Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Sep 2009 (Tuesday) 17:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sell 1DMIII for 7D?

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 02, 2009 10:14 |  #76

Sageg wrote in post #8568626 (external link)
But both the 5d2 and the 1dm3 have issues with focus, or so I've read. If the 7D has consistently good focus, it makes it mighty nice.

You've read wrong.

Some of us actually do own both bodies. I do. And I don't have any issues with either of them.

sponsored links
zincozinco
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 02, 2009 10:16 |  #77

nicksan wrote in post #8569177 (external link)
You've read wrong.

Some of us actually do own both bodies. I do. And I don't have any issues with either of them.

:)

its funny how some thing go WAY out of proportion on this forum.... I bet you Canon is sitting and biting their nails in frustration if they were to read all the stuff on here.

Living the life, overexposing...
Web (external link), Blog (external link) Name: Mike, Maik, Micke or just zinco.

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,316 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Sep 02, 2009 10:18 |  #78

nicksan wrote in post #8569171 (external link)
I understand your point. Going 1.6x crop is certainly a cheaper way to get longer FOV-wise. If you can be task specific when it comes to the bodies, then it will work out fine.

I know when I used to own a FF and 1.6x crop, I did so for the same intentions as you, and I never used the 1.6x crop because I just couldn't get myself to accept the inferior IQ. However, if the 7D does perform, then that would be a game changer in some ways.

That said, I find that with my 1DMKIII, I can shoot anything that comes my way. Sure, I can't do extreme UWA or have that extra "reach", but for all intents and purposes, at least for my style of shooting, it is a perfect fit.

you mean like shooting action at iso 800 or less? that would eliminate the use of the 7d at least 60% of the time for me.

look, if the 7d produces clean files at hi-ISOs i can almost guarantee you there will be some other trade-off in IQ.

if not, canon has turned the corner on 1.6 crop sensors and the sky is the limit for mp density.

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8 art, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 02, 2009 10:19 |  #79

zincozinco wrote in post #8569191 (external link)
:)

its funny how some thing go WAY out of proportion on this forum.... I bet you Canon is sitting and biting their nails in frustration if they were to read all the stuff on here.

Can't really blame the people. The 1DMKIII and 5DMKII did have their share of issues, more serious on the 1DMKIII.

However, these issues have been addressed. Perhaps it took longer than it should have, but water under the bridge as far as I am concerned.

But what people need to stop doing is to play armchair quarterback and adding to the pile of crap, especially if one never owned or used to any of the gear to any extent...

zincozinco
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 02, 2009 10:19 |  #80

nicksan wrote in post #8569171 (external link)
That said, I find that with my 1DMKIII, I can shoot anything that comes my way. Sure, I can't do extreme UWA or have that extra "reach", but for all intents and purposes, at least for my style of shooting, it is a perfect fit.

i felt the same way about the 1dmk2 up until a point where it was left with the 24 on at all times, and all the lens changes went on the ds. as I dont have that many lenses i prefer them to act as they were intended. save the case of a telephoto were i want reach. guessing we are off topic now....

Web (external link), Blog (external link) Name: Mike, Maik, Micke or just zinco.

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 02, 2009 10:23 |  #81

ed rader wrote in post #8569205 (external link)
you mean like shooting action at iso 800 or less? that would eliminate the use of the 7d at least 60% of the time for me.

look, if the 7d produces clean files at hi-ISOs i can almost guarantee you there will be some other trade-off in IQ.

if not, canon has turned the corner on 1.6 crop sensors and the sky is the limit for mp density.

ed rader

Where did you get the ISO800 or less figure? I am pretty sure the 7D will be fine at ISO1600-ISO3200. But time will tell. I really hope so. Some of the examples I've seen are either disappointing or promising. But we went through this with the 50D. Initial reports were impressive, then it was all downhill from there.

The AF system certainly looks exciting. Not for me, but for folks who never used a 1 series body, it definitely looks fantastic. Hopefully it will perform well.

There are still things here and there that makes the 1DMKIII a more attractive body for me. Of course this is disregarding the price difference!

However, I do hope the 7D turns out to be a winner...

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 02, 2009 10:29 |  #82

zincozinco wrote in post #8569215 (external link)
i felt the same way about the 1dmk2 up until a point where it was left with the 24 on at all times, and all the lens changes went on the ds. as I dont have that many lenses i prefer them to act as they were intended. save the case of a telephoto were i want reach. guessing we are off topic now....

Well, I've got both the 1DMKIII and 5DMKII and I actually like the fact that my lenses act differently on each body.

Palladium
Goldmember
3,905 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 02, 2009 10:33 as a reply to  @ nicksan's post |  #83

I pre ordered one just because of the price. Hell, I drop more that $17.00 out of pockets just looking for my thumb drive. ;)

romulus_be
56 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 02, 2009 10:37 as a reply to  @ nicksan's post |  #84

I've replaced my 1D markIII / 40d combination with a 5DmarkII / 50d combi.

5d resolution power is and iq of sensor is very good, body is less suited for fast action, wildlife photography.

I was very dissappointed with the iq of 50d raw files so i sold it after just 3000 clicks.

I will (re) buy a (mint second hand) 1D mark III very soon now (prices are dropping every minute and supply is increasing). The iq of the 1D mark III raw file is as far as i'm concerned simply the best in the whole canon range

the size of the body and the features (same battery as 5d) do look appealing but iq of 18 mp crop is a question mark (i found iq of 15 mp 50d simply poor)

Good luck with your decisions

We all go a little mad sometimes. Haven't you?
http://patrickfranqui.​zenfolio.com (external link)

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,316 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Sep 02, 2009 10:39 |  #85

nicksan wrote in post #8569245 (external link)
Where did you get the ISO800 or less figure? I am pretty sure the 7D will be fine at ISO1600-ISO3200. But time will tell. I really hope so. Some of the examples I've seen are either disappointing or promising. But we went through this with the 50D. Initial reports were impressive, then it was all downhill from there.

The AF system certainly looks exciting. Not for me, but for folks who never used a 1 series body, it definitely looks fantastic. Hopefully it will perform well.

There are still things here and there that makes the 1DMKIII a more attractive body for me. Of course this is disregarding the price difference!

However, I do hope the 7D turns out to be a winner...

i've never liked any 1.6 crop after iso 800, and i don't think the 7d will be any different especially since they've added more mp.

my point was either the technology has improved (doubtful) or they have lessened noise through software (likely).

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8 art, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

zincozinco
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 02, 2009 10:45 |  #86

ed rader wrote in post #8569395 (external link)
i've never liked any 1.6 crop after iso 800, and i don't think the 7d will be any different especially since they've added more mp.

my point was either the technology has improved (doubtful) or they have lessened noise through software (likely).

ed rader

looking at the 50D we can only hope , i dont think that it will be better on the IQ or ISO dept. I shoot Golf if I shoot sport and we have about 30 days of rain a year so if i go over 400 ... that ll be the day... :)

Mr. ­ Clean
Cream of the Crop
6,002 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Sep 02, 2009 10:47 |  #87

ed rader wrote in post #8569205 (external link)

ed rader

If they've done that, why should you and I keep our Mark III's? :D

The Mark III has the best IQ of any Canon I've used but you can't help wonder what this "new tech" might bring out.

I'm really excited though with the release as this will push Canon even harder to make the new 1D camera kick serious a$$.

Mike
some shots @ Zenfolio (external link)
Gear List

Seanzky
Goldmember
2,879 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 02, 2009 10:50 |  #88

Hell no! As nice as the 7D is with all the new bells and whistles, all Canon pro bodies will hold their value better in the long run. It's just a proven fact. The second hand market, no matter how flooded it is, always shows that the resale value of pro bodies stay up. With that said, if you do plan on selling it in the future, it can fund the next 5D or 1D to come out instead of the current 7D.

Sean | Blog (external link) | Portfolio (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link)

Seanzky
Goldmember
2,879 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 02, 2009 10:53 |  #89

Also, I wish to add for those who are wondering: "So who would buy a 7D then?" 7D are mainly for current 40D (or lower) owners. Why? Because it's the next step up in the semi-pro lineup and the big jump from entry-level. Just like XSi owners shouldn't jump on T1i but XT or XTi owners who aren't too serious about photography and has no ambition in becoming professional want a better body in the entry-level lineup.

Sean | Blog (external link) | Portfolio (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link)

Sauk
Goldmember
4,149 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 02, 2009 10:54 |  #90

Iwould buy it because it looks better then my 50D that I have as a 2nd body shooting professionally.

Looks like it has better ISO management and also because I downsize my images anyways which means even better ISO management

Nikon D700 D3s | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM

sponsored links

22,126 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sell 1DMIII for 7D?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.