Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 18 Sep 2009 (Friday) 14:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Ka'anapali Beach Sunset

petriej
83 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 18, 2009 14:46 |  #1

Hello,
I'm quite new to the forum, but learning lot. Here is an older shot from Ka'anapali Beach with my P&S SD1000. I've tuned it up a little bit, but would like some C&C.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i254.photobucke​t.com …waii2007570Pann​ed1024.jpg (external link)

Larger format:

http://i254.photobucke​t.com …0/Hawaii2007570​Panned.jpg (external link)

I need a panoramic B&W, and I really want to convert this to B&W but everything I've tried yields a lifeless result.

Thank you in advance,

J

Canon 5DMK4 | Canon EOS Rebel T1i | Canon ELF SD1000 | Canon 70-200 F2.8 II | Canon EF 50mm 1:4 | Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS | Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS | 580EXII | Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 | Manfrotto 488RC4 | PW MiniTT1 | PW FlexTT5 | Black Rapid Sport

sponsored links
Robert_Lay
Cream of the Crop
7,546 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Sep 18, 2009 21:44 |  #2

The sun ball is just too large - it needs to be less overpowering, but how is that to be changed?
It is also too centered, vertically and horizontally.
The composition is suffering from all of that - so, changing to B & W is doomed before you start.

Bob
Quality of Light (external link), Photo Tool ver 2.0 (external link)
Canon Rebel XTi; EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-f/5.6 USM; EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-f/5.6; EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Canon Powershot G5; Canon AE1(2); Leica R4s; Battery Grip BG-E3; Pentax Digital Spotmeter with Zone VI Mod & Calibration.

petriej
THREAD ­ STARTER
83 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 22, 2009 08:52 |  #3

Would it help if I re-cropped with focus on the boat?

Canon 5DMK4 | Canon EOS Rebel T1i | Canon ELF SD1000 | Canon 70-200 F2.8 II | Canon EF 50mm 1:4 | Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS | Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS | 580EXII | Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 | Manfrotto 488RC4 | PW MiniTT1 | PW FlexTT5 | Black Rapid Sport

CosmoKid
Goldmember
4,235 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 22, 2009 10:18 |  #4

problem is the boat is underexposed, so to focus on something that is too dark is pointless.

sunsets are difficult without the proper equipment. dont be hard on yourself over it.

you need some combination of the proper filters and processing to get it truly right.

Joe- 2 bodies, L 2.8 zoom trilogy and a couple of primes
iRocktheShot.com (external link) - Portfolio (external link)

Gear/Feedback
Facebook "Fan" Page (external link) -

petriej
THREAD ­ STARTER
83 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 22, 2009 13:07 |  #5

What kind of filters would you recommend starting off with? I have a TriStar Optics C-PL and a UV filter that I bought with my new T1i, but have not been able to get out and grab any good sunsets. How can I get the right exposure on the subjects, but maintain good colors with the rest of the sunset?

Thank you,

J

Litespeed
827 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 22, 2009 13:40 |  #6

Walked that beach a few years ago, it sure is pretty. I hope I get to go back soon.

Canon Rebel T1i, 18-55, 55-250, EF-S 10-22, Canon 100 mm F2.8 macro, Manfrotto tripod & monopod, Canon 100-400mm, Lightroom 4, Canon 7D, Canon EF 28-135mm

Everything has beauty but not everyone sees it...Confucius

harleyrider
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 22, 2009 14:01 |  #7

i like the shot sometimes rules are to be broke the boat is not center.i gess it works for me.i think that is a hard shot shooting in to the sun like that.

Robert_Lay
Cream of the Crop
7,546 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Sep 22, 2009 14:14 |  #8

You can't just go out at the time of sunset and get a good sunset shot. You have to wait until the sun and weather cooperate to give you an acceptable range of colors and tonality.

Generally speaking, it is best not to even look for a sunset until the upper limb of the sun is in its last minute or so - then you will have a smaller range of brightnesses to deal with. Even then, most of your other elements are going to be silhouettes. That is why you should look for silhouettes that stick out above the horizon and reflections that are created in the water.

Bob
Canon Rebel XTi; EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-f/5.6 USM; EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-f/5.6; EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Canon Powershot G5; Canon AE1(2); Leica R4s; Battery Grip BG-E3; Pentax Digital Spotmeter with Zone VI Mod & Calibration.

petriej
THREAD ­ STARTER
83 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 22, 2009 15:29 |  #9

Robert_Lay wrote in post #8689693 (external link)
You can't just go out at the time of sunset and get a good sunset shot. You have to wait until the sun and weather cooperate to give you an acceptable range of colors and tonality.

Generally speaking, it is best not to even look for a sunset until the upper limb of the sun is in its last minute or so - then you will have a smaller range of brightnesses to deal with. Even then, most of your other elements are going to be silhouettes. That is why you should look for silhouettes that stick out above the horizon and reflections that are created in the water.

Mr. Lay, thank you for you advice. I've a couple of other shots on the following thread:

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=756299

#1, and #3 were taken after the sun had disappeared below the horizon. Although both still need work, is the composition better, or is it still somewhat of a loss due to the appearance of the boat as an insignificant detail in the overall picture? Does it turn into a distraction?

Thank you,

J

CosmoKid
Goldmember
4,235 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 22, 2009 15:37 |  #10

I dont shoot sunsets but from what I know....use a neutral density filter. an ND filter will allow you to use a longer exposure which will cut down on some of the light from the sun but the longer exposure will allow you to expose the water and boats a bit better. it should also color up the sky a little bluer.

also, once the sun drops a bit more, spot meter for the sky to the right of the sun. Evaluative will meter based mostly on the sun and take the other areas into account as well. spot meter for the sky and you should get a better exposure.

in terms of B&W, I would personally not do a sunset in B&W. not saying it can't/shouldnt be done but a good sunset picture will give you some great colors.

Joe- 2 bodies, L 2.8 zoom trilogy and a couple of primes
iRocktheShot.com (external link) - Portfolio (external link)

Gear/Feedback
Facebook "Fan" Page (external link) -

Robert_Lay
Cream of the Crop
7,546 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Sep 22, 2009 21:41 |  #11

petriej wrote in post #8690220 (external link)
Mr. Lay, thank you for you advice. I've a couple of other shots on the following thread:

Looked at your referenced shots, and my suggestion would be to use either ---7285m.jpg or ---7588m.jpg.

Bob

sponsored links

1,439 views & 0 likes for this thread
Ka'anapali Beach Sunset
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.