Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 07 Sep 2009 (Monday) 23:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

advice on saving for "dream kit"

shooter ­ mcgavin
526 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 07, 2009 23:42 |  #1

After buying and selling quite a few lenses, I think that I've finally reached the point where I know what I want, and I'd like to slow down a bit and save for those lenses that I really want.

I would eventually like to shoot with a 35L and 85L on FF bodies.

Since I'm currently a student and getting married next year, my camera fund is slow-flowing, so I'm trying to figure out the best path to get where I want to be.

I currently have a 20d, 50 f/1.8, and about $800 cash in my camera fund.

I don't have quite enough for the 35L yet, but after this week I think I will.

I really would like to get used to the 35/85 FF combo, but it seems like just getting the lenses and using them on the crop might be a better route than having other lenses to fill in for their equivalent FL's and selling them when I could afford everything at once.

Which route would you all go?

A) Buying what I eventually want anyway, then adding the 85L when I could afford it, then the FF's, so currently use:

20D, 35L, 50 f/1.8

or

B) Buying what I can afford now to fill in for what I would then be saving up for:

20Dx2, a sigma 20 or 24 f/1.8, and the 50 f/1.8

Thanks for any input!

sponsored links
Kzaroshen
233 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 07, 2009 23:51 |  #2

Option A sounds like the way to go, if you can cope without the focal length of the 85mmL until you can afford it later. Saves the hassle of having to get rid of old gear when the time comes around. Really comes down to what you'll be most comfortable with having, and if it's a need more than a want.

Canon 7D | Canon XSi | 18-55mm IS | 50mm 1.8 II | 85mm 1.8 | 28mm 2.8 | Tamrom 17-50mm 2.8 | YN468 + other lighting equipment.
My FlickR (external link)
Photoguy: "Find your own path. Follow it. Don't look back!"

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 08, 2009 00:03 |  #3

The problem I see with buying your two "dream" L's now is that the FOV will be totally different when you switch to FF. If you like the 35 and 85mm FOV on FF, using them on a crop body will provide 55 and 135mm equivalent. So you will not have lenses that suit your preference and style. OR, you will be forced alter your shooting style so that when you do move to FF, you will really want a 50L and 135L instead, since that is the FOV you got used to for the last year or two on the 20D.

I would not alter my shooting style to use a lens, I get the lens to suit my shooting style. So I say go with option B. You aren't going to lose more than $50-100 worst case selling them. And then when you get the 35 and 85 to go with your FF body, the transition will seem fairly seamless (other than your DOF will be doubly decreased) .

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

iqbal624
Goldmember
1,574 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 08, 2009 00:04 |  #4

I would do a different version of option B. I wouldn't buy another 20d... That's for starters, and I would get something that will help you test out those focal lengths. The 50 1.8 becomes an 85 1.8 and therefore, if you aren't going to have money to upgrade for a while, I would sell your 20d and your 50 1.8, and buy the following:

$1400 budget
30d - $400
50 1.4 - $325
something to get you the 35ish FL.. I personally would try to stay Canon because they hold resale better when you want to upgrade to the 35L. And IMO quality is better and iq is better. I would probably get a 28 1.8. On the crop it is about a 45mm but it's a great little lens!
That's about $400
I would then invest in a flash. 580exii (so you don't have to upgrade from buying a 430 now) $350

there you have it. All of your life's problems are solved! ;)

5d2 | | 50L | 28 1.8 | |
MacBook Pro 15 |

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 08, 2009 00:09 |  #5

iqbal624 wrote in post #8603170 (external link)
I personally would try to stay Canon because they hold resale better when you want to upgrade! ;)

But if you buy the 3rd party lenses used, they have already taken the depreciation hit and someone else has tested them for focus issues. Also the only Canon primes that are in the 35mm equivalent ballpark are f2.8 primes. Too slow, IMO, for someone dreaming of a 35L on FF.

Taylor

shooter ­ mcgavin
THREAD ­ STARTER
526 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 08, 2009 00:14 |  #6

Thanks for the wisdom so far, keep it coming. Yea, I'm not too set on that particular plan B that I set out, it was more the idea of buying equivalent FL's than anything really. I would definitely want something at least a stop faster than f/2.8 for each of them, and the only Canon option that I know of that's faster and not an L is the 28 f/1.8, but I would really like a bit wider I think, since even 24mm is a bit longer than a 35mm FF equivalent.

Canon should really make something like a 22 f/1.4 ef-s :)
It would just make this all easier.

shooter ­ mcgavin
THREAD ­ STARTER
526 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 08, 2009 00:21 |  #7

In case this clarifies anything, I don't depend on photography for my income. I do make money doing portraits and I'm getting into weddings (usually begging and borrowing other peoples gear :)), but the lenses I'm buying will be more for my own enjoyment for now. Once I'm done with school after this year, I will hopefully be closer to my ideal kit and be more comfortable spending more of my time pursuing photography as a career. Thanks!

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 08, 2009 00:22 |  #8

Do it now before you get married, that's the only advice I'm going to give (or should be given)

:lol:

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

shooter ­ mcgavin
THREAD ­ STARTER
526 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 08, 2009 00:24 |  #9

:)

maybe I should just sell my car...I'm a decent biker...

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 08, 2009 00:33 |  #10

shooter mcgavin wrote in post #8603251 (external link)
:)

maybe I should just sell my car...I'm a decent biker...

I know you are joking, but it is just gear, man. Get the Sigma 20 1.8 to go with your 50 1.8 and you will be set. You'll still have 3-400 left to get your L fund going. When you are using photography for your livelihood, or your income/savings gives you enough extra cash to buy the L's, go for it. Until then, why worry? Don't go crazy and alter your lifestyle for an extra 5% of performance out of your lenses.

Taylor

shooter ­ mcgavin
THREAD ­ STARTER
526 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 08, 2009 00:37 |  #11

I definitely was kidding, but you're right. I will keep my eyes open for a sigma 20 or 24, and until then I'll make my 50 work, which I've done many times before. I have a feeling it will get hard to keep all that money away from these forums once it starts building...I just need to stay on the 35 and 85 archives to stay motivated :). Thanks for your input!

alessandro2009
Goldmember
2,095 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 08, 2009 01:42 |  #12

mikekelley wrote in post #8603245 (external link)
Do it now before you get married, that's the only advice I'm going to give (or should be given)

:lol:

This is a golden rule! :lol:

I understand the fixed lens are many advantages respect the zoom (more compat, more bright, more
light) but with limited budget perhaps you could buy a zoom f/4 or f/2.8 (sigma 24-60 f/2.8 ), or a canon ef 24 f/2.8 so you could spend much less and buy also the canon ef 85 f/1.8 usm at the same time.

toxic
Goldmember
3,498 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 08, 2009 02:08 |  #13

Something like B. Presumably you like the 35L and 85L for their AoV on 35mm, so using them on APS-C makes no sense. Your lenses should fit your style, not the other way around.

Get the Sigma 20/1.8. Forget the second 20D, I don't see why you'd need it - if you get any paid gigs, just rent another camera. If you want, get a 50/1.4 used to minimize loss when you resell later. Stash the rest away.

Dawud
392 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 08, 2009 04:52 as a reply to  @ toxic's post |  #14

it depends on your shooting style, but I would save enough untill you can sell everything and get a used 5D and 35L. I can shoot most things zith this combo. After that you can buy a used 85 F1.8 and try to save for the 85 F 1.2 (wich can take a long time because it is so expensive :()

Camera • lenses

sponsored links

1,174 views & 0 likes for this thread
advice on saving for "dream kit"
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.