Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 03 Sep 2009 (Thursday) 01:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

30 second robbery smash-and-grab Apple Store

darosk
Goldmember
2,806 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 03, 2009 01:28 |  #1

Watch the video here (external link).

Was quite impressed with their speed in clearing the place out. I don't frequent Apple stores, but I find it interesting that the store didn't have those cable locks attached to the MB pros (probably a security boob-up that the robbers saw, to their gain).

How easy would it be for the robbers to unload their loot? Do Apple and other companies have tracking systems built into their laptops?

Tumblr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Youtube (external link)
Gear

sponsored links
ZGMF-X20A
I didn't say anything
1,252 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 03, 2009 02:16 |  #2

If it has MobileMe hooked up, maybe they can trace it... like this: http://www.switched.co​m …computer-thiefs-identity/ (external link)

Jonathan Sutantio (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Kiat Photo (external link)
Facebook: Jonathan Sutantio (external link) - Kiat Photo (external link)
Hosting: 1&1 (external link) | Join Dropbox (external link)

Lazuka
Cream of the Crop
5,639 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 03, 2009 19:36 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

Looks like an inside job, they knew there was video security, exactly how to split up, i even bet the guard was involved somehow.

I suck at Photoshop.

darosk
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,806 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 03, 2009 19:55 |  #4

Lazuka wrote in post #8579309 (external link)
Looks like an inside job, they knew there was video security, exactly how to split up, i even bet the guard was involved somehow.

Was considering that. Either that, or they scouted the place out well and good before hitting it. There's always lads mulling about Apple stores.

Gear

Lazuka
Cream of the Crop
5,639 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 03, 2009 19:58 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

darosk wrote in post #8579402 (external link)
Was considering that. Either that, or they scouted the place out well and good before hitting it. There's always lads mulling about Apple stores.

Agreed, just looked too perfect though.

I suck at Photoshop.

fmulder21
128 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 03, 2009 20:02 as a reply to  @ Lazuka's post |  #6

Then they returned to buy $200 power adapters they didn't get... :) Most companies use some sort of software. we use Computrace, we are audited every month and they report to us what/how many we have it loaded on.

SoaringUSAEagle
Daddy Of The Crop
10,812 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 03, 2009 23:51 |  #7

I've worked at an apple store and the computers we had were locked up. They just unhooked everything so smoothly - makes me skeptical for sure. I'm curious to see what happens from here.

5D3 | 35L | 50 1.4 | 85L II | 135L | 24-70L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II

darosk
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,806 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 04, 2009 00:01 |  #8

SoaringUSAEagle wrote in post #8580682 (external link)
I've worked at an apple store and the computers we had were locked up. They just unhooked everything so smoothly - makes me skeptical for sure. I'm curious to see what happens from here.

Yeah, I could've sworn the Apple stores I've been to (a grand total of maybe 2 in my life :p) had their gear well and truly locked down. It does smell of an inside job.

Gear

SoaringUSAEagle
Daddy Of The Crop
10,812 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 04, 2009 00:08 |  #9

Yeah something is fishy - I wonder if one of the guys was an employee who closed for the night because you can get the locks off without sounding the alarm obviously... so he/she could have done that. There's probably a lot of speculation out there right now but this was done too smoothly for it to just have happened randomly, or even with scouting the place out - with the locks on it would not have went that quick.

The guard conveniently appears and disappears... hmmm. Only time will tell.

5D3 | 35L | 50 1.4 | 85L II | 135L | 24-70L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II

sponsored links

1,386 views & 0 likes for this thread
30 second robbery smash-and-grab Apple Store
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.