Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 13 Sep 2009 (Sunday) 14:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Order photo prints in the UK

flyboy89
100 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 13, 2009 14:12 |  #1

I'm going to be studying abroad in Leicester UK this year and I am interested in making prints while I'm there. Does anyone know of a service like mpix or something that is high quality and somewhat cheap?
Thanks for your help

sponsored links
Racerman
101 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 13, 2009 14:30 |  #2

DS Colour Labs based in Didsbury, Manchester quite cheap
here is the price list:
http://www.dscolourlab​s.co.uk/digital_photo_​printing.cfm (external link)
postage can be expensive some times but never really had a problem with them

also use Photobox sometimes
http://www.photobox.co​.uk/ (external link)
can be cheaper than DSCL only because of postage the actual products are more expensive but it's about the overall charge not the individual prices =D

hope these two get you started and if you find any decent ones let me know ;)

Equipment: Canon 20D & Gripped 30D, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, 70-200 f/4L, Speedlite 580ex ii, PocketWizards, Lowepro Computrekker Plus AW & Flipside 300
Tech Gear: 27" iMac, 2 MacBook's & iPhone 3Gs
Flickr (external link)
Website (external link)

aliflack
401 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Sep 14, 2009 07:15 as a reply to  @ Racerman's post |  #3

I use PhotoBox all the time and find them to be very reliable, quick and great quality. The only thing to watch out for is calibration of your monitor to their printers as I found my first batch of prints were too dark...

40D, 16-35L F2.8, 24-70L F2.8, 70-300mm IS, 100mm F2.8, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.8, Elinchrom D-Lites, Mid Octa, 580 EX
My Portfolio: Alistair Flack Photography (external link)
Flickr (external link)

flyboy89
THREAD ­ STARTER
100 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 18, 2010 06:37 |  #4

As it happens, I have tons of pics now from Fall 2009 Semester, and I shall be selecting suitable photos to print, I think I'll try photobox since they have a 40 free print thing, I would like some large prints, so I'll have to see how that stuff turns out... I'll let you know :)

anthonyi
Goldmember
1,362 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 18, 2010 07:07 |  #5

I find Loxley Colour beat Photobox hands down...

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 18, 2010 07:50 |  #6

anthonyi,

Certainly for pure quality regardless of expense Loxley are high on my short list.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

anthonyi
Goldmember
1,362 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 18, 2010 07:58 |  #7

Hi Richard....yes, I know they're somewhat more expensive and the OP did ask budget to be considered. I find the issue with Photobox to be that sometimes a print will just not come out right and yet, a Loxley print of the same file is perfect (of course everyone may have a different experience). Photobox didn't seem worth the saving to me when I ended up having the images reprinted by Loxley to get the result I wanted/was expecting.

So I guess I'm saying that while Photobox can be just fine, overall I find it cheaper to go to Loxley and get it right first time.

Retouch ­ UK
224 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 18, 2010 08:07 as a reply to  @ anthonyi's post |  #8

I have not had a chance to try them yet but a few people have recomended RGB Photo to me.

http://www.rgb-photo.co.uk/ (external link)

Im going to give them a shot with my next batch

Chris.

Electric ­ Shepherd
997 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 18, 2010 12:12 as a reply to  @ Retouch UK's post |  #9

Have you tried any of the camera shops? Jessops have a branch on Granby Street, whilst Jacobs have a branch on the corner of Granby Street and Belvoir Street [plus the main store on London Road] and there's Youngs Cameras further up Belvoir Street towards the library.

I haven't used them myself as I generally print at home, but it might be worth your while trying them out for a handful of prints and see whether you like them.

Failing that there's Peak Imaging, based in Sheffield, who are high quality printers/developers and Togsprint, based in Leeds, who have done some larger scale prints for me in the past - not as good quality wise compared to Peak Imaging, but cheaper.

My Gear

My flickr (external link)

flyboy89
THREAD ­ STARTER
100 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 18, 2010 16:41 as a reply to  @ Electric Shepherd's post |  #10

Actually I have been to those places on Granby, and the are somewhat expensive, I would probably do a bulk order when I do get them printed, so it may be worth to use that more expensive service mentioned earlier just to get it right. I went to a place that has kodak computer/printer hybrids and that was like 44 p per 4 by 6, which is expensive and I didnt really like the way their colors turned out. It was different from their screen and my screen lol. Hmm...

Obtong
369 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 19, 2010 09:14 |  #11

Everything is expensive in the UK, sales tax (Value Added Tax) is huge there also, so make sure you have all the gear you want purchased in the US before you go over. Do you need to have the prints on hand in the UK, or do you just like having prints as a "physical record". You could always send them to be printed from Mpix and have them delivered to your (home) US address.
~Dom

Digital: 6D, 5D, 50mm f/1.8 Mk 1, 85mm f/1.8, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200L f/4, 550EX, 580EX ii (2), 430EZ (2)
Film: AE-1, A-1, M6, Kowa Super 66

GregSteer
705 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 19, 2010 11:47 |  #12

Just to add my previous experience of Photobox into the mix I won't be ordering from them again.

As aliflack said above make sure you're monitor is calibrated to their printers if you do.

I've had to have various print runs re-printed by them in the past due to miscut & misprinted prints, I received half of my order and half of someone elses, and damaged prints. In fact I don't think I had a single order without a problem. Their customer service is good though!

I'm still hunting for a better alternative myself, RBG-tech were top of my list when I start printing again.

"Never trust a man, who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on" - Billy Connolly - [Gear] - [Flickr] (external link) - Call me Greg

flyboy89
THREAD ­ STARTER
100 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 19, 2010 18:25 |  #13

Obtong wrote in post #9425034 (external link)
Everything is expensive in the UK, sales tax (Value Added Tax) is huge there also, so make sure you have all the gear you want purchased in the US before you go over. Do you need to have the prints on hand in the UK, or do you just like having prints as a "physical record". You could always send them to be printed from Mpix and have them delivered to your (home) US address.
~DOm

Oh I knowww, I was at Jacobs on Granby street, and they wanted 200 pounds for the 430EXII flash! Thats approx 330 dollars! So when I went home I bought my flash from amazon us. I see when I go to amazon us from the UK its like "shopping from UK? Go to amazon UK!" and I think ha! Yeah right, thats way more expensive. Some Sigma lenses are the same number value in cost :(.

The point being I want prints here to decorate my room, and to give to my friends. In all these 3 years I have only given 2 prints to friends of mine. They liked them though :)

GregSteer
705 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 19, 2010 18:28 |  #14

flyboy89 wrote in post #9428684 (external link)
Oh I knowww, I was at Jacobs on Granby street, and they wanted 200 pounds for the 430EXII flash! Thats approx 330 dollars! So when I went home I bought my flash from amazon us. I see when I go to amazon us from the UK its like "shopping from UK? Go to amazon UK!" and I think ha! Yeah right, thats way more expensive. Some Sigma lenses are the same number value in cost :(.

The point being I want prints here to decorate my room, and to give to my friends. In all these 3 years I have only given 2 prints to friends of mine. They liked them though :)

In that case Photobox would be fine, just remember to up your output brightness by 15-20 and saturation by 5-8 (at least they were my figures) and be prepared to send a couple back, hopefully they've improved by now :) I was speaking previously from a re-sale quality pov.

"Never trust a man, who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on" - Billy Connolly - [Gear] - [Flickr] (external link) - Call me Greg

sponsored links

1,552 views & 0 likes for this thread
Order photo prints in the UK
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.