Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 19 Sep 2009 (Saturday) 12:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My Kodak Rant

Aweitzel
412 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 19, 2009 12:01 |  #1

I realize off the bat it isnt a pro printer.
However i expected alittle more out of it.
I bought a Kodak esp 7 to use exactly as they are advertised, Doc prints, and photo prints.
Ill admit When and if the few times the thing prints a photo it does a good job. But the headaches just arnt worth it.
Problem from day one, kodak had an update for it, however it would only up date threw usb, NOT Ethernet cable.I found that very strange.
The wireless almost never stays connected the few attempts ive made to try to.
Constant problems
It Jams ALL THE TIME. I go threw its instructions to unjam it, and always end up just unplugging it and plugging it back in.which works for some reason.
It misfires colors almost every print job, i run all 4 maintenance jobs, and still nothing.Turning on and off however does seem to work. sometimes.(By print job i mean more then 5 photos at a time, of 4by6s or even 8by11s)
It grabs 2 sheets of paper alot aswell. As a result i have to load 8by11 sheets one by one.
that combined with the colors not firing make me always have to watch each and every print.
The Maintenance jobs SUCK the ink up, after running them all it shows a 5% loss of color and black. Combine that with having to run them all atleast twice or up to four to fix it, the ink saving it states is lost.
many reviews states it loud, and i for one can say, its loud, and vibrates my desk. It really does sound likes it falling apart when you turn it on, or wake it.
Which is another problem, i have it set to "sleep" in a hour of no use. Yea thats a hit or miss. 15 mins its sleeping or all day its on.
yet another problem i have had off and on is it reading the inks out when i know its not. taking the ink off and putting back in normally solves this. it does this with new ink aswell.
Also i dont care what kodak said "all colors should run out around the same time." its just not true. For some reasons it seems it tends to like to drink yellow like water.
Im breaking open my normally frugal self pulling out an unused credit card and going shopping for a real photo printer. I have my eye on an Epson or of course canon. and a cheap printer for Docs. As for the kodak, its target pratice.

g9, 40d,28-135 kit, 55-250, 430EX, t-50( Yes its film.)
http://www.aweitzelpho​tography.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
rjc1
553 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 19, 2009 12:21 |  #2

I feel for you. I don't know what you paid for it. But I have learned a long time ago to buy the best you can afford. Because you get what you pay for. The low cost items are made with low coat materials and engineering,not made for the long haul. (I think all printer suck up the ink). Probably to late to return it.
(edit) I hope you feel better after the rant.

40D with 28-135 IS , Tamron 17-50 ,100-400 f4.5-5.6L, 100mm f2.8L macro IS, 430EX, 430EXll,MiniTT1/FlexTT​5 , Kata R-103,
Domke F2 shooters bag

CameraMan741
323 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 20, 2009 16:09 |  #3

wow, im glad i caught this. i seriously was about to buy this same exact printer in a couple of days. i currently have a canon printer i got from walmart 1.5 years ago for 50 bucks. it makes pretty decent prints, but it drinks the ink. i only get about 15 4x6 prints per cartridge. :(

what ever you decide to get, let us know, i need an idea too. thanks man, hope you feel better.

Gear
XTi, Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro, Nifty Fifty

Flick (external link)r

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 20, 2009 16:27 as a reply to  @ CameraMan741's post |  #4

What has Kodak said about all of these problems. According to their website:

"Kodak warrants Kodak consumer electronic products and accessories ("Products"), excluding batteries, to be free from malfunctions and defects in both materials and workmanship for one year from the date of purchase."

It sounds like they would make it right from reading the information that you can find on this page (external link)

I feel your frustration but these are manufactured goods and like most things it is possible to get a lemon. I would give them the option of replacing it.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

Aweitzel
THREAD ­ STARTER
412 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 21, 2009 12:15 |  #5

I bought a Epson 1400. For 199 with rebate i couldnt pass it up.
I understand i could have got a lemon straight from the box. However if you read alot of reviews on all the esp printers its 50/50 pros n cons.
I took it in twice to the place i bought it from i wont mention the name of the shop, but the buys there are said the be the best, and the squad that works on them are geeks.
Both times they called me back saying, "my weitzel your printer is working fine, we cant seem the find a problem with it."
They told me they ran all the test kodak suggests and cleaned (the first time) the print head as kodak suggests. the second time the changed the print head completely.
That was after i Told them too because "it worked fine for them"
That problem aside.
The rest of the problems just were not worth it to me. Having to watch every print to make sure it didnt grab to many pieces of paper (using kodak paper not 3rd party) got very frustrating.Or having to load it single piece by piece.
And turning it on, and getting a "Paper jam" when there was No paper in the printer sucked. "Pull tray out, press ok" BEEP, "push try in press ok" Beep...... paper jam. "pull try out,press ok. over n over. Unplug, plug in, hey every things ok.
The pros of course were cheap ink, and its VERY VERY easy to find ink for it, one reason i bought it was, i work graveyard. I get off work at 6am the local 24hr walmart was open, head there pick up ink and paper.
But watching the ink go on just test sheet after test sheet, and bad print after bad print sucked.
I got asked, "then why run all those tests?" Well for one, when someone asked me (or even paid me) for a print. I had print it, and those tests ran a few times seemed to work for awhile. Then it would all go bad again.
There probably is more i could to fix my rant and complaints about it, however for one i got the printer on sale for just over a hundred dollars. and with all the printers on the market at that price range, it just wasnt worth the headache of going threw it all.
Thank for you reading my rant.
Cameraman, well i cant suggest you buy this printer, only speaking from my frustration with it. Im only one person, keep reading the Reviews, and talk to a local stores repair shop to see if they get them in alot.
http://reviews.cnet.co​m …3342058.html?ta​g=mncol;uo (external link)
http://www.bestbuy.com …=product&id=121​8008945690 (external link)

g9, 40d,28-135 kit, 55-250, 430EX, t-50( Yes its film.)
http://www.aweitzelpho​tography.com/ (external link)

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,402 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 21, 2009 13:14 |  #6

I sometimes think the lower priced printers involve more complex engineering than the expensive printers. It takes talent to get them to fail the month after the warranty expires.:lol:

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

sponsored links

982 views & 0 likes for this thread
My Kodak Rant
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.