Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 07 Sep 2009 (Monday) 21:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First Football Shots

Adama
215 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 07, 2009 21:34 |  #1

Hey guys, I just shot my first football game at my university. I like to think I did okay but I would still very much appreciate C+C on the shots, as well as any additional guidelines for shooting football. I tried keeping the advice of a sports shooter that posts here in mind regarding keeping both eyes open and watching your peripheral vision, but wow what a fast sport! No captions unfortunately since I don't have a roster available to me to put a name to the numbers, and since my employer didn't request IPTC captions I didn't do any audio annotations for the shots (In other words I only have a vague recollection of what was happening at the time and I didn't capture any notable events :lol:)

I shot these with a Mark III and 70-200 with the exception of 3, which was done with my 24-70. My first impressions is that it's very tough to work around the limits of a 200mm focal length, and it's difficult to get those head on shots of the players. It also means you're always getting ready to get out of the way, since when you're close enough with the 70-200 you're also usually close enough to be a heartbeat away from having to visit your insurance agent. My employer is looking to get me access to a 400 2.8 for my next game, which I imagine will give me a lot more flexibility with positioning.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Might post more later, these are the shots I got from my usual "top shots" skim I do after a game.

1D Mark III - 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS - 24-70mm f/2.8 L - 50mm f/1.4 - 580EX II
flickr (external link)
http://www.alexpylyshy​n.com (external link)

sponsored links
aram535
Goldmember
1,915 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 07, 2009 21:45 |  #2

These are great. My only suggestion is that you have to fix your horizons, they're almost all off.

#1 is too ehhh.. #4 has got too much of a busy in focus background. Makes it look like a scrimmage rather than a game. I doubt you can do anything other than pick a better position. Try the end zone, about 5 yards off of the corner marker and try to focus upfield.

#3 is the best in non-action, #2 in action shots but I wish you had 3-4 frames after that one.

Gear List * www.tranquilphotos.com (external link) * My Blog (external link)

Adama
THREAD ­ STARTER
215 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 07, 2009 21:52 |  #3

aram535 wrote in post #8602347 (external link)
These are great. My only suggestion is that you have to fix your horizons, they're almost all off.

#1 is too ehhh.. #4 has got too much of a busy in focus background. Makes it look like a scrimmage rather than a game. I doubt you can do anything other than pick a better position. Try the end zone, about 5 yards off of the corner marker and try to focus upfield.

#3 is the best in non-action, #2 in action shots but I wish you had 3-4 frames after that one.

Thanks for the comments. As for horizons, wow...I don't know HOW I missed that. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I added a #5 as well since I forgot to put it up.

1D Mark III - 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS - 24-70mm f/2.8 L - 50mm f/1.4 - 580EX II
flickr (external link)
http://www.alexpylyshy​n.com (external link)

aram535
Goldmember
1,915 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 08, 2009 08:11 |  #4

#5 is a frame or three early too, not there is anything wrong with the photo. I usually have the same problem at the beginning of the season, I over anticipate the action. The further into the season I go the easier it gets.

As far as the 200, 300 and 400mm lenses. I have found that the 300mm f/2.8 is just about perfect for most college games. The 400mm is really needed in Division I or pro games because you have to stand 10' back from the edge -- which means you need the extra 100mm to get back to where you were with the 300mm.

Gear List * www.tranquilphotos.com (external link) * My Blog (external link)

Smad728
376 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 08, 2009 12:28 |  #5

These are great for a 70-200. I have always wanted to shoot football without using a 300/400. Now I think I will. ha

Sean.Devine.Photograph​y (external link)

carshop
Goldmember
1,846 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 08, 2009 14:30 |  #6

great shots

ShawnSmugmug (external link)/Flickr (external link)/LikeMyFacebook (external link)
Canon 70D Gripped|
Canon 70-200 2.8 IS|Canon 24-105|Canon 18-135
Canon 580 EX II|Sigma 18-50 2.8
Canon 55-250|Sigma 17-35 2.8| 2 Pocket Wizard II

snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,084 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 08, 2009 14:52 |  #7

Pretty good shots. Unless you've been asked to shoot from the vantage point in most of the shots, try moving to get some better backgrounds in them. I know it's hard and the action moves quickly, but I try to shoot the middle of the field from the visitor side to get the team colors from the stands in the BG. Also, (and only if you are allowed) shoot from the end zones, back upfield. This way, you get lots of players and uniforms in your shots.

I've only shot two games, but thought things through before showing up. Also, had an idea of what I want to capture prior to showing up at the game. Last week, I took about 150 snaps during warmups to get the players in a more relaxed setting and get lots of faces inside the helmets with real light still available.

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

sponsored links

1,849 views & 0 likes for this thread
First Football Shots
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.