Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 Sep 2009 (Wednesday) 07:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Who cares about viewfinder size?

spamster
914 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 16, 2009 17:12 |  #31

I'm for big on viewfinders. Better for manual focusing and less strain on my eyes.

Gear List

sponsored links
JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,540 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 16, 2009 17:14 |  #32

kasey wrote in post #8654143 (external link)
Maybe it's me, but I am a bit surprised by the amount of marketing efforts and seeming importance people place on the viewfinder. Canon and Sony literally have pages on their brochure boasting the size of the pentaprism. To me, that just means you get more of an ache carrying that extra bulk.

I mean, does it really matter to you if it's that slightly larger? I don't notice much of a difference between cameras of the same sensor size anyway. It's not like it will affect image quality or my composition, why such a big deal over it?

Viewfinder size and quality is one of the most important items to me. It is the single most important connection between the user and the camera.

Without a good viewfinder it is hard to study the photo before you take it.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

reng2009
218 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 16, 2009 17:47 |  #33

borism wrote in post #8654230 (external link)
I even notice a big difference between how the XSI viewfinder compares to the 40D when I switched, even and when they both cover roughly the same area and have the same size of sensor, but the 40D carries a pentaprism viewfinder

For me that is important

For me, too. When I was shopping for my first DSLR back in February, I was looking for a basic camera on a budget. My criteria were: 1) superb IQ; 2) durability; and 3) comfortable handling. Nothing else mattered.

(My eyesight is failing, so I need big viewfinder and big LCD.)

I tried the XSi, D60 and D90, and I found them very uncomfortable to hold and operate. I also didn't like the plastic construction.

But when I tried the 40D, I instantly fell in love with it! Perfect grip, fantastic ergonomics. All-magnesium body. Large and bright viewfinder. And at CAD$1180, it was easily the best photographic bargain on the market. Well worth the price difference. And this is for a basic DSLR camera.

(I'm still on a budget.)

Yes, the viewfinder definitely matters.

xarqi
Cream of the Crop
10,435 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Sep 16, 2009 17:58 |  #34

I care a great deal. Having to peer through a dim, cramped tube and not seeing everything that will be captured when making the most important decision relating to any image, that is, composition, was the biggest shock I received when changing from my OM2 to my 30D.

It is a big driver in my desire to move to full frame, and I hope that there will be 100% coverage by the time I can afford that.

oaktree
Goldmember
1,835 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 16, 2009 18:03 as a reply to  @ post 8655389 |  #35

I've worn glasses for 60 years :( and I'm the mad cropper :) , so I can't see any difference and, thus, don't care.

Too much stuff, not enough shooting time.

Canon T4i (2 lenses), Fuji X100s, Olympus OM-D EM-1 (3 lenses)

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,316 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Sep 16, 2009 18:19 |  #36

kasey wrote in post #8654143 (external link)
Maybe it's me, but I am a bit surprised by the amount of marketing efforts and seeming importance people place on the viewfinder. Canon and Sony literally have pages on their brochure boasting the size of the pentaprism. To me, that just means you get more of an ache carrying that extra bulk.

I mean, does it really matter to you if it's that slightly larger? I don't notice much of a difference between cameras of the same sensor size anyway. It's not like it will affect image quality or my composition, why such a big deal over it?

the first DSLR that i've had with a big viewfinder was the 5d. i noticed it right off. i was also shooting the 30d. when i went back and forth between cameras i really wasn't noticing that much difference tho.

both of my cameras now have large viewfinders. one is larger than the other and i really can't tell difference. maybe if i thought about it or did a comparison but that just isn't what i do :D.

sooo....for me bigger is better to a degree but then it doesn't make that much difference. my old eyes tend to acclimate quickly to whatever i'm using.

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8 art, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

xarqi
Cream of the Crop
10,435 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Sep 16, 2009 18:28 |  #37

ed rader wrote in post #8657717 (external link)
the first DSLR that i've had with a big viewfinder was the 5d. i noticed it right off. i was also shooting the 30d. when i went back and forth between cameras i really wasn't noticing that much difference tho.

Yeah - that worries me a bit too. Canon's FF viewfinders are still puny compared to the OM ones that set my standard, even if they are better than the APS-C ones. I did take a look through a 5D2 yesterday though, and it looked pretty decent; totally beyond my means at the moment.

Many is the time I have wished that Olympus had not gone for the 4/3 digital format.

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,540 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 16, 2009 18:41 |  #38

xarqi wrote in post #8657752 (external link)
Yeah - that worries me a bit too. Canon's FF viewfinders are still puny compared to the OM ones that set my standard, even if they are better than the APS-C ones. I did take a look through a 5D2 yesterday though, and it looked pretty decent; totally beyond my means at the moment.

Many is the time I have wished that Olympus had not gone for the 4/3 digital format.

The OM-1 VF was about the best 135 format viewfinder on a manual focus camera. It's unfair to compare autofocus viewfinders to that standard though because of the light lost to the partial mirror. If Canon made the 5D VF that big everyone would **** about how dark it is.

To be more fair we should be comparing the 5D and 1Ds viewfinders to the better ones of the autofocus film era. In this contect the 5D is middle of the road and the 1Ds is pretty good.

On another topic, a different great viewfinder experience comes from using a high quality rangefinder with a wide or normal lens. It's a different approach to composition when you can clearly see what you are about to shoot and also the stuff that is around the frame.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

guntoter
Goldmember
2,409 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 16, 2009 18:47 |  #39

Hmmmm........me.
Others have stated the reasons. One more reason to upgrade. Not by itself, but it adds to the accumulation of features that are behind me giving a little nudge.

Joel
GEAR
Flickr (external link)

CBokeh
80 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 16, 2009 18:48 |  #40

For the first time, viewfinder size was a major consideration for me too, because I wasn't really sure how much I was gonna rely on Live View.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 16, 2009 18:54 |  #41

When I had the XT I felt like I was looking through a tunnel. It strained my eyes and gave me headaches.

With the 30D and especially the 1D II, it's no issue.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

dcad10
211 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 16, 2009 19:00 |  #42

yogestee wrote in post #8655112 (external link)
A bigger, brighter viewfinder makes for easier manual focusing..

+1 ... try manually focusing on a 5d then try and do it on an xti bigger is definitely better!

Grimes
Goldmember
1,323 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Sep 16, 2009 19:07 |  #43

My dad's OM-1 definitely has an amazing VF....my 5D VF is much better compared to my old XT's. It just makes shooting a whole lot more easier/fun!

Alex
5DMKII | 85 f/1.8 | 17-40L f/4 | 24-105 f/4 IS | 40 f/2.8

Marloon
Goldmember
4,323 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 16, 2009 19:07 |  #44

Oh it definitely matters! It's great! Jumping from a 40d to a 5dii, I've noticed such a huge difference in viewfinder size. It definitely spoils you like crazy!

I'm MARLON

Former Canon Platinum CPS member

5DII • 24L • 35L • 50L • 85L • 135L • 200LIS

Wordpress Blog (external link)Youtube Channel (external link)Twitter (external link)Gear List (external link)

MLphoto
Goldmember
1,469 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 16, 2009 19:26 |  #45

the xti has a horrible view finder, it's so dark and crappy... this is going to be a huge upgrade for me.

http://flickr.com/marc​el-lech-photography (external link)

sponsored links

8,383 views & 0 likes for this thread
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.