Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 19 Sep 2009 (Saturday) 01:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Weather sealing - quality?

fr0natz
216 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 19, 2009 01:07 |  #1

Im wondering how trustworthy and durable the weather sealing is on most bodies. Ive got a 40D and not too sure when to go in once the weather gets bad. Do I leave when it sprinkles? Am I okay if it it gets snowed on some?

Also curious about the L lenses such as my 70-200 F4. Im assuming this is better done compared to my crop body, but Id rather not risk it.

Please and thanks.

40D, XT
Promaster (tamron) 17-50F2.8
Canon 70-200F4 L, 50 f1.8 nifty
430ex

sponsored links
gopack471
231 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 19, 2009 01:39 |  #2

If you look through the forums enough you'll find a picture from KenjiS with his 30d and lens covered in snow. I wouldn't go that far or shoot in a downpour, but a few drops of water is probably not going to damage your camera.

I don't have the 70-200/4, but on the mount you should see a rubber seal. That provides some weather sealing at the body mount which is always a good thing.

Tom - Zenfolio (external link)
Canon: 7D|17-55/2.8|50/1.4|85/1.8|2​8-135|430exII
Sigma: 70-200/2.8
Olympus: EPL1 & 14-42

spamster
914 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 19, 2009 01:43 |  #3

Yeah the weather sealing is pretty impressive.

Gear List

mikeassk
Goldmember
2,329 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 19, 2009 01:46 |  #4

I feel uncomfortable shooting any Canon non-1Series in rain or other wise bad weather, that is enough for me to do something about it. A coat sleeve or plastic bag is efficient enough for a short session.

Stuff

Jim ­ G
I feel thoroughly satisfied
12,254 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Sep 19, 2009 01:59 |  #5

My 1D has been out in pouring rain with no protection and is still here a year later. My 24-70L has been out in thunderstorms with no protection (20D body bagged up) repeatedly in some of the biggest storms we've had in the last century and it's still here 2 years later.

I'm pretty confident with them... not something I'd make a habit of though!

Gear Listhttp://www.codastudios​.com.au (external link) Reviews & Hotlinks: Domke F-3x - Pelican 1510/1514 (external link) & 1610/1614 (external link) - DIY Variable Length OC-E3 - Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home (external link) - FA-100 (external link)

tfd888
Goldmember
1,816 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 19, 2009 02:05 as a reply to  @ mikeassk's post |  #6

70-200 f4 non IS is not weather sealed (only the IS versions of the 70-200 are weather sealed) so I am not so sure how comfortable I would be shooting a 40D and that lens in light or heavy rain but I wouldn't run from a few little sprinkles or a very light snow as long as you just keep blowing the flakes off before they melt.

If you are looking for weather sealing, look at the 1D-series of cameras. They are the ones that will withstand the harsher elements as long as you pair them with weather resistant lenses. Even when the 1D-series are paired with weather resistant lenses, they still aren't going to be water proof where you can submerge them or just pour a bucket of water over them. That's where rain sleeves come into play ;).

Alexander R.O.
1D-Mark III ~1D-Mark II ~ 60D ~ 20D (Gripped)
(70-200mm L 2.8 IS) ~ (17-40mm L 4.0) (Sigma 24-70mm 2.8 EX DG Macro RIP) ~ (50mm 1.8 MKII) ~ (Alpex 35mm f/2.8 M42 mount) ~ (430EX II) ~ (Yongnuo YN-560 III)
My Website (external link) - My Blog (external link)
- My Flickr (external link)

HankScorpio
Goldmember
2,700 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 19, 2009 09:09 |  #7

Weather sealing on any body except a 1 series or apparently the 7D (though that remains to be seen) isn't really up to anything but dust and a few spots of rain. If you get one really wet and it lives then it's luck rather design.

My collection of boxes with holes (external link)
EXIF semper intacta.
Gort! Klaatu barada nikto.

aroundlsu
Goldmember
1,430 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 19, 2009 09:12 |  #8

As said already, your lens is not weather sealed.

I have had my 1ds2 and 70-200 2.8 is in two heavy storms now and no problems to report.

Teddy Smith, SOC
IATSE Local 600 Cinematographer

20DNewbie
"don't listen to me, I'm an idiot"
2,732 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 19, 2009 09:16 |  #9

I really do enjoy the reaction of others when I give my 1's a bath.

Maybe my sister has been right about me being evil all along.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/jpeg'

Christian.

aroundlsu
Goldmember
1,430 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 19, 2009 09:18 |  #10

To add, I always enjoy the comments from people when i am shooting with little regard for rain. One guy last night mentioned he had a sealed camera at home (of course) but would never take it out in the rain. Then what's the point of buying one? If you don't trust the sealing then don't buy it. I would rather push the limits of the sealing now rather then later.

Another advantage, all my fashion shoots I put "we shoot rain or shine" on the call sheets. That's pretty cool not to have a rain out.

Teddy Smith, SOC
IATSE Local 600 Cinematographer

HankScorpio
Goldmember
2,700 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 19, 2009 09:21 |  #11

Motorsports look better in the rain. Actually most things look better when wet. I love not caring about rain (as long as I have my sealed lens on).

My collection of boxes with holes (external link)
EXIF semper intacta.
Gort! Klaatu barada nikto.

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,617 posts
Joined May 2004

Sep 19, 2009 10:46 |  #12

Im wondering how trustworthy and durable the weather sealing is on most bodies. Ive got a 40D and not too sure when to go in once the weather gets bad. Do I leave when it sprinkles? Am I okay if it it gets snowed on some?

They are not trustworthy, anecdotes to the contrary not withstanding. If they were trustworthy at any level, Canon would state some specification of that.

People have had them stand up to substantial wetting, and people have had cameras fail under light moisture conditions. Such variability is the very definition of "untrustworthy."

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

MichaelBernard
Goldmember
3,586 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 19, 2009 10:51 |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

I got soaked on 9/11..the water on my lens was more of an irritation than the water on my camera body. The 1ds shrugged it off and kept on shooting..wiping the lens down every few clicks got annoying though.

http://www.Michael-Bernard.com (external link)"I think that there will be people disappointed in any camera short of the one that summons the ghost of Ansel Adams to come and press the shutter button for them." -lazer-jock

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 19, 2009 12:10 |  #14

The 7D has the same quality weather sealing the EOS-1n and EOS-3 had which is very good sealing.

MichaelBernard
Goldmember
3,586 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 19, 2009 12:15 |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

HappySnapper90 wrote in post #8671529 (external link)
The 7D has the same quality weather sealing the EOS-1n and EOS-3 had which is very good sealing.

Yea.....I actually hear it's not as good as the EOS-1v/d series though. Don't want folks getting happy thinking they have 1d quality weather sealing...cause they won't. It has about the same weather sealing as the 5dII which is good but still questionable from copy to copy.

http://www.Michael-Bernard.com (external link)"I think that there will be people disappointed in any camera short of the one that summons the ghost of Ansel Adams to come and press the shutter button for them." -lazer-jock

sponsored links

4,664 views & 0 likes for this thread
Weather sealing - quality?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.