Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 12 Sep 2009 (Saturday) 14:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The Meaning of "L"

wickerprints
"Shooting blanks"
864 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 12, 2009 14:21 |  #1

I've seen a lot of confusion and misinformation on this forum about what Canon's "L" designation for its EF lenses is supposed to represent. I hear myths repeated and a variety of accusations leveled at others over this single, scarlet letter.

So, here is what Canon says about it in EF Lens Work III, 8th edition, 2006, Chapter 2:

L Lenses: Where Dreams are Crystal Clear.

The bright red line engraved on the lens barrel. And an L for "luxury."
The Canon EF lens L series possesses a level of quality sufficiently high to be called professional, designed to include groundbreaking image performance, outstanding operability, and resistance to weather and aging.
"L." This name is reserved only for those few lenses that can meet stringent standards of performance, using fluorite (an artificial crystal), a ground and polished aspherical surface, UD, super UD lenses, or other special optical materials.
Optical design without compromise together with optical theory and precision engineering technologies that are as steeped in tradition as they are cutting edge.
And the result of the relentless pursuit of these ideals is the L series of the Canon EF lenses.

If you read through Chapters 3 and 4, you will find that there is a general rule that the L series lenses follow, in accordance with the above. Every L lens *must* employ one of the above special optical materials. That is to say, if a lens does not have any of these, it is never called L.

(There appears to be a misprint for the 85/1.2L II, as the cross-section diagram shows a caption for aspherical glass but that particular element is not shaded as such.)

However, there are a few (and I really do mean a few) EF lenses that do use one of these special materials but are not given the L designation, presumably because of the other factors mentioned in the quote.

EF-S lenses are never given the L designation, even if they satisfy all of the above criteria.

I realize that this is not going to settle the debate over the L designation; I know there will always be people who want to make L about something they have made up in their own minds, like an all-metal barrel, or full weather sealing, or marketing gibberish. For what it's worth, what I have posted here is what can be definitively determined from Canon's own published materials.

5DmkII :: EF 24-105/4L IS :: EF 85/1.8 :: EF 70-200/2.8L IS :: EF 100/2.8L IS macro (coming soon!)

sponsored links
krepta
I swear I'm Ken Rockwell!
8,482 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 12, 2009 15:03 |  #2

You bring up a very good point. I think many people are not aware of these facts and believe L lenses are only characterized by a sturdier build, weather-sealing, and the red ring.

By the way, the EF Lens Work III by Canon is a very good read throughout. Those of you who have never heard of this should take a look.

Alex | flickr (external link) | Gear & Feedback | Food! (external link)

HankScorpio
Goldmember
2,700 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 12, 2009 15:08 |  #3

krepta wrote in post #8632167 (external link)
I think many people are not aware of these facts and believe L lenses are only characterized by a sturdier build, weather-sealing

They'd be wrong on both those counts as only a few are weather sealed and some are very fragile.

My collection of boxes with holes (external link)
EXIF semper intacta.
Gort! Klaatu barada nikto.

jacuff
Goldmember
2,581 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 12, 2009 15:25 |  #4

wickerprints wrote in post #8631941 (external link)
EF-S lenses are never given the L designation, even if they satisfy all of the above criteria.

For what it's worth, what I have posted here is what can be definitively determined from Canon's own published materials.

Oh really? I don't see anywhere that says that EF-S lenses are never given the L designation. So far, no EF-S lenses have been given the L designation, but that doesn't mean there won't be some in the future. Especially now that Canon is bringing a more serious APS-C camera to the market soon, aka the 7D.

BTW: Do you remember the Powershot Pro1 Point & Shoot? ;)

Gear, Feedback (eBay (external link)), Web (external link), Blog (external link), FB (external link), Twitter (external link)

neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Sep 12, 2009 15:27 |  #5

L of a lot of money.

Neil - © NHR Photography
Commercial Site (external link) - Video Site (external link) - Blog - (external link)Gear List There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

wickerprints
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Shooting blanks"
864 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 12, 2009 15:48 |  #6

jacuff wrote in post #8632276 (external link)
Oh really? I don't see anywhere that says that EF-S lenses are never given the L designation. So far, no EF-S lenses have been given the L designation, but that doesn't mean there won't be some in the future. Especially now that Canon is bringing a more serious APS-C camera to the market soon, aka the 7D.

To date, this is how the L lens designation has been assigned. Perhaps I could have been more precise and said "EF-S lenses have never been given the L designation." I cannot speculate as to whether they ever will be.

However, given that the EF-S 10-22 and 17-55 lenses clearly show they have the optical construction of an L series lens, they are still not designated as such.

BTW: Do you remember the Powershot Pro1 Point & Shoot? ;)

Yes, I do. It was the first (and only) example in which Canon gave an L designation to a non-interchangeable lens.

5DmkII :: EF 24-105/4L IS :: EF 85/1.8 :: EF 70-200/2.8L IS :: EF 100/2.8L IS macro (coming soon!)

neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Sep 12, 2009 15:50 |  #7

wickerprints wrote in post #8632363 (external link)
Yes, I do. It was the first (and only) example in which Canon gave an L designation to a non-interchangeable lens.

I have non interchangeable L lenses on both my Canon Video Cameras

Neil - © NHR Photography
Commercial Site (external link) - Video Site (external link) - Blog - (external link)Gear List There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

wickerprints
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Shooting blanks"
864 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 12, 2009 15:52 |  #8

neil_r wrote in post #8632378 (external link)
I have non interchangeable L lenses on both my Canon Video Cameras

*sigh* I should have clarified that as a *still* camera lens. :(

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,323 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Sep 12, 2009 15:54 |  #9

wickerprints wrote in post #8631941 (external link)
I've seen a lot of confusion and misinformation on this forum about what Canon's "L" designation for its EF lenses is supposed to represent. I hear myths repeated and a variety of accusations leveled at others over this single, scarlet letter.

So, here is what Canon says about it in EF Lens Work III, 8th edition, 2006, Chapter 2:

If you read through Chapters 3 and 4, you will find that there is a general rule that the L series lenses follow, in accordance with the above. Every L lens *must* employ one of the above special optical materials. That is to say, if a lens does not have any of these, it is never called L.

(There appears to be a misprint for the 85/1.2L II, as the cross-section diagram shows a caption for aspherical glass but that particular element is not shaded as such.)

However, there are a few (and I really do mean a few) EF lenses that do use one of these special materials but are not given the L designation, presumably because of the other factors mentioned in the quote.

I realize that this is not going to settle the debate over the L designation; I know there will always be people who want to make L about something they have made up in their own minds, like an all-metal barrel, or full weather sealing, or marketing gibberish. For what it's worth, what I have posted here is what can be definitively determined from Canon's own published materials.

"Optical design without compromise together with optical theory and precision engineering technologies that are as steeped in tradition..."

ef-s lenses are hardly "steeped in tradition" and they are compromised because they only fit canon's entry level cameras and aren't built to the highest standards.

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8 art, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

Brett
Goldmember
4,176 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 12, 2009 16:49 |  #10

ed rader wrote in post #8632390 (external link)
ef-s lenses are hardly "steeped in tradition" and they are compromised because they only fit canon's entry level cameras and aren't built to the highest standards.

ed rader

I'd say the 7D is a bit beyond "entry level".

flickr (external link)

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,323 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Sep 12, 2009 16:51 |  #11

Brett wrote in post #8632639 (external link)
I'd say the 7D is a bit beyond "entry level".

the 7d hasn't even hit the market yet. ef-s lenses have been around for several years.

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8 art, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

328somewhere
640 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 12, 2009 17:32 |  #12

Nevermind.

Molnies
277 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 12, 2009 17:34 |  #13

wickerprints wrote in post #8632381 (external link)
*sigh* I should have clarified that as a *still* camera lens. :(

I know you talked about L on lenses, but just for the fun of it... Check these out (external link), if you haven't seem them already.

Fredrik — Portfolio (external link)
50D — 350D + BG-E3 — 100-400mm L IS — 100mm f/2.8 Macro — 50mm f/1.8 — EF-S 18-55mm — Tamron 90 f/2.8 Macro
Manfrotto 055ProB + 488RC2 — Speedlite 430EX — Sigma EM-140 DG Macro flash — Kenko tubes

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 12, 2009 17:44 |  #14

Canon are whores, like any other company selling stuff. They'll slap the L on anything if it helps move product. Leica on a Panasonic? Zeiss on a...whatever that point & shoot is with Zeiss on the front? Oh yeah --- Sony. C'mon folks.

The entire EOS/EF system hasn't been around long enough to be "steeped in tradition" - that's marketing hoo-hah.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

MR ­ do ­ little
Goldmember
2,399 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 12, 2009 17:58 |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

Oh you gone and done it now... LOL :lol:

Regards
Paul L.

sponsored links

6,735 views & 0 likes for this thread
The Meaning of "L"
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.