Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 17 Sep 2009 (Thursday) 17:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Calling all wedding shooters..

Joe300
519 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 21, 2009 11:11 |  #46

Hello to all,
is anyone out there shooting with a 40d / 50d and a 35L or 24L...
how is that combo with the 1.6 crop factor for weddings.
is the 24-70L a good solution.? if not using primes.
thanks,
Joe

A lot of Canon gear=300D & 1Dmkiii, Lens and some studio gear,
WL x1600 etc.
Two Bronica SQ-Ai outfit too! 'Old School'
www.joelaroccaphotogra​phy.com (external link)

sponsored links
MR ­ do ­ little
Goldmember
2,399 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 21, 2009 11:34 |  #47
bannedPermanent ban

LOL no doubt Guy. :-)

Regards
Paul L.

bluefox9er
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,706 posts
Joined Jun 2007
Location: UK,don't move ehre,it rains a lot, it's incredibly violent and the women pee standing up..

Sep 21, 2009 15:40 |  #48

radiohead wrote in post #8681659 (external link)
No he doesn't.

He uses: 24/1.4II, 35/1.4, 50/1.2, 85/1.2 and 16-35/2.8 and 70-200/4.

He typically uses a 16-35/2.8 over the shorter primes in summer months and good light.

he uses the 24 mm and 50 mm for 80% of his shots and alonger prime for anything else/35mm according to his article on the cpn site. but between me and you I wouldn't poke his eyes out for using a zoom.

http://www.flickr.com …s/sets/72157602​470636767/ (external link)
http://www.flickr.com …ctions/72157604​292148339/ (external link)
Canon EOS 1d mk III, Canon EOS 5d,Canon EOS 400d, 24-70 mm F2.8 L, ef 24-105 F4 L IS, ef 17-40 mm F4 L, 70-200 mm f2.8 IS L, 100-400 mm IS L, 50mmm f1.8, 85mmf1.8mm, ef 35 mm f1.4L, ef 135 mm f2 L,Canon Powershot G9, Epson p400-, hyperdrive space 120gb

GMCPhotographics
Goldmember
2,425 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 05, 2009 13:43 |  #49

Hi Guy, welcome back bud. I thought that you'd been unusually quiet of late. I just assumed that you'd gotten fed up with us Canon die-hards ;-)a

Picking up on the OP's thread, I would use a 5DII with a 24-70L....it's just so versatile. The other camera would be my long lens of choice, either a 85IIL or a 135L depending on the gig size.

I love Jeff's work, but like many pros, he's gear is contantly changing and evolving. I've seen photographs from Jeff using 24IIL, 35L, 50L, 85L and 135L ..all with his unique look. I've also seen 16-35IIL too, so I'm sure that by next season he'll be touting yet another variation on his gear.
I just hope that other photographers aren't influenced by his gear choice too much and find their own approach and route. It'll be a shame that every photographer wants to look the same and use the same stuff. There's a bigger creative world out there...

Another great wedding Photographer to look out for is George Weir. A very tallented NY wedding photographer, who's also and available light photographer and puts out fantastic work. I think he does seminars with Jeff sometimes too.

Regards, Gareth Cooper GMCPhotographics
"If youre happy and honest and fulfilled in what you do, then youҒre having a successful life" (Ben Elton)
Gear List GMCPhotographics (external link)

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 05, 2009 14:27 |  #50

Two primes only?

No thanks, I wouldn't shoot it.

I shot 28/50/135 for years, but now fully embrace the new zooms and primes as it opens the door for so many different perspectives, concepts, and ideas. When I see weddings shot with a couple of primes, it looks boring after a while because they're all shot in two or three perspectives and they all have the same kind of look.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

prinspaul
475 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 05, 2009 14:57 |  #51

^^+1

I wouldn't shoot with two primes either. Therefore my choice would be
5D + 24/70
1D3 + 70/200

TheHoff
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 05, 2009 15:05 |  #52

picturecrazy wrote in post #8765465 (external link)
it looks boring after a while because they're all shot in two or three perspectives and they all have the same kind of look.

Hiya Lloyd. To me that is called 'a style'. Maybe you just look at too many wedding photos overall. To a more casual viewer having a photographer with a noticeable style, whether that is through a minimal selection of focal lengths or whatever, is a probably a good thing.

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer  (external link)••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image loss (external link)

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 05, 2009 15:30 |  #53

TheHoff wrote in post #8765685 (external link)
Hiya Lloyd. To me that is called 'a style'. Maybe you just look at too many wedding photos overall. To a more casual viewer having a photographer with a noticeable style, whether that is through a minimal selection of focal lengths or whatever, is a probably a good thing.

well, to each their own. Variety is the spice of life, so they say. I'm of the opinion that it translates into art as well. People get bored easily, but I have trouble imagining someone complaining about having all kinds of different perspectives and points of view, making them wonder with anticipation what kind of shot is next. Not saying you can't be a superstar shooting only with an 85 all day, but as someone who gets bored quickly looking at a set of 500 wedding photos (i.e. many people) I know I would be much more interested if there was some more variety in there.

It's easy to display a set of 40 rockin' 35mm/85mm images from one wedding, but increase that image count to 500, and to me, it doesn't seem as rockin' any more.

Same with all other photographic attributes. Looking at 500 shots taken at F/1.2 with mad blurring gets boring. 500 shots of low ambient/strong flash shots gets boring. 500 shots at F/8 gets boring. 500 shots taken at eye level gets boring. And focal length/perspective is one of attributes that gives the most obvious and dramatic uniqueness to a set of photos.

Just a simple opinion... ymmv

-Lloyd
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

Marloon
Goldmember
4,323 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 05, 2009 15:34 |  #54

Joe300 wrote in post #8682077 (external link)
Hello to all,
is anyone out there shooting with a 40d / 50d and a 35L or 24L...
how is that combo with the 1.6 crop factor for weddings.
is the 24-70L a good solution.? if not using primes.
thanks,
Joe

i used the 35L + 40D combination before selling off my 40D. It was a good combo! but id much prefer a 24L on a 40D.

I'm MARLON

Former Canon Platinum CPS member

5DII • 24L • 35L • 50L • 85L • 135L • 200LIS

Wordpress Blog (external link)Youtube Channel (external link)Twitter (external link)Gear List (external link)

alt4852
Goldmember
3,419 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 05, 2009 15:37 |  #55

iqbal624 wrote in post #8663740 (external link)
35+5d2
85+1d3

+1 on this one.

5D4 | Z21 | 35L2 | 50L | 85L2 | 135L

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,833 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Oct 05, 2009 15:43 |  #56

picturecrazy wrote in post #8765856 (external link)
Same with all other photographic attributes. Looking at 500 shots taken at F/1.2 with mad blurring gets boring. 500 shots of low ambient/strong flash shots gets boring. 500 shots at F/8 gets boring. 500 shots taken at eye level gets boring. And focal length/perspective is one of attributes that gives the most obvious and dramatic uniqueness to a set of photos.

I think looking at 500 pictures of anything will get boring. Not sure a zoom lens will remedy that.

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 05, 2009 15:45 |  #57

timnosenzo wrote in post #8765926 (external link)
I think looking at 500 pictures of anything will get boring. Not sure a zoom lens will remedy that.

You see? My point exactly. That is the reality of wedding shooting. You have to do everything in your power to make it interesting to look at for the clients.

-Lloyd

TheHoff
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 05, 2009 15:47 |  #58

picturecrazy wrote in post #8765945 (external link)
You see? My point exactly. That is the reality of wedding shooting. You have to do everything in your power to make it interesting to look at for the clients.

Maybe 500 is just too much for any person to take in? Maybe a tighter edit is needed? Unless of course the wedding is East Indian...

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer  (external link)••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image loss (external link)

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 05, 2009 15:50 |  #59

TheHoff wrote in post #8765954 (external link)
Maybe 500 is just too much for any person to take in? Maybe a tighter edit is needed? Unless of course the wedding is East Indian...

Shoot 14 hours and you'll likely end up around the 500 mark. Even more if it is an asian wedding. Some people deliver 2000. Holy moly.

-Lloyd

Marloon
Goldmember
4,323 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 05, 2009 15:54 |  #60

picturecrazy wrote in post #8765977 (external link)
Shoot 14 hours and you'll likely end up around the 500 mark. Even more if it is an asian wedding. Some people deliver 2000. Holy moly.

2000 photos?! Trigger happy run and gunners?! lol

2000 is too much... thats definitely overwhelming.

I'm MARLON

Former Canon Platinum CPS member

5DII • 24L • 35L • 50L • 85L • 135L • 200LIS

Wordpress Blog (external link)Youtube Channel (external link)Twitter (external link)Gear List (external link)

sponsored links

6,730 views & 0 likes for this thread
Calling all wedding shooters..
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.