Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 07 Sep 2009 (Monday) 15:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Memory Question

CountryBoy
"Tired of Goldmember label"
5,168 posts
Joined May 2006

Sep 07, 2009 15:07 |  #1

I'm ready to buy a computer, but I'm stuck on the memory. One's a 6GB Tri-Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz - 6 DIMMs , the upgrade is a
8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz - 4 DIMMs . It would be used on a 64 bit system, with this processor Intel® Core™ i7-920 processor(8MB L3 Cache, 2.66GHz .

Would the Tri-channel be better than a Dual-Channel ? I know one is 6GB and the other is 8GB , but the Tri and Dual aspect is beyond me.
I did do a googe search, but I'm still lost !

Hi

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Sep 07, 2009 15:17 |  #2

Tri channel over dual channel unless you know you need the extra 2gb of ram. usually much cheaper too (since 6gb tri-channel needs either 6x1gb (very cheap) or 3x2gb (also cheap) rather than 4x2gb (not as cheap). If you are buying a premade computer from a major company (HP, dell, etc), it may be cheaper to get the lowest memory (usually 3gb) and then adding more yourself.

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

CountryBoy
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Tired of Goldmember label"
5,168 posts
Joined May 2006

Sep 07, 2009 15:24 |  #3

Thanks Basroil, for explaning it for me. It's a computer from Dell. The Dual 8GB is $80 higher.

Hi

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Sep 07, 2009 15:37 |  #4

CountryBoy wrote in post #8600179 (external link)
Thanks Basroil, for explaning it for me. It's a computer from Dell. The Dual 8GB is $80 higher.

You can get 6gb kits for $125 (external link), so likely not worth it. Hell, you can get 3gb kits for $70

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

879 views & 0 likes for this thread
Memory Question
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.