Others had been seeing similar results, and very quickly word spread around that this was in fact a very effective technique.
    Further Reading:
    Roger Cavanagh, and early POTN Contributor on Expose to the right (external link)

• This link in the OP is giving a 404 not found error.

Cameras: Sony α7R II, Canon 40D, Samsung Galaxy S7
    Lenses: Canon 11-24mm f/4 L, 24-70mm f/2.8 L II, 50mm f/1.8 II, Sigma 18-200mm
    Telescope: Meade LXD55 SN-6" F=762mm f/5, with a 2x Barlow T-Mount
    Retired Cameras: Canon SD300, Nokia N95, Galaxy S, S3 & S4
    C&C Always Appreciated

PineBomb
    I have many notable flaws
    2,470 posts
    Gallery: 92 photos
    Joined Apr 2014

Feb 19, 2016 23:17 as a reply to  @ heldGaze's post |  #306

It's an old link, and the author's homepage states that the site's been under reconstruction for over a year.

-Matt
    Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link) | street portrait project on instagram (external link)

sponsored links

157,280 views & 4 likes for this thread
    Are you Shooting HAMSTTR? - ETTR - Expose to the right
    FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
    AAA
    y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
    Register to forums
    Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
    Privacy policy and cookie usage info.