Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 05 Sep 2009 (Saturday) 15:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

RAW image viewer for 30D and XP Explorer

Kent ­ Clark
359 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 05, 2009 15:28 |  #1

I have a 30D, I want to see CR2 RAW thumbnail images in WinXP Pro Explorer. I have CS4 and Bridge and I know that I can use Bridge to see these thumbnails but there are many times when I'm using XP Windows Explorer and want to see thumbnails. I've done several searches for this and haven't found a definitive answer.

Some people suggest Microsoft RAW Viewer, I downloaded it but it does not support the 30D.

Some posts say that Windows Live Picture Gallery will do what I want. I downloaded it, the CR2 files in Explorer still do not show up with an image.

Some people suggested Faststone Viewer. I downloaded it and it seems like a nice little app but I don't want a separate app to view these thumbnails, if I wanted that I'd just use Bridge.

There are times when I really want to see image thumbnails in XP Explorer, so far I haven't found a way to do that. Any other suggestions would be great.

sponsored links
PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 05, 2009 15:36 |  #2

The Arcsoft RAW Viewer definitely works in Windows XP 32-bit: http://www.arcsoft.com​/products/rawviewer/ (external link)

Gear List

Kent ­ Clark
THREAD ­ STARTER
359 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 05, 2009 15:42 |  #3

That is exactly what I wanted. Thanks for the help.

tdodd
Goldmember
3,733 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Sep 05, 2009 15:45 |  #4

Personally I'm quite happy using Canon's own raw CODEC - http://software.canon-europe.com/software/00​33279.asp (external link).

Kent ­ Clark
THREAD ­ STARTER
359 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 05, 2009 16:43 as a reply to  @ tdodd's post |  #5

tdodd, the canon link says:

"Canon RAW Codec is a software plug-in that enables the import and display of Canon RAW image files when installed in Windows Vista (including SP1)/Windows XP SP2 and XP SP3.
Windows Imaging Component (WIC) supported applications (Microsoft Windows Live Photo Gallery etc.) are required."

Does that mean that with the codec you can see raw thumbnails in Windows Live Photo Gallery, which I don't need, or does it mean that if you have the codec and Windows Live Photo gallery you can see thumbnails in Windows Explorer, which is what I want?

TTk
Goldmember
2,518 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 05, 2009 16:48 as a reply to  @ Kent Clark's post |  #6

You need the Canon Raw Codec anyway which ever windows your using.:cool:

Terry.:cool:
http://www.terrykirton.co/ (external link)
http://www.ttkphotogra​phy.com/ (external link)
http://www.langtoftpho​tography.com/ (external link)

(external link)

ChrisMc
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 05, 2009 16:50 |  #7

Hi Kent, fast stone image viewer 3.9 is great, free download and you can set the program you would like to open the RAW file with after browsing the CR2 files.

It is all I use now and it opens all CR2 files and makes them very easy to view, enlarge etc.

When you right click the image, select edit with external program (add program first) and the image will open in that program. Hope that helps.

Sorry I can't help with windows but I think you will find fast stone great. http://www.faststone.o​rg/ (external link)

40D, 17-40mm f/4 L

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 05, 2009 16:53 |  #8

Over the years I've used every conceivable solution available...many of them fell by the way as they were not actively supported and updated as new cameras were released.

I finally settled on using Directory Opus 9 as a Windows Explorer replacement. It comes with a RAW plugin based on DCRAW so its fast and accurate. You can even do RAW conversions directly from the file browser without opening any other applications. Of course, the downside is that its fairly expensive but to me its worth it since it replaces all the functions of Windows Explorer.

http://www.gpsoft.com.​au (external link)

I'm currently using the 64-bit version of Directory Opus 9 under Windows 7 Retail and I could never go back to Windows Explorer.

Gear List

tdodd
Goldmember
3,733 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Sep 05, 2009 16:53 |  #9

Kent, it's been a long time since I've used XP but I'm pretty sure that Canon's CODEC will let you see thumbnails in Windows Explorer and view them fully in the Photo and Fax Viewer or wahtever it was called all those years ago. Of course, Zoombowser will natively let you view thumbnails, full images, drag/drop etc. so for image handling it makes a good alternative to Explorer altogether.

Kent ­ Clark
THREAD ­ STARTER
359 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 05, 2009 16:58 |  #10

thanks all for the interesting conversation. Opus 9 looks like a nice explorer substitute and Faststone Viewer looks like a nice app but PM's Arcsoft link was simple, free and did exactly what I needed.

sponsored links

1,928 views & 0 likes for this thread
RAW image viewer for 30D and XP Explorer
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.