Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 28 Aug 2009 (Friday) 08:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Brutal Friday Critique - are you ready? Well punk are you?

stathunter
"I am no one really"
5,634 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 28, 2009 08:53 |  #1

Hey gang,

I spent the morning critiquing photos for a consulting project I am working on -- and I am ready and willing to give you Scott's brutal critique of your work/photo in a quick summary get to the point fashion, at no cost to you - unless you want to buy me food :)

I will offer brief tidbits on how to improve your image - if I think you have any hope. :)

Go ahead and post. :)

Scott
"Do or do not, there is no try"

sponsored links
xarqi
Cream of the Crop
10,435 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 28, 2009 09:27 |  #2

Bring it on!
What do you make of my effort here?:
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=743602

stathunter
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I am no one really"
5,634 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 28, 2009 09:33 |  #3

xarqi wrote in post #8538072 (external link)
Bring it on!
What do you make of my effort here?:
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=743602

Ok - well at first glance it looks like a boat hit the purple teletubby --- or it could be one of those trick shape cards that they evaluate psychiatry patients. :) --- ok I understand what you were going for here - but it might be a better image if indeed it was a defined palm tree in the photo and maybe a tad toned down on the color.

Scott

stathunter
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I am no one really"
5,634 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 28, 2009 10:12 |  #4

Don't be shy - who is next?

Scott

johnj2803
869 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 28, 2009 10:14 |  #5

ok... how about mine HERE

:D

thanks

My flickr (external link)

luvsadog2
Goldmember
1,483 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 28, 2009 10:19 as a reply to  @ johnj2803's post |  #6

Here's one my favorites .. have a go at this one, thanks!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Luvsadog2
5DMiii|7D gripped| G11|Canon 17-55|28-135|100 f/2.8|17-85|50 1.8| Sigma 120-400|Tamron 24-70|18-270|10-24| 430EX
There is beauty to be found - my goal is to capture it.. and share it with you.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/luvsadog2/ (external link)

stathunter
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I am no one really"
5,634 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 28, 2009 10:23 |  #7

johnj2803 wrote in post #8538340 (external link)
ok... how about mine HERE

:D

thanks

oh.....trying to stump me with 3.....ok...I can handle it. :)

#1 - nice - a bit overdone but it works with this -- The edit of this one down the page works well also.
#2 - Well this one is a bit more complicated - it works but what bothers me is what appears to be how dirty the pool is.....I understand but it might work better if the book was more "pristine" and cleaned up the pool reflection at the bottom of the photo.
#3-I do a lot of these "filler" shots at weddings - I think a lower angle would capture this a bit better- also cropping off stuff on the left might make it less distracting.

Scott

stathunter
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I am no one really"
5,634 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 28, 2009 10:26 |  #8

luvsadog2 wrote in post #8538365 (external link)
Here's one my favorites .. have a go at this one, thanks!

This has a lot of interesting elements to it. I like the shapes/drama/and lighting from the stairs..... what intrigues me is if it could be improved from a little lower angle. It has a very nice artistic touch to it without being too much.
This is a nice example of simple elements offering interesting photos. This is a brave shot for someone to take and I commend you for your creativity. Keep it up.

Scott

johnj2803
869 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 28, 2009 10:27 |  #9

stathunter wrote in post #8538394 (external link)
oh.....trying to stump me with 3.....ok...I can handle it. :)

#1 - nice - a bit overdone but it works with this -- The edit of this one down the page works well also.
#2 - Well this one is a bit more complicated - it works but what bothers me is what appears to be how dirty the pool is.....I understand but it might work better if the book was more "pristine" and cleaned up the pool reflection at the bottom of the photo.
#3-I do a lot of these "filler" shots at weddings - I think a lower angle would capture this a bit better- also cropping off stuff on the left might make it less distracting.

thanks! :D totally agree on all points :D

My flickr (external link)

stathunter
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I am no one really"
5,634 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 28, 2009 10:28 |  #10

johnj2803 wrote in post #8538421 (external link)
thanks! :D totally agree on all points :D

No problem John....... as my uncle used to say "I am like an umpire...I just call them as I see them."

Scott

tracyvb
471 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 28, 2009 10:32 as a reply to  @ stathunter's post |  #11

Alright, I'll play. :) Have at it...

HOSTED PHOTO

stathunter
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I am no one really"
5,634 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 28, 2009 10:40 |  #12

tracyvb wrote in post #8538450 (external link)
Alright, I'll play. :) Have at it...

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by tracyvb in
./showthread.php?p=853​8450&i=i43830943
forum: Critique Corner

First of all the colors are excellent - the photo is sharp........sharp photos are always my goal....I like them razor sharp and this is.
Now for the bad.... eyes tend to tell a story... in this photo you can't see either of their eyes....... getting eyes of the little boy would have made this photo a real winner. So what is left out makes this photo a snapshot and not great.
Again a very cute photo but as a photo editor I would have to pass.

Scott

tracyvb
471 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 28, 2009 10:46 |  #13

stathunter wrote in post #8538496 (external link)
First of all the colors are excellent - the photo is sharp........sharp photos are always my goal....I like them razor sharp and this is.
Now for the bad.... eyes tend to tell a story... in this photo you can't see either of their eyes....... getting eyes of the little boy would have made this photo a real winner. So what is left out makes this photo a snapshot and not great.
Again a very cute photo but as a photo editor I would have to pass.

Thanks and agreed! I think Brutal Fridays should become a weekly tradition! :) BTW - This snapshot will still be debuting on the entertainment center in my living room for the rest of the football season ;)

stathunter
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I am no one really"
5,634 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 28, 2009 10:53 |  #14

tracyvb wrote in post #8538536 (external link)
Thanks and agreed! I think Brutal Fridays should become a weekly tradition! :) BTW - This snapshot will still be debuting on the entertainment center in my living room for the rest of the football season ;)

It really is a good snapshot .....and especially if there is someone in the photo that is a family member.
As a photographer who makes my living with the images I take - I look at things differently - much differently than others. I personally am always pushing myself with my work. And I believe that in order to survive and make a living in photography in this day and age of everyone having a camera - it is the little things that make a huge difference.
Have a great weekend.

Ok - let "Brutal Friday" as Tracy has now permanently labeled this continue.......next patient step into the exam room. *snap* (I have the exam gloves on now) :)

Scott

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,260 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Aug 28, 2009 11:34 |  #15

I was supposed to meet a group of photograpers for a photo walk with a world-famous German photographer -- Wolfgang somebody. I was a few minutes late and couldn't find anybody. All I got was this picture of a stick.

HOSTED PHOTO

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

sponsored links

121,859 views & 70 likes for this thread
Brutal Friday Critique - are you ready? Well punk are you?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.