Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Sep 2009 (Thursday) 06:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Upgraded from 40D to 1Dmkii - some thoughts

Hedley
197 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 10, 2009 06:46 |  #1

There are plenty of other threads speculating about whether to swap their XXD/XXXD bodies for a 1D of some kind or another, so having just added a 1Dmkii to the bag, I thought I'd offer up some initial thoughts.

Firstly, speaking as an old MESuper user, it is great to finally have an old school exposure meter up the side of the viewfinder, and having the same for flash exposure is superb. When a newcomer to photography is struggling to master M mode, or manual flash control, it's all much clearer when all the info is laid out for you like it is on the 1D. Controlling the flash especially becomes much more intuitive.

For those that haven't used one, the selecting of menu options on the 1D is also very different. Across the menus, you need to hold down a 'select' button whilst scrolling to the item you want, then release the initial button. This means that it is virtually impossible to alter/delete something accidentally (so far).

Getting used to the difference in crop factor is not too big an issue but it's definitely noticeable. For me, it's made the 24-70mm far more useful at the wide end.

45 focus points... certainly a bit of a step up, and being able to register a single focus point is handy, so if you were using an off-centre focus point for one shot, a single button press can ping you back to the centre AF point or another of your choice.

And then there's the focusing. It's fast. I may be slightly biased towards my lovely new best friend but I was shooting sports and hadn't noticed I was still in one shot mode!

Anyway... yes it's heavier but it makes it so much easier to take control of every aspect of your shooting and that is exactly what I was after. Hope this may help anyone in the same boat as I was.

sponsored links
cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 10, 2009 06:53 |  #2

Yeah they're pretty good cameras.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

DarrenL
873 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 10, 2009 17:40 |  #3

Nice write up, very useful for those considering the upgrade.

Darren

www.dlactionimages.co.​uk (external link)
Sportsshooter Member (external link)

jphendren
167 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 11, 2009 10:20 |  #4

Welcome to the club!! I too recently upgraded from a 5D to a 1Ds Mark II. Yes the menu system is taking some time to get use to, but it is doable. These 1 series have so many features, little things that make them a joy to use. I know that it is no big deal, but I really love the little eye-piece curtain that you can close with the lever on the viewfinder.

Jared

1V | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | EF 70-200mm f/4L USM | TC-80N3 | Gitzo GT0530 |

Stormin_24
Cream of the Crop
5,810 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 11, 2009 13:46 |  #5

My advice is look up Canonloader in the bird forum, he went from a 40D to the 1D MKII... He can tell you exactly what is an isn't..

New Hampshire State Bird: Purple Finch
http://www.netstate.co​m …birds/nh_purple​_finch.htm (external link)
Gear
Norman
Did they get you to trade, your hero's for ghosts?

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 11, 2009 13:59 |  #6

Hedley wrote in post #8617361 (external link)
being able to register a single focus point is handy, so if you were using an off-centre focus point for one shot, a single button press can ping you back to the centre AF point or another of your choice.

This is one feature I would get a lot of use out of.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

aridan
Goldmember
2,882 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Dec 2003

Sep 12, 2009 06:21 |  #7

Just went from a 40D to a 1DIII myself, I can relate to everything you wrote above :)

5D Mark III | 135L | 24-70L | 580EXII | Flickr | Instagram (external link)

sponsored links

1,242 views & 0 likes for this thread
Upgraded from 40D to 1Dmkii - some thoughts
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.