Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 17 Sep 2009 (Thursday) 15:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Balanced Sunset

MrGreen
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 17, 2009 15:52 |  #1

I took these shots a bit over a week ago. I found these balanced rock things someone had set-up so I figured they'd make some interesting foreground interest.

I'm not too sure how I like these overall. Honestly, I'm only really happy with 1 image, and another I am on the fence about leaning towards liking it. When I took the shots that night I remember feeling like these would turn out amazing. The image on the LCD looked great, but then I started editing after a while had passed and I didn't get that same feeling. ???

I'm curious what others think, and if there is anything I should have done different to be more appealing. Please offer some C&C if you have the time. Thanks.

1) I thought this would turn out spectacular, but after editing I'm not so sure. I know the moving clouds screwed me over a bit, and I fixed them a bit, but I dunno.

IMAGE: http://www.millionflame.com/photo/Sunsets/EnglishBay06/images/IMG_6805_v01.jpg

2) I have a portrait comp of this, but I somehow liked the landscape better.
IMAGE: http://www.millionflame.com/photo/Sunsets/EnglishBay06/images/IMG_6835_v01.jpg

3) Tried an experiment here. I normally never shoot selective focus for sunsets, but I really like this one and I'm going to make a point to do this more often. Especially since the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 provides so much flexibility in that regard. I love it!
IMAGE: http://www.millionflame.com/photo/Sunsets/EnglishBay06/images/IMG_6841_v01.jpg

4) I shot this one while waiting for some people to get out of my way on another composition, but I ended up liking this one too. The log really drew me towards this composition.
IMAGE: http://www.millionflame.com/photo/Sunsets/EnglishBay06/images/IMG_6856_v01.jpg

My site: www.millionflame.com (external link)
Gear: 7D - Zeikos Grip, Rebel XTi/400D - Opteka Grip, EF 24-105mm f/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8L MACRO, EF 50mm f/1.8 (Nifty Fifty), EF-s 55-250mm (Nifty Two-Fifty), Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Σ 150-500mm (Bigmos), Σ 35mm f/1.4, Σ 85mm f/1.4, Feisol CT-3442 CF Tripod, Photo Clam PC-40NS Ball head, 580 EX II Flash

sponsored links
Desolate ­ America
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 17, 2009 17:27 |  #2

I like the last one because the log draws your eye to the sun, which is the point of interest in these photos. Concerning the others, your composition is good, but I feel they don't work as well since you are trying to have the rocks as the point of interest while they eye is naturally drawn to the sun since it is so dominating.

nprdavid
977 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 17, 2009 19:02 |  #3

The last one for me too

Composition is pretty good

Hoosier Daddy
Flickr (external link)

24alpha
Goldmember
1,031 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 17, 2009 19:07 |  #4

Woohoo, I've been there!

These shots are amazing. I really love how they make me feel. I believe the rocks balanced on each other was to signify that a love one was out fishing (I think) and it wished them a safe journey home.

stuman16
Goldmember
1,004 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 17, 2009 20:02 |  #5

Very Nice photos, I like them all very much.

www.stumanphoto.com (external link)

MrGreen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 17, 2009 23:46 |  #6

Desolate America wrote in post #8661980 (external link)
I like the last one because the log draws your eye to the sun, which is the point of interest in these photos. Concerning the others, your composition is good, but I feel they don't work as well since you are trying to have the rocks as the point of interest while they eye is naturally drawn to the sun since it is so dominating.

Good point about the dominate sun. It'll always be like that because it's a bright area. It's a hard balance.

nprdavid wrote in post #8662456 (external link)
The last one for me too

Composition is pretty good

Thanks. I agree this one has the strongest composition.

24alpha wrote in post #8662484 (external link)
Woohoo, I've been there!

These shots are amazing. I really love how they make me feel. I believe the rocks balanced on each other was to signify that a love one was out fishing (I think) and it wished them a safe journey home.

I've never heard that about the balanced rocks. There are literally hundreds of these things all over the beach usually. If you walk up and down the seawall you can find them all over the place.

stuman16 wrote in post #8662734 (external link)
Very Nice photos, I like them all very much.

Thanks a lot. I appreciate the comment.

Gear: 7D - Zeikos Grip, Rebel XTi/400D - Opteka Grip, EF 24-105mm f/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8L MACRO, EF 50mm f/1.8 (Nifty Fifty), EF-s 55-250mm (Nifty Two-Fifty), Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Σ 150-500mm (Bigmos), Σ 35mm f/1.4, Σ 85mm f/1.4, Feisol CT-3442 CF Tripod, Photo Clam PC-40NS Ball head, 580 EX II Flash

wouter88
337 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 18, 2009 00:25 |  #7

I think the composition of the last shot also. The tree leads the eye towards the horizon, which is great.
The first 2 are very good exposurewise, but i think the composition is just too busy.
In nr. 2, there seems to be a halo in the upper right corner.
But nonetheless, very nice images with the last one as a standout!
Thanks for sharing.

www.flickr.com/wouterv​andenheuvel (external link)

acpstunts
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 18, 2009 10:03 |  #8

Wow. Amazing shots

MrGreen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 18, 2009 11:16 |  #9

wouter88 wrote in post #8664111 (external link)
I think the composition of the last shot also. The tree leads the eye towards the horizon, which is great.
The first 2 are very good exposurewise, but i think the composition is just too busy.
In nr. 2, there seems to be a halo in the upper right corner.
But nonetheless, very nice images with the last one as a standout!
Thanks for sharing.

I agree about the busy composition, especially after viewing #2 for some time now. I really should have done something more to show better depth, and contrast the rocks better.

Yeah, I forgot about fixing that halo, so thanks for the reminder. I had to shift over the sky in one layer to fix the moving clouds, so that caused a few issues with my mask. I'll have to go back and paint that out.

Thanks for the comments.

acpstunts wrote in post #8665690 (external link)
Wow. Amazing shots

Thank you.

ihs
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Sep 18, 2009 14:16 as a reply to  @ MrGreen's post |  #10

I love #4, and am a big fan of #3 as well. I like the bright/hazy color in #2; it makes me want to squint, just like I would if I were really looking at the sunset like that .

Very nice job on these, and thanks for sharing them with us.

CameraBuff
Goldmember
2,861 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 19, 2009 16:23 |  #11

That last shot does it for me. It has everything; great foreground interest, nice composition, excellent colors in the sky and clouds and nice reflection of the sun!

Sony A7r, Sony 16-35 f4, Canon 1d3, Canon 70-200 f4L, Sigma 150-600 contemporary, G1X, Lee filter holder and gnd's, Singh-Ray reverse gnd
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,285 views & 0 likes for this thread
Balanced Sunset
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.