Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Sep 2009 (Tuesday) 22:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D shutter lag time

XterraJohn
513 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 15, 2009 23:46 |  #166

jwcdds wrote in post #8652669 (external link)
A "creation" by me? You give me too much credit.

I've steered clear of posting in this thread because I've already made my opinion of why you even started this thread. I've simply elected to not further fuel this nonsense. I would hope that someone who has actually read through everything (up to when I stopped posting) can see that I didn't "create" the 2ms.

I think that we are all starting to see the truth behind what is going on here. I guess that we can only hope that the thread will be locked soon.

sponsored links
DigitalDabbler
348 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 16, 2009 05:26 |  #167

http://picasaweb.googl​e.com/hairbysubaru/Det​our2005 (external link) taken with a fuji finepix with .25S shutter-lag. Yes, you can anticipate.

Edit: As for pre-focus, isn't that the point?

C:\>

Respect the moderators. They are the over-worked force that keep this place civil.
Sturf (external link) | Picasa (various lightboxen) (external link) C&C welcome.
Got a spare lobster? get Kiva (external link).

twoshadows
THREAD ­ STARTER
Liquid Nitrogen
7,034 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 16, 2009 07:42 |  #168

XterraJohn wrote in post #8652807 (external link)
I think that we are all starting to see the truth behind what is going on here. I guess that we can only hope that the thread will be locked soon.

And what truth is that?

xgender.net (external link) Miss Julia Grey (she/her/Miss)
OST, API, PPP & MLI explained (external link)

twoshadows
THREAD ­ STARTER
Liquid Nitrogen
7,034 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 16, 2009 08:29 |  #169

jwcdds wrote in post #8652669 (external link)
A "creation" by me? You give me too much credit.

I've steered clear of posting in this thread because I've already made my opinion of why you even started this thread. I've simply elected to not further fuel this nonsense. I would hope that someone who has actually read through everything (up to when I stopped posting) can see that I didn't "create" the 2ms.

Please reread my post. I wrote, "the idea of 2mS being noticed ". (I should have written "noticable'). The idea that one can tell the difference between two cameras that are 2ms apart is all yours. I never wrote about that, except to tell people that that wasn't what I wrote. Sorry, but it's true.

One thing you are right about is that this thread has become nonsense - due mostly to people who have limited experience with Canon camera bodies and who can't comprehend the effect of shutter lag, people who seem to be able to ignore the sage words of those who do have the experience. I find it amazing that a simple comment about the 7D could bring out the worst in so many. It seems I have somehow offend the truly righteous Canon fans. So be it. I'm done with this thread.

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,925 posts
Gallery: 1738 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Sep 16, 2009 09:59 |  #170

This has nothing to do with "righteous Canon fans." Never was an issue and never will be. This issue simply came down to one statement, deliberately noting only 1 set of data (the pre-focused shutter lag), to cite a particular camera manufacturer has taken a step backwards. It could've been Nikon, Sony, Olympus, Pentax, Leica (you get the point).

And when a set of data was looked up, 0.062s vs. 0.063s vs. 0.064s (as posted from Imaging-Resource.com), it was determined that indeed, the 7D pre-focus shutter-lag was slower. But by 0.002s (compared to the other APS-C cameras in ITS line-up). I didn't create the numbers. I simply looked up what the fuss was about. Looking for rhyme/reason why someone, who used to quote himself in his signature (as I see no longer), would claim any manufacturer taking a step backwards with their latest camera model.

From where I sit, sifting through your posts in this thread, it is clear to *me* (and probably me only) that you enjoy being controversial. This is nothing but a mere game that you like to play. You could've simply acknowledge the fact looking at the overall 7D package, this particular camera has taken huge steps (relatively speaking) in the right direction --- improvements. And although I'm sure other things will surface (likely more noise-reduction blurring, red channel issues, etc...), overall, the 7D is an improvement over existing APS-C line-up for Canon.

Yet, for your own entertainment and playing your own game, you wanted to focus on "0.064s" as "a bit of a step backwards for action shooters".

I didn't create the numbers. I merely made it known for other readers in this thread. IMO, you got exactly what you were looking for by posting this thread (not meant as a bad comment). You got your excitement, your own personal mental/psychological thrill. Kudos.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

XterraJohn
513 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 16, 2009 12:13 |  #171

jwcdds wrote in post #8654896 (external link)
From where I sit, sifting through your posts in this thread, it is clear to *me* (and probably me only) that you enjoy being controversial. This is nothing but a mere game that you like to play.

[Snip]

Yet, for your own entertainment and playing your own game, you wanted to focus on "0.064s" as "a bit of a step backwards for action shooters".

[Snip]

IMO, you got exactly what you were looking for by posting this thread (not meant as a bad comment). You got your excitement, your own personal mental/psychological thrill. Kudos.

At this point, I think that what you said is pretty clear to everyone following this thread.

When I find such a disagreeable forum member, what I like to do is go back and look through the last page or so of topics that they've started. Sometimes, I think that you will find that a particular user is generally someone good to talk to who may just be having a bad day. Other times, however, I'm afraid that you find that a particular user seldom, if ever, posts anything worthwhile, and seemingly lives to post for their own amusement and gratification.

I believe that it is these people for whom the ignore list was created. ;)

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,925 posts
Gallery: 1738 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Sep 16, 2009 13:00 |  #172

Haha, it's quite possible then that I've made a few ignore lists myself.

That said, there comes a time that I draw the line and simply accept the fact that we're all different individuals and have different opinions. It's the beauty of being human. Even though I feel that a difference of 0.002s is negligible for camera shutter-lag, I have to accept the possibility that someone might view that as completely unacceptable. And in such an instance, my opinion differs from theirs but it doesn't make me wrong and them right.

It's the reason why I stayed away from further postings in this thread until Ian had brought up my name 2x recently. I don't think ill of him, and from the responses I've read from him, I believe him to be highly intelligent. We just differ in opinion and that's fine by me. :)

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

Pete
I was "Prime Mover" many years back....
38,631 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 16, 2009 13:13 |  #173

XterraJohn wrote in post #8655725 (external link)
At this point, I think that what you said is pretty clear to everyone following this thread.

When I find such a disagreeable forum member, what I like to do is go back and look through the last page or so of topics that they've started. Sometimes, I think that you will find that a particular user is generally someone good to talk to who may just be having a bad day. Other times, however, I'm afraid that you find that a particular user seldom, if ever, posts anything worthwhile, and seemingly lives to post for their own amusement and gratification.

I believe that it is these people for whom the ignore list was created. ;)

To paraphrase a good friend of mine:-

Belmondo wrote in post #8648286 (external link)
By design, POTN is one of the friendliest photography forums on the internet. This is no accident; we work very hard at.

Unfortunately, there appears to be an inherent lack of civility in some people that precludes them from discussing things without doing their best to introduce friction into the conversation. After all these years, I've never figured out what makes them do that, but whatever their reasons, it is distracting, unnecessary, and downright rude.

Sarcasm and verbal gotchas serve no purpose but to make people look pathetic. .

Some of you need to get a life.

The subject of this thread is extremely tight, and to many people, it's largely irrelevant.

If you have something constructive to add to the discussion, then do so. If you have nothing to add except for personal attacks or derision, then it's probably best if you simply say nothing and leave the thread alone.

XterraJohn, this wasn't aimed at you alone. If people persist in these negative comments, then they may find their posting ability severely hampered.

Pete
UK SE Catch of the Day

XterraJohn
513 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 16, 2009 16:01 |  #174

Pete wrote in post #8656083 (external link)
To paraphrase a good friend of mine:-

The subject of this thread is extremely tight, and to many people, it's largely irrelevant.

If you have something constructive to add to the discussion, then do so. If you have nothing to add except for personal attacks or derision, then it's probably best if you simply say nothing and leave the thread alone.

XterraJohn, this wasn't aimed at you alone. If people persist in these negative comments, then they may find their posting ability severely hampered.

My apologies. I don't think that I intended to come across as posting negative comments with no constructive value.

cookedart
60 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 20, 2009 01:32 |  #175

twoshadows wrote in post #8566487 (external link)
.064s

That puts it about even with the 30D in terms of shutter responsiveness and slower than the 40/50D. So, a bit of a step backwards for action shooters in this respect.

Note: D300 shutter lag time = .045s, which puts it in the same league as the 1DmkII/1DmkIIn...

The Digital Picture's table currently states a different spec:

59ms for the 7d - this is the same spec as the 40 and 50d, and much faster than the 5D Mark II at 73ms.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com …al-SLR-Camera-Review.aspx (external link)

You will have to scroll down almost halfway down the page to find this comparison table.

The only canon cameras that beat it are the 1D series, which are, according to this table, 40-55 - meaning that potentially, the 1D series as well might not be a huge magnitude faster than the 7D in this regard, and certainly, that the 7D has the fastest shutter lag time out of an EOS camera other than the 1D Series cameras.

These, of course, are raw specs. I know you were citing the Imaging Resource as the source of this info, but they also stated that the 50D's was a (practically) equal .63 ms vs the 7D's .65ms. It's worth noting that the D300 test also states the shutter lag as being slower than your claim @ 57ms, and the 1D Mark III is coming in at 54ms.

I don't think this camera will perform out of spec compared to other Canon's. Maybe not up to Nikons as you state, but certainly very good.

Canon Rebel XT | Canon 7D | Canon 17-55 IS USM | 24 1.4 L | 28 1.8 | 85 1.8 | 200 2.8 L | Tokina 11-16 | Tamron 70-200 2.8

rondo221
93 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 20, 2009 03:18 |  #176

I put a pre-order in yesterday.. Whoo
Even after reading this entire thread..
Im still looking forward to getting my new camera 8)

twoshadows
THREAD ­ STARTER
Liquid Nitrogen
7,034 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 29, 2011 19:45 |  #177

Well, after owning a 7d (for over a year) and putting up with the shutter lag, I finally sold it and bought a 1DmkIII. Much better. :)

macroimage
Goldmember
2,169 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 29, 2011 20:13 |  #178

twoshadows wrote in post #13617720 (external link)
Well, after owning a 7d (for over a year) and putting up with the shutter lag, I finally sold it and bought a 1DmkIII. Much better. :)

Think of all the spare time you will have now with all of those microseconds saved each day! :)

Photo Gear

twoshadows
THREAD ­ STARTER
Liquid Nitrogen
7,034 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 29, 2011 20:15 |  #179

macroimage wrote in post #13617834 (external link)
Think of all the spare time you will have now with all of those microseconds saved each day! :)

:lol:

sponsored links

32,886 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D shutter lag time
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.