Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Aug 2009 (Thursday) 15:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Are you Shooting HAMSTTR? - ETTR - Expose to the right

zincozinco
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 02, 2009 15:59 |  #31

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #8562039 (external link)
Well, no, the point is that ETTR / HAMSTTR will give less noise than, and better color info than a "mid range" HAMS. (histogram and meter setting)

is this starting again :eek:

Living the life, overexposing...
Web (external link), Blog (external link) Name: Mike, Maik, Micke or just zinco.

sponsored links
CyberDyneSystems
THREAD ­ STARTER
Admin (type T-2000)
52,274 posts
Gallery: 192 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 02, 2009 16:01 |  #32

P.S. though confusion with the way Daniel was stating this info is what sparked the term "HAMSTTR".. all kudos for pointing out the intricacies of the ISO push go to Daniel Browning!

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 02, 2009 16:21 |  #33

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #8571517 (external link)
P.S. though confusion with the way Daniel was stating this info is what sparked the term "HAMSTTR".. all kudos for pointing out the intricacies of the ISO push go to Daniel Browning!

Absolutely!

But watch out for using a high ISO -- it causes more noise:)!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
THREAD ­ STARTER
Admin (type T-2000)
52,274 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 02, 2009 16:26 |  #34

Dude,. don't confuse us!

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 02, 2009 16:28 |  #35

Heh:)!

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

oaktree
Goldmember
1,835 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 02, 2009 16:37 |  #36

Although knowing its problems, I lean towards shooting to the left. I guess I'm trying for the Rembrandt effect of a "shaft of light" with figures hidden in the dark shadows.

Too much stuff, not enough shooting time.

Canon T4i (2 lenses), Fuji X100s, Olympus OM-D EM-1 (3 lenses)

zincozinco
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 02, 2009 16:42 |  #37

tonylong wrote in post #8571634 (external link)
Absolutely!

But watch out for using a high ISO -- it causes more noise:)!

Here we go....

Living the life, overexposing...
Web (external link), Blog (external link) Name: Mike, Maik, Micke or just zinco.

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 02, 2009 17:34 |  #38

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #8571495 (external link)
Curtis, when you get a chance, read the POTN thread from last month, also linked in my initial post.

Ok, I will read those 459 posts, when I have a few days of spare time. :D

tonylong wrote in post #8571346 (external link)
I saw this pretty dramatically when I shot an ISO 1600 shot, getting a well-exposed shot (when amplified by the ISO) then taking the same shot using the same shutter speed and aperture but at ISO 100, and then trying to boost the shot (by four stops) in PP. It was ugly!

I think anyone who has tried to crank up a badly underexposed shot with a RAW converter understands that it's better to use the camera's ISO to get the exposure right, whenever possible.

And when you extrapolate that premise, it's not hard to understand that ETTR (HAMSTTR) will work, even when you use ISO to do it. So I will take back what I wrote in post #18 about the concept only applying to the camera's lowest ISO setting when you have shutter speed to spare.

And if HAMSTTR truly involves all of that, then it is a multi-faceted concept, involving multiple phenomena related to digital image technology.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

buddy4344
Goldmember
1,537 posts
Gallery: 400 photos
Best ofs: 14
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 02, 2009 17:55 |  #39

This is all very interesting. I always have tried to expose right to lower noise. I have found shooting on the flats in Botswana a challenge. It is flat and open with a cloudless sky. If one exposes for the surroundings, the elephants or hippos are a dark spike on the left of the histogram. Recovering detail is a battle with noise. I shoot as far right as possible, even willing to blow a few landscape details. Obviously, this is less of an issue at the golden hours when the sun is to your back.

I would love to hear others thoughts on how to shoot this challenging setting.

Buddy4344

Gear: Canon 1Dx MkII, 7D MkII, Canon Lenses: 100 macro, 100-400 Ver.IIL IS, 24-105L IS, Canon 17-40, Canon 1.4x TCon, Rokinon 14mm. Kenko extension tubes, Kenko 1.4x pro TCon.and Kiboko 30L and 22L+

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 02, 2009 18:25 |  #40

buddy4344 wrote in post #8572154 (external link)
I would love to hear others thoughts on how to shoot this challenging setting.

5-shot bracketing and HDR. ;)

Seriously, I'm often shooting scenes with so much contrast that HAMSTTR doesn't come into play, as I'm using the camera's entire dynamic range to begin with and hoping not to clip channels on both ends.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 02, 2009 18:49 |  #41

Curtis N wrote in post #8572061 (external link)
Ok, I will read those 459 posts, when I have a few days of spare time. :D
I think anyone who has tried to crank up a badly underexposed shot with a RAW converter understands that it's better to use the camera's ISO to get the exposure right, whenever possible.

And when you extrapolate that premise, it's not hard to understand that ETTR (HAMSTTR) will work, even when you use ISO to do it. So I will take back what I wrote in post #18 about the concept only applying to the camera's lowest ISO setting when you have shutter speed to spare.

This is the cool thing that has come to light, at least with the Canon cameras that have been tested -- ISO 1600 amplification actually introduces less noise than ISO 100 amplification -- can you dig that? The high noise we see when we have high ISO shots is from the low-light exposures amplified, but would be much worse if amplified in PP.

And if HAMSTTR truly involves all of that, then it is a multi-faceted concept, involving multiple phenomena related to digital image technology.

True that it's multi-faceted, because the first rule is to let in as much light as you can within the parameters of getting the shot you want/need, but then you can actually improve the noise performance with "ITTR" (ISO to the right) if you have the highlight headroom. And yeah, it's digital -- we all know what high ISO film does to you!

Tony

CyberDyneSystems
THREAD ­ STARTER
Admin (type T-2000)
52,274 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 03, 2009 10:37 |  #42

Curtis N wrote in post #8572061 (external link)

I think that's the crux of it...
Maybe Daniel was more spot on too keep the two aspects in two terms,. ie: ETTR and ITTR.

HAMSTTR is one actual "practice" that incorporates two phenomena into that one practice.
Based on the long thread, some of us felt that this was how we had been using the two phenomena all the time,. but since ETTR only described accurately one,. .....

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 03, 2009 10:48 |  #43

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #8576262 (external link)
I think that's the crux of it...
Maybe Daniel was more spot on too keep the two aspects in two terms,. ie: ETTR and ITTR.

HAMSTTR is one actual "practice" that incorporates two phenomena into that one practice.
Based on the long thread, some of us felt that this was how we had been using the two phenomena all the time,. but since ETTR only described accurately one,. .....

You know, I'd be curious to see a comparison of ISO performance between Canon and other makers in this regards, that is, whether a high ISO actually cuts down on read noise (rather than just nit-picking high ISO pictures in general).

Tony

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,509 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 03, 2009 10:48 |  #44

No..I'm shooting SQUIRREL :lol:

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

Daniel ­ Browning
Goldmember
1,199 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 03, 2009 12:00 |  #45

tonylong wrote in post #8576335 (external link)
You know, I'd be curious to see a comparison of ISO performance between Canon and other makers in this regards, that is, whether a high ISO actually cuts down on read noise (rather than just nit-picking high ISO pictures in general).

Here is a list of some cameras that shows how much SNR improves going from ISO 100 to 1600 (for a fixed exposure), based on measurements from Roger Clark, Gabor Sch., and Bart van der Wolf. 1X means it stays the same. 2X means that read noise drops to half at ISO 1600. The smaller the number, the less useful it is to increase ISO and the more often one should just push in post.

• 1.8X Canon 10D
  • 7.0X Canon 20D
  • 5.1X Canon 50D
  • 9.4X Canon 5D2
  • 1.4X Nikon D200
  • 3.6X Nikon D3
  • 1.0X Panasonic LX3
  • 1.0X Canon G10
  • 1.0X Canon G11
  • 1.0X Canon S70

Daniel

sponsored links

156,405 views & 4 likes for this thread
Are you Shooting HAMSTTR? - ETTR - Expose to the right
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.