Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 10 Sep 2009 (Thursday) 12:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Cascade Falls

MrGreen
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 10, 2009 12:40 |  #1

I did some waterfall shooting this past long weekend. I shot two waterfalls in one day, and this was the first waterfall I shot. The lighting was perfect because it was pouring rain ALL day, but that also made the ground and rocks very slippery and dangerous. C&C welcome on all of these.

1)

IMAGE: http://www.millionflame.com/photo/Waterfalls/CascadeFalls01/images/IMG_6995_v01.jpg

2)
IMAGE: http://www.millionflame.com/photo/Waterfalls/CascadeFalls01/images/IMG_7004_v01.jpg

3)
IMAGE: http://www.millionflame.com/photo/Waterfalls/CascadeFalls01/images/IMG_7007_v01.jpg

4)
IMAGE: http://www.millionflame.com/photo/Waterfalls/CascadeFalls01/images/IMG_7028_v01.jpg

5)
IMAGE: http://www.millionflame.com/photo/Waterfalls/CascadeFalls01/images/IMG_7032_v01.jpg

6)
IMAGE: http://www.millionflame.com/photo/Waterfalls/CascadeFalls01/images/IMG_7038_v01.jpg

7)
IMAGE: http://www.millionflame.com/photo/Waterfalls/CascadeFalls01/images/IMG_7068_v01.jpg

Thanks for looking!

My site: www.millionflame.com (external link)
Gear: 7D - Zeikos Grip, Rebel XTi/400D - Opteka Grip, EF 24-105mm f/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8L MACRO, EF 50mm f/1.8 (Nifty Fifty), EF-s 55-250mm (Nifty Two-Fifty), Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Σ 150-500mm (Bigmos), Σ 35mm f/1.4, Σ 85mm f/1.4, Feisol CT-3442 CF Tripod, Photo Clam PC-40NS Ball head, 580 EX II Flash

namasste
Cream of the Crop
6,884 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 10, 2009 13:06 |  #2

Mr. G, first off, great set of images. That area is simply spectacular and I'd love to shoot it sometime (just seems I am always on a bike when I am out that way). Looks like you had some good conditions and the results bear it out. I'll try to offer a few thoughts...

1. Solid shot. I might bring down the lighting on the rocks surrounding the falls a tiny bit but otherwise, I love it.

2. Great idea but the plant between the trees kills it for me. If it wasn't there, I think you'd need to step to your left slightly to move the falls onto a 1/3 intersection. its a rule that can be broken but I think its needed here since the foreground is so prominent that you'll otherwise lose your subject.

3. Maybe the best of the bunch. I'd bump the blacks a tiny bit and bring down the mids in the rocks and then hang it up on the wall.

4. A bit busy but otherwise a nice shot.

5. Rivals (and maybe beats 3) as my favorite. You could bring down the foreground brightness slightly but that's the only thing I'd change. This shot IS the PNW!

6. and 7. Nice enouch shots but not ones that got me saying wow like 3 and 5.

Hope that helps and thanks for sharing some fantastic images.

Scott Evans Photography (external link)
SportsShooterProfile (external link) l MaxPreps Profile (external link)
Gear List

ajosteve
Cream of the Crop
16,468 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 10, 2009 13:29 |  #3

Excellent series Mr. G. Very fine compositions on these! I love the framing on the 6th with the logs....Well done on all of them!

Steve

MrGreen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 10, 2009 15:41 |  #4

namasste wrote in post #8619323 (external link)
Mr. G, first off, great set of images. That area is simply spectacular and I'd love to shoot it sometime (just seems I am always on a bike when I am out that way). Looks like you had some good conditions and the results bear it out. I'll try to offer a few thoughts...

1. Solid shot. I might bring down the lighting on the rocks surrounding the falls a tiny bit but otherwise, I love it.

2. Great idea but the plant between the trees kills it for me. If it wasn't there, I think you'd need to step to your left slightly to move the falls onto a 1/3 intersection. its a rule that can be broken but I think its needed here since the foreground is so prominent that you'll otherwise lose your subject.

3. Maybe the best of the bunch. I'd bump the blacks a tiny bit and bring down the mids in the rocks and then hang it up on the wall.

4. A bit busy but otherwise a nice shot.

5. Rivals (and maybe beats 3) as my favorite. You could bring down the foreground brightness slightly but that's the only thing I'd change. This shot IS the PNW!

6. and 7. Nice enouch shots but not ones that got me saying wow like 3 and 5.

Hope that helps and thanks for sharing some fantastic images.

Hey, thanks so much for the feedback. That really helps. I do plan on going back soon to try out some new comps and improve on others.

ajosteve wrote in post #8619462 (external link)
Excellent series Mr. G. Very fine compositions on these! I love the framing on the 6th with the logs....Well done on all of them!

Thanks a lot. I wasn't sure about the logs, but it couldn't hurt to try right? :D

My site: www.millionflame.com (external link)
Gear: 7D - Zeikos Grip, Rebel XTi/400D - Opteka Grip, EF 24-105mm f/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8L MACRO, EF 50mm f/1.8 (Nifty Fifty), EF-s 55-250mm (Nifty Two-Fifty), Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Σ 150-500mm (Bigmos), Σ 35mm f/1.4, Σ 85mm f/1.4, Feisol CT-3442 CF Tripod, Photo Clam PC-40NS Ball head, 580 EX II Flash

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

977 views & 0 likes for this thread
Cascade Falls
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.