Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 20 Sep 2009 (Sunday) 00:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

9 1/2 hours of football T&I and a little action...

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 20, 2009 00:17 |  #1

Haven't posted in awhile, been busy since my appendix escaping from my gut and learning of other problems while doing an unpaid internship (non-photo related) along with everything else built up from baseball season still not done...but, got to dust off the gear and do a leagues T&I shoot which lasted so long because they were showing up early before their game to do it before weigh in. Yet, I only got to shoot about 30 mins of action and it wasn't great as it was the last game with sun setting quick.

Portraits - Mark IIn, 24-105 f/4, Alien Bee strobe with umbrella (set up two strobes originally but the batteries died - thinking they were new, guess not!). Under a canopy...see below....

Action - Mark III on AV and M a bit, light was all over the field with trees casting harsh shadows and then harsh light.

Edits: I did some different ones, on here some look OK and some look like they need improvement. Feel free to point out anything, you're not going to hurt feelings.

#1 - Got there at 9:30am after hearing the teams would be there around 10:15am - nope, when I pulled in a bunch were already there so set up in a strange spot similar to soccer season which yet again made it bright sun behind them....biggest problem though was every minute or two groups of people would randomly walk in the background so it took forever.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

#2 - After the first group I had a coach help me move the canopy down farther towards the trees so it'd be harder for people to walk in the background - it also connected the shadow cast by the canopy with the shadows of the trees with only some hot spots in the back. Oh yea, they get to choose a few different poses or do anything they want.
IMAGE NOT FOUND

#3 - I could point out a lot with this...just one of the goofy pics after the real one was taken. I definitely screwed up light, used the strobe for these to. We were stuck in the corner to do this as games were going on, people everywhere.
IMAGE NOT FOUND

#4 - Move of the canopy number...3...or 4? It got moved a lot moving with the sun as there was not one cloud in the sky all day. Sisters doing one of the poses together...
IMAGE NOT FOUND

#5 - Bro/sis combo...I thought I gave him a football for his empty hand, guess not.
IMAGE NOT FOUND

#6 - OK - she's always really easy to shoot. The light on HER left side is from the sun through the canopy wall which had to be zipped up as to not make them go blind and out of options to move the thing.
IMAGE NOT FOUND

#7 - Finally get to shoot some action when everyone is done and before packing up the gear. Unfortunately there wasn't much to shoot in the good light as half the field was in harsh light or dark shadows and the latter is where the ball stayed, usually at midfield.
IMAGE NOT FOUND

#8 - Good gain on the outside....not long before it was time to pack up the gear and ask myself if it's worth it to use the canopy - though it cuts on harsh light on the kids, squinting, etc. it can be a PITA if having to do it all day moving non-stop.
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Freelance Photographer & Co-founder of Four Seam Images
Mike Janes Photography (external link) - Four Seam Images LLC (external link)
FSI is a baseball oriented photo agency and official licensee of MiLB/MLB.
@FourSeamImages (instagram/twitter)
@MikeJanesPhotography (instagram)
@MikeJanesPhotog (twitter)

sponsored links
jrsulli369
60 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 20, 2009 01:35 |  #2

Mike all of your pics here are great, I am taking notes :) thanks for sharing.

JR

JR

DaveL
881 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 20, 2009 05:52 as a reply to  @ jrsulli369's post |  #3

I'm liking 1,5 and 6... I like the touch of the helmet and pom poms
on the ground. I'm shooting a brother and sister combo in the next
week or two and that will be a great idea.

Canon 5DSR, 5D MKIII, 6D, 1D Classic
Canon 300mm f/2.8L IS, 70-200 f/2.8L II, 85mm F/1.2L, 16-35L II,
Alien Bees B800 strobes, softboxes, pocket wizard X's
Gibson & Nash Guitars
Friedman Amps

Big ­ K
Goldmember
2,021 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 20, 2009 08:31 |  #4

Mike,

Sorry to hear of the appendix explosion. Hope you are back to good health now.

Shooting that time of day under trees is always a challenge and I hate it when the background gets turned into a walkway for everyone at the park. T&I day can really become a PITA.

I really like the use of the helmets and poms as props. Nice touch. Agree the boy needed a football instead of another helmet.

Name: Kevin
Follow my daily work at www.ks-images.com (external link) and feel free to C&C anything I post.
Gear List
More money than skill - but I'm working on it

Mike ­ R
Goldmember
4,319 posts
Joined May 2006

Sep 20, 2009 08:51 |  #5

Mike,
I hope you're feeling better.
I guess I have it pretty easy with the T&I that I shoot. A parent organizes the kids in the order of the prepaid envelopes they bring back, I then tell her the frame number and she writes it on the enveope. No one else is wandering aimlessly behind them. I may start to use your idea of a canopy since I have to shoot one team in the midday sun.

Mike R
www.mikerubinphoto.com (external link)

Tigershark
904 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 20, 2009 09:01 |  #6

Mike,

good job I really like the individual shots, are you just using one canopy and are you using anything for the teams? Do all you customers have prepay envelopes? I have found 50% of parents need change, haven't written the check etc so just curious how you handle that. Glad you are feeling better. My hell well is about to begin, I have done 36 teams in the last week and I have another 50-60 to go this week . I have been having great success with the lastoline lite panel, it has been great because every day the sun has been very harsh and a lot of the shoots have been late day

MJPhotos24
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 20, 2009 11:31 |  #7

jrsulli369 wrote in post #8674564 (external link)
Mike all of your pics here are great, I am taking notes :) thanks for sharing.

JR

Thanks JR

DaveL wrote in post #8675113 (external link)
I'm liking 1,5 and 6... I like the touch of the helmet and pom poms on the ground. I'm shooting a brother and sister combo in the next week or two and that will be a great idea.

Thanks - they were there for the cheerleaders mostly as the helmets were extras from the league to use. He came over to do one with his sis so just left them there. There's a lot of different ways to do a combo shot - she came in and told him how they were doing it so it was easy for that, but can do a ton of different options for a combo shot.

Big K wrote in post #8675444 (external link)
Mike,

Sorry to hear of the appendix explosion. Hope you are back to good health now.

Shooting that time of day under trees is always a challenge and I hate it when the background gets turned into a walkway for everyone at the park. T&I day can really become a PITA.

I really like the use of the helmets and poms as props. Nice touch. Agree the boy needed a football instead of another helmet.

Kevin, thanks - appendix is getting better though other things suck. Not a good experience, especially with no insurance! Goodbye FL money!

We scheduled this T&I for a non-game day last week and at first everyone liked the idea, until it was actually given a time/date and then some complained so we moved it to a game day which means 3x more people around to walk around back there. It can definitely be a PITA but usually is a good time as well since it's home town kids and all.

Mike R wrote in post #8675486 (external link)
Mike,
I hope you're feeling better.
I guess I have it pretty easy with the T&I that I shoot. A parent organizes the kids in the order of the prepaid envelopes they bring back, I then tell her the frame number and she writes it on the enveope. No one else is wandering aimlessly behind them. I may start to use your idea of a canopy since I have to shoot one team in the midday sun.

Thanks - I'd say I'm a bit less organized which I need to fix. Had no assistant again as it has not been easy to find a reliable one. The envelopes need to be re-organized when I get done and the kids record there name in the camera so it has that file with the photos. Photo wise they just choose what they want and come in and do it, for the cheerleaders and props I had them do it if they wanted pose 1 they go first, then pose 2, then 3, then if they wanted something different so did't have to keep changing back and forth.

The good thing about a canopy is it keeps the kids in line, literally. When they usually are running around they get in line easier with it to get there stuff done for some reason. Of course doesn't always work and depends if the coaches are helping and keeping them in line, which with this league is almost always - good coaches that help out.

Tigershark wrote in post #8675510 (external link)
Mike,

good job I really like the individual shots, are you just using one canopy and are you using anything for the teams? Do all you customers have prepay envelopes? I have found 50% of parents need change, haven't written the check etc so just curious how you handle that. Glad you are feeling better. My hell well is about to begin, I have done 36 teams in the last week and I have another 50-60 to go this week . I have been having great success with the lastoline lite panel, it has been great because every day the sun has been very harsh and a lot of the shoots have been late day

Thanks - yup, only one canopy - believe it's a 10x10 which works for this age group. There was one kid I had to put the corner up on a chair cuz he was too tall. They do have pre-pay envelopes at least a week before but a lot forget, I ran out of extra order forms by the end of the first team and cheerleaders. Only two parents needed change and there's a note on the order forms that if they overpay they'll get change back with the prints. I believe there's three that did that.

I have looked at the lite panels and may go to that in the future. It creates a lot less of a shadow but still blocks out the sun if using the right panels. The canopy has brown sides/roof which can be harsh. Do you have any results with it in harsh light? Would like to see the shadow differences.

Tigershark
904 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 20, 2009 11:54 as a reply to  @ MJPhotos24's post |  #8

All the shoots I have done with it have been in very harsh light and the white panel cuts the sun out, it lets plenty of light through just without any shadows, it is really amazing, I thought I might need a reflector but haven't needed one yet because I use a fill flash to make the kids pop and the backgrounds never look blown out or even a different color the light is the same . It is very easy to set up and move around and is a lot smaller than the canopies I have so transport is a lot easier. it is expensive I think it ran me around 400 but it folds up and sets up quicker than the canopies and lets a lot of natural light in which helps as well.

MJPhotos24
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 20, 2009 12:40 |  #9

Tigershark wrote in post #8676242 (external link)
All the shoots I have done with it have been in very harsh light and the white panel cuts the sun out, it lets plenty of light through just without any shadows, it is really amazing, I thought I might need a reflector but haven't needed one yet because I use a fill flash to make the kids pop and the backgrounds never look blown out or even a different color the light is the same . It is very easy to set up and move around and is a lot smaller than the canopies I have so transport is a lot easier. it is expensive I think it ran me around 400 but it folds up and sets up quicker than the canopies and lets a lot of natural light in which helps as well.

Wanna post some examples? :)

I looked at a few but all were at least double that price, guess I'm looking at the wrong ones!

jbhswim
594 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 20, 2009 13:54 |  #10

wow. the portraits are stunning!

1D Mark ii, Rebel XS,17-40mm f/4 L, 50mm f/1.4mk, 70-200mm f/4L
Flickr (external link)

Rebel XS / 1000d users, lets join forces.

Tigershark
904 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 20, 2009 14:14 |  #11

Mike,

Here is what i have,
http://www.adorama.com …hinfo=litepanel​+photoflex (external link)
I will post some pictures as soon as I get done printing

MJPhotos24
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 20, 2009 22:39 |  #12

jbhswim wrote in post #8676751 (external link)
wow. the portraits are stunning!

Thanks

Tigershark wrote in post #8676846 (external link)
Mike,

Here is what i have,
http://www.adorama.com …hinfo=litepanel​+photoflex (external link)
I will post some pictures as soon as I get done printing

That's similar to what I looked at, maybe the same thing...and sounds good, looking forward to seeing some.

sponsored links

2,708 views & 0 likes for this thread
9 1/2 hours of football T&I and a little action...
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.