Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Sep 2009 (Tuesday) 22:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D shutter lag time

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 02, 2009 11:03 |  #31

You normally always add debounce logic in either hardware or software, so it is quite universal to have delays in the region of 50ms from pressing a button until a device starts acting on it. Not having any filtering at all could result in your camera taking pictures just because you walk close to equipment with strong magnetic fields. Always getting photos taken if you stand near a microwave oven that gets started would result in very angry threads on this forum.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

sponsored links
Seanzky
Goldmember
2,879 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 02, 2009 11:08 |  #32

Aren't the current 7D bodies being reviewed still the "beta" bodies not the production ones?

Sean | Blog (external link) | Portfolio (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link)

CAL ­ Imagery
Goldmember
3,375 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 02, 2009 11:20 |  #33

theflyingkiwi wrote in post #8567504 (external link)
wow talk about picky.

I am sorry if anyone ever thinks that the shutter lag being slower than an older camera is a sign of canon going backwards.

If you are ever serious about this stuff, you would look at ALL the specs and not pick up on one.

It's silly to have a camera with 8 FPS targeted towards sports and wildlife shooters and have a slower SL than previous generations of lesser cameras.

Christian

twoshadows
THREAD ­ STARTER
Liquid Nitrogen
7,034 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 02, 2009 11:23 |  #34

nphsbuckeye wrote in post #8569665 (external link)
It's silly to have a camera with 8 FPS targeted towards sports and wildlife shooters and have a slower SL than previous generations of lesser cameras.

bw! Couldn't have said it better...

xgender.net (external link) Miss Julia Grey (she/her/Miss)
OST, API, PPP & MLI explained (external link)

yonni
Goldmember
1,402 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Sep 02, 2009 11:25 |  #35

ed rader wrote in post #8566681 (external link)
the 5d is like a bare bones IQ monster :D.

ed rader

Well I've seen your sports pics taken with the 5d. I didn't see any flubs due to shutter lag time.

John
5Dc. 40D 400 5.6, 300 f4 is, 200, 135, 35, 17-40, 24-105, 70-200 f4is Ls

twoshadows
THREAD ­ STARTER
Liquid Nitrogen
7,034 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 02, 2009 11:27 |  #36

yonni wrote in post #8569697 (external link)
Well I've seen your sports pics taken with the 5d. I didn't see any flubs due to shutter lag time.

Do you honestly think he would post a shot he missed due to shutter lag? :lol:

Fwiw, i shoot sports with my 5D at times as well. No one (at least not me) is saying it's impossible to shoot sports with a slower camera, but it IS less convenient and there will be shots you'd miss for not having a faster camera.

GyRob
Cream of the Crop
10,179 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 02, 2009 11:49 |  #37

shutter lag is very easly spotted be birders it can seem to take ages for the shot to be taken.
Rob.

"The LensMaster Gimbal"
http://www.lensmaster.​co.uk/rh1.htm (external link)

MS-18E
128 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 02, 2009 13:20 as a reply to  @ GyRob's post |  #38

Please forgive my ignorance here, but even at .064sm thats 3.36 times faster than the average human reaction time. Won't you have to have a reaction time at least 3 times quicker than the average human to have this become a perceivable factor in your camera?

And is the lag here the time delay after the switch is activated and the initial movement of the shuttle mechanism? If so, once the switch is activated and held in the on position, this lag factor should have nothing to do with the frames per second the camera is capable of right? That factor is limited by how fast the shuttle can physically come from a complete closed position to a complete open position.

bacchanal
Cream of the Crop
5,284 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 02, 2009 13:33 |  #39

MS-18E wrote in post #8570418 (external link)
Please forgive my ignorance here, but even at .064sm thats 3.36 times faster than the average human reaction time. Won't you have to have a reaction time at least 3 times quicker than the average human to have this become a perceivable factor in your camera?

And is the lag here the time delay after the switch is activated and the initial movement of the shuttle mechanism? If so, once the switch is activated and held in the on position, this lag factor should have nothing to do with the frames per second the camera is capable of right? That factor is limited by how fast the shuttle can physically come from a complete closed position to a complete open position.

The lag time probably has a lot to do with the mirror getting out of the way in time for the shutter to open. The reaction time argument sort of applies, but remember, the lag time is added onto your reaction time...also, reaction time and perceptible lag are two different things.

Drew A. | gear | photosexternal link

MS-18E
128 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 02, 2009 13:52 |  #40

bacchanal wrote in post #8570501 (external link)
The lag time probably has a lot to do with the mirror getting out of the way in time for the shutter to open. The reaction time argument sort of applies, but remember, the lag time is added onto your reaction time...also, reaction time and perceptible lag are two different things.

Yes. Will it not therefore be more efficient to assign more resources to improve one's reaction time rather then decrease the lag time of the equipment to get the most results?

I would imagine that .064s lag compared to the the fastest lag in the market today is not that much of a difference. It might be easier and obtain this difference by training one's own reaction time than to spend the money on a camera with that kind of lag time.

I guess the biggest problem is for an individual to be highly sensitive to perceived lag but at the same time has a slow reaction time. For such an individual, what good would an improvement of .015s in equipment lag time be? Are humans even capable of perceiving a .015s time deviation?

twoshadows
THREAD ­ STARTER
Liquid Nitrogen
7,034 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 02, 2009 13:56 |  #41

MS-18E wrote in post #8570614 (external link)
Yes. Will it not therefore be more efficient to assign more resources to improve one's reaction time rather then decrease the lag time of the equipment to get the most results?

I would imagine that .064s lag compared to the the fastest lag in the market today is not that much of a difference. It might be easier and obtain this difference by training one's own reaction time than to spend the money on a camera with that kind of lag time.

I guess the biggest problem is for an individual to be highly sensitive to perceived lag but at the same time has a slow reaction time. For such an individual, what good would an improvement of .015s in equipment lag time be? Are humans even capable of perceiving a .015s time deviation?

Yes. .015s is percievable. I refer you to this thread for more on the subject:

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=737722

Skippy29
Goldmember
1,100 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 02, 2009 14:03 |  #42

This whole thread is ridiculous :rolleyes:

"I'm like a Slinky - not much good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see me tumble down the stairs" -iKirst

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,925 posts
Gallery: 1738 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Sep 02, 2009 14:09 |  #43

twoshadows wrote in post #8566487 (external link)
.064s

That puts it about even with the 30D in terms of shutter responsiveness and slower than the 40/50D. So, a bit of a step backwards for action shooters in this respect.

Note: D300 shutter lag time = .045s, which puts it in the same league as the 1DmkII/1DmkIIn...

Edit: I have changed the line above to reflect the Nikon D300, as I originally intended. Sorry for the confusion :) .

So let me understand this fully.

You're unhappy that the 7D has a shutter lag of 0.064s. Which is even with the 30D, but slower than the 40/50D. According to Imaging-Resource, 40D clocks in at 0.062s. 50D clocks in at 0.063s.

So just so I understand this clearly. Your gripe is that it is 0.002s slower than the 40D, and 0.001s slower than the 50D, so therefore, it makes it significantly inferior based on these measured times?

*scratches head*

Sure, if 0.001% of the world's population can perceive 0.015s. But how many can perceive 0.002s?

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

MS-18E
128 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 02, 2009 14:25 as a reply to  @ jwcdds's post |  #44

Ok, I know the human mind is very good at defecting changes to their environment. So perceiving a speed difference of .0x sec is achievable. However, I do not think the brain is capable of measuring the magnitude of such small figures.

I guess more importantly, what I am trying to say is, there seems to be a greater return in training to improve one's reaction time than the lag time of one's equipment.

epatt250
769 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 02, 2009 14:26 |  #45

jwcdds wrote in post #8570733 (external link)
So let me understand this fully.

You're unhappy that the 7D has a shutter lag of 0.064s. Which is even with the 30D, but slower than the 40/50D. According to Imaging-Resource, 40D clocks in at 0.062s. 50D clocks in at 0.063s.

So just so I understand this clearly. Your gripe is that it is 0.002s slower than the 40D, and 0.001s slower than the 50D, so therefore, it makes it significantly inferior based on these measured times?

*scratches head*

Sure, if 0.001% of the world's population can perceive 0.015s. But how many can perceive 0.002s?

I would say you "almost" understand this fully. However you have not noted that in real world shooting conditions most people use focus. Shooting sports often means shallow DOF and being prefocused on a location that the subject is not at sounds like a risky tactic. Maybe then it might make more of a difference and would effect .001% of the shots of another .001% of the individuals who it would actually matter at all for.

I think most are in agreement that while using autofocus that this thing is lighting. So the actual lag with AF would probably yield faster real world results than the current options..

The thing is though, this is an internet forum with 2634 users reading at this very moment that I actually type. So you know there is going to be at least one in the crowd.

Gear- Why do you care? If my image is good it's good, if it sucks it sucks. It's most likely my own fault.
www.elipattersonphoto.​com (external link)

sponsored links

32,884 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D shutter lag time
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.