Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 19 Sep 2009 (Saturday) 07:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D2 : sharper on AF One shot !?!

cherrymoon
533 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 19, 2009 07:54 |  #1

Here is my problem :

All of my shots with 5D2 are out of focus. My recent 85L show me monstruous front focus on my camera body (with microajustment at maximum +20). So I decided to send it back to Canon. My dealer would help me and ask me to let him all my equipment to do calibration himself. He noticed NO big front focus. The fact is that he use AF ONE SHOT and I usualy use AI SERVO (recommended with 85L).

But like him, with AF one shot my pics are clean, sharp and on focus where I want now for little tests I've done. I'm loosing AI SERVO 3,5fps but I have no focus issues.

Do you use AF One Shot or AI Servo ? I've read that their are no differences between the two. Is that behaviour normal ???

5D² 40 pancake | 50/1.4 | 85L II | 135L | 16-35L IS | 24-105L | 70-200 f2.8 L IS II and a TT bike
Complete Gear List

sponsored links
drdiesel1
Goldmember
4,043 posts
Gallery: 86 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 19, 2009 08:05 |  #2

cherrymoon wrote in post #8670550 (external link)
Here is my problem :

All of my shots with 5D2 are out of focus. My recent 85L show me monstruous front focus on my camera body (with microajustment at maximum +20). So I decided to send it back to Canon. My dealer would help me and ask me to let him all my equipment to do calibration himself. He noticed NO big front focus. The fact is that he use AF ONE SHOT and I usualy use AI SERVO (recommended with 85L).

But like him, with AF one shot my pics are clean, sharp and on focus where I want now for little tests I've done. I'm loosing AI SERVO 3,5fps but I have no focus issues.

Do you use AF One Shot or AI Servo ? I've read that their are no differences between the two. Is that behaviour normal ???

It`s different between the two modes. I use AI servo and center point focus. What focus point are you using. AI is a big help when tracking a moving object and when you taking multiple shots. One Shot is also good, but if the subject is moving, you might have problems. The biggest issue for me was using the correct focus point for each situation.
I wish the 5DMKII had a tracking system like my D700

Nikon D810 Nikon 50F/1.4G - Nikon 70-200F/2.8II
Canon 5DMKIII - Canon 24-105F/4L

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 19, 2009 08:12 |  #3

Ai Servo can be used on stationary subjects BUT not in the usual way you would use AIS, imo.

AIS is predicitve whch means it expects that if something is moving in a certain direction, relative to the camera, it will keep moving in the same direction.

If you are taking a picture of a person and they are changing pose/position/head angle and you are weaving back and forth, side to side, forward backward, the odds are you aren't going to get much in focus shooting wide open in AIS. You still need good technique.

Did you actually try and do a micro adjustment with the camera on AI Servo ? That sounds like it wouldn't work.

There is still the issue of what the camera actually focusses on. It does require making a decision, while in AIS. Sort of like manual focussing, without manual focussing, in terms of the decision process to, when, press the shutter.

With that said, I almost always have the 5D in AIS but lift off the AF when I think I nailed the focus. This for stationary subjects. For events, my camera is used in AIS, the way it was intended and works fine. I woud never get any shots in One Shot.

Under what shooting conditions are you getting OOF shots with the 85L ?

I notice all your other lenses are f4. They, generally will have sufficient DOF to mask poor technique. I had the same problem as you, when I got the 85/1.8 and started shooting tight head shots or head and shoulder shots. I didn;t realize that I actually swayed a bit, between focussing and tripping the shutter.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,833 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Sep 19, 2009 08:15 |  #4

I almost always use one shot. The only time I use servo is if I'm tracking a moving subject.

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

cherrymoon
THREAD ­ STARTER
533 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 19, 2009 08:28 |  #5

Thanks for helping me.

Using AI Servo, i'm always OOF ! On the beach, with bright sun, i'm OOF so i don't think it's due to low light. Of course f4 is easier not to have OOF because in focus area is wider but main of my shots are OOF this way if I zoom 100% with all other lenses !

I'm always using AF center point, AF one shot or AI Servo.

Before I always use AI Servo and micro ajustment done, I was at maximum value (+20) and still OOF

5D² 40 pancake | 50/1.4 | 85L II | 135L | 16-35L IS | 24-105L | 70-200 f2.8 L IS II and a TT bike
Complete Gear List

davebmck
189 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 19, 2009 08:32 as a reply to  @ timnosenzo's post |  #6

I shoot outdoors/wildlife mostly and I use AI Focus and have no focus problems. As stated above I also only use the center focus point. I like AI Focus rather than AI Servo. In AIF the camera works like One Shot until motion is detected. Then the camera switches to AIS. When AIS is selected, the camera is in servo mode constantly. That mode might work better for you, especially if you are mostly shooting static objects.

Canon 5D Mark II, 1D Mark IV
Canon 17-40mm f/4L, Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS,
Canon 100mm F2.8 USM Macro, Canon 50mm F1.8
Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS, Canon 500mm f/4L IS, Gitzo 3530LS Tripod, RRS BH-55 Ball Head
Canon 580EX II and 430EX Flash, Canon MR-14 EX Ring Flash

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 19, 2009 08:34 |  #7

Geneally everybody swears at AIF ;-)a so it's interesting to hear from somebody that has good success using AIF.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

drdiesel1
Goldmember
4,043 posts
Gallery: 86 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 19, 2009 08:41 |  #8

cherrymoon wrote in post #8670670 (external link)
Thanks for helping me.

Using AI Servo, i'm always OOF ! On the beach, with bright sun, i'm OOF so i don't think it's due to low light. Of course f4 is easier not to have OOF because in focus area is wider but main of my shots are OOF this way if I zoom 100% with all other lenses !

I'm always using AF center point, AF one shot or AI Servo.

Before I always use AI Servo and micro ajustment done, I was at maximum value (+20) and still OOF

You should reset the micro focus and experiment with one shot on a tripod before you adjust it +20. I have never heard of anyone having a lens out that far. You`re doing something wrong and it`s causing you trouble and your compounding your problems by having the lens micro focus setting maxed out.

Nikon D810 Nikon 50F/1.4G - Nikon 70-200F/2.8II
Canon 5DMKIII - Canon 24-105F/4L

aroundlsu
Goldmember
1,430 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 19, 2009 09:01 |  #9

I blame operator error. You should learn to focus lock before learning to servo focus. The 85l is a very difficult lens to get perfect focus with. I just used it last night on a major portrait shoot and a lot of good photos are just an inch or so OOF. But others are dead on. This is expected when shooting with razor thin DOF so I take more photos than I need. A lot more. So many things will push the 85l oof, it's mostly a game of chance. I can't imagine using it in servo mode. It is so slow compared to any of the real lenses designed for servo.

Sorry for the rambling... ;)

Teddy Smith, SOC
IATSE Local 600 Cinematographer

sponsored links

1,096 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D2 : sharper on AF One shot !?!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.