Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk 
Thread started 08 Sep 2009 (Tuesday) 14:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Autoguiding integrated into mount... possible or pipedream?

MintMark
385 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 08, 2009 14:48 |  #1

I've been reading lots about eq mounts lately (deciding what to buy) and I wondered if it would be possible to build autoguiding right into the mount.

I know some mounts have polar alignment scopes built in and I know some people do autoguiding with something as small as a finderscope and a webcam. I know there are autoguiders that don't need a separate computer... so, could you build a small scope, camera and autoguider right into the mount?

I suppose the scope part would need to be adjustable to find a view with a guide star in it. I bet there are loads of problems I don't know about and you're all about to tell me :) Either that or it's already out there and costs the earth!

Mark

sponsored links
spit
311 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 08, 2009 16:08 |  #2

roughly, id imagine you could make an auto guider port, the mount functions as NSEW, but the problem is when splicing the cables to add the port, most drive mounts slew at 2X 4X and 8X-- entirely to fast for an autoguider- then id imagine youd need to some kind of firmware like Ascom to be compatible, most of these handmand designs like your talking about, usually just adapt cheap LXD55 motors and use their software, along with making sure all the gears mesh right, a go-to is cheap today, your better off just buying one and save the headache and money

chris.bailey
Goldmember
2,061 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Sep 09, 2009 02:10 |  #3

EQ6 has an autoguiding port. Works a treat with my Lodestar guider and PHD guiding.

Adrena1in
Goldmember
1,703 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 09, 2009 08:08 |  #4

chris.bailey wrote in post #8609986 (external link)
EQ6 has an autoguiding port. Works a treat with my Lodestar guider and PHD guiding.

Are you talking about the new EQ6? I've just picked up an older one, and all it has is a port for the basic hand-controller. Chap I bought it off says I can mod the controller to add an additional port though.

Canon EOS 450D, Sigma 18-200mm, Canon 50mm f/2.5 Macro, 2x TC, Revelation 12" f/5 Dobsonian, Mintron PD2285-EX webcam.

MintMark
THREAD ­ STARTER
385 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 09, 2009 14:53 as a reply to  @ Adrena1in's post |  #5

Let me try and put it another way... I was imagining if it would be possible, in the future, for one of the mount manufacturers to bring out a mount that had a whole miniaturised autoguiding system built into the top of it. So the head of the mount actually contains a small guide scope, camera and autoguider.

All you have to do is put your scope (and/or camera) on top and the mount gives you autoguided tracking.

Another question... is this even desirable? How many situations are so demanding that unguided tracking is not good enough?

Just a thought... might be a totally stupid idea :)

Mark

spit
311 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 09, 2009 19:50 |  #6

not really- designing a built in guidescope isnt in the best interest for many reasons- the second question-- short exposures with excellant alignment may be good for a minute or a bit longer with a DSLR- but almost all other situations require being guided, your actually talking here 20-30 subs and with advanced imagers adding darks and flats, so unguided would end up a horror story

smallmadtv
48 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 10, 2009 13:33 |  #7

Another option is this:

http://www.mda-telescoop.com/ (external link)

http://www.smallmadtv.​com (external link)
[Material List]

Adrena1in
Goldmember
1,703 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 11, 2009 02:49 |  #8

smallmadtv wrote in post #8619481 (external link)
Another option is this:

http://www.mda-telescoop.com/ (external link)

Looks very interesting.

Canon EOS 450D, Sigma 18-200mm, Canon 50mm f/2.5 Macro, 2x TC, Revelation 12" f/5 Dobsonian, Mintron PD2285-EX webcam.

jmx
147 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 13, 2009 16:42 |  #9

I'm not sure if an autoguider built into the scope is the next step in mount evolution, but a mount with a finder scope built in and a CCD at the back of it, which can tell you how to adjust the mount so that polaris is PERFECTLY aligned in just the right spot would be great. If that initial polar alignment is perfect, it could save lots of time fussing about later.

http://jmx.ls1howto.co​m (external link)Beginner astro shots w/50D
Scopes: 6" Newtonian (750mm f/5), Skywatcher Equinox 80 (500mm f/6.25), AT 8" Newtonian (800mm f/4).
Old astrophoto setup for sale (SoCal only): http://jmx.ls1howto.co​m/forsale/index.html (external link)

MintMark
THREAD ­ STARTER
385 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 15, 2009 14:24 as a reply to  @ jmx's post |  #10

Oh OK, so that's like auto polar alignment. I guess it would need date and time (from a built in GPS) to work out where the pole is.

Don't some of the goto mounts effectively have something similar already? I'm not sure, just going by what I have read.

Anything that cuts down on setup time must be good!

Mark

Adrena1in
Goldmember
1,703 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 16, 2009 03:21 |  #11

MintMark wrote in post #8649743 (external link)
Don't some of the goto mounts effectively have something similar already? I'm not sure, just going by what I have read.

My EQ5 GOTO has built-in routines to aid Polar alignment. For example, on the 3-star align routine, it asks you to select a star from a list, then it slews to where it thinks the star should be, and you then manually slew the mount until said star is in the centre of the eyepiece. Repeat that twice, and the system then tells you how many degrees out the mount is. You then have to manually adjust it accordingly. I think some systems do similar routines, but rather than tell you how inaccurate your mount is, the system adjusts itself for the error.

sponsored links

1,907 views & 0 likes for this thread
Autoguiding integrated into mount... possible or pipedream?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.