Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 22 Sep 2009 (Tuesday) 13:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

C&C Please

petriej
83 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 22, 2009 13:24 |  #1

Hello all,
I am going through my collection and trying to find a photo that I can print and frame in a larger format for a gift for my wife. The following are some pictures that I have and like, but I would like some direction on what I can do to make them better and worthy of hanging on the wall.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i254.photobucke​t.com …SD1000/Hawaii20​07582m.jpg (external link)

http://i254.photobucke​t.com …SD1000/Hawaii20​07285m.jpg (external link)

http://i254.photobucke​t.com …D1000/Hawaii200​7588sm.jpg (external link)

Thank you all for your time.

Canon 5DMK4 | Canon EOS Rebel T1i | Canon ELF SD1000 | Canon 70-200 F2.8 II | Canon EF 50mm 1:4 | Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS | Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS | 580EXII | Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 | Manfrotto 488RC4 | PW MiniTT1 | PW FlexTT5 | Black Rapid Sport

sponsored links
Litespeed
827 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 22, 2009 13:37 |  #2

I like the second one the best -- nice shot.

Canon Rebel T1i, 18-55, 55-250, EF-S 10-22, Canon 100 mm F2.8 macro, Manfrotto tripod & monopod, Canon 100-400mm, Lightroom 4, Canon 7D, Canon EF 28-135mm

Everything has beauty but not everyone sees it...Confucius

e02937
Goldmember
2,714 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 22, 2009 13:39 |  #3

I liked 1 the best except for the hand on the tree.

Canon 7d
[15-85 IS] [70-200
f/4L IS] [I'm a PC]
[Full gear list and feedback]

Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 22, 2009 15:44 as a reply to  @ e02937's post |  #4

Do you have more?:D

The horizons are all crooked. I find that there are too many darks, or too much foreground.

First one, crop out the foreground, and the people.

you're a great friend, but if Zombies chase us, I am tripping you.

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,239 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 22, 2009 20:48 |  #5

To be honest I don't see anything here I would print ... take a deep breath and smile!

crashthenet44
514 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 22, 2009 21:22 as a reply to  @ jetcode's post |  #6

Only one even semi works is the 3rd. Even then either some of the sky or water needs to be cropped.

#1 is kind of a mess with the tilted horizon, the tree with some guy leaning on it and the people with their heads poking up. You can crop all of that out, but then you're left with basically the 3rd shot.

#2 could have been nice where it not for the tree that dominates the left side of the frame. Nothing you can really do with this short of doing a re-shoot.

Sorry man. You have anything else in the collection?

FLICKR (external link)
http://blogspot.vision​sfromphilly.com (external link)

50D | OM-2n | OM-4T | Hasselblad 500C/M | Yashica GSN | Yashica A | NO2. Brownie Model F

GorgeShooter
Goldmember
1,422 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 23, 2009 10:24 |  #7

The hand in the first one kills it. That's the first thing I saw.

1DX | 5D MkII (gripped)
16-35 f/2.8L | 24-70 f/2.8L | 24-105 f/4L IS | 70-200 f/4L IS | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS | 24 f/3.5L TS-E | 45 f/2.8 TS-E | 40 f/2.8 Pancake | 15 f/2.8 Fisheye | Tokina 100 f/2.8 Macro | Canon 1.4x TC | 580 EX II | 430 EX II | Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 | Kirk BH-1
:: Smugmug :: (external link) | :: Photography BLOG :: (external link) | :: Workshops and Classes (external link) ::

lexart
21 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 23, 2009 16:23 |  #8

1. kill off the flash for the first image...
2. too much weight on the right for the second image... framing not balanced... and little space for the sun to be appreciated.
3. Better... but the boat is too far right... maybe if the boat was a little bit closer... and you got down lower. PLUS missed the sun. I like the third image among the three... Use a lower ISO value so it wouldn't produce noise... and adjust your horizon because its at the dead center.

GEAR: Canon 500D; LENS 18-55mm, 10-20mm, and 70-300mm
http://lexart.multiply​.com (external link)

aroundlsu
Goldmember
1,430 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 23, 2009 16:31 as a reply to  @ lexart's post |  #9

Hand in the first image, why did you use a flash? Were you trying to get the plants? They are not very interesting. The sky and ocean are much more interesting. Next time turn the flash off and be aware of what is on the edge of frame. Also use a tripod or put the camera on something stable, switch it to manual mode, and dial in a longer exposure around F11.

Teddy Smith, SOC
IATSE Local 600 Cinematographer

petriej
THREAD ­ STARTER
83 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 24, 2009 16:01 |  #10

lexart wrote in post #8697271 (external link)
1. kill off the flash for the first image...
2. too much weight on the right for the second image... framing not balanced... and little space for the sun to be appreciated.
3. Better... but the boat is too far right... maybe if the boat was a little bit closer... and you got down lower. PLUS missed the sun. I like the third image among the three... Use a lower ISO value so it wouldn't produce noise... and adjust your horizon because its at the dead center.

Thank you for the C&C.

aroundlsu wrote in post #8697312 (external link)
Hand in the first image, why did you use a flash? Were you trying to get the plants? They are not very interesting. The sky and ocean are much more interesting. Next time turn the flash off and be aware of what is on the edge of frame. Also use a tripod or put the camera on something stable, switch it to manual mode, and dial in a longer exposure around F11.

I guess I must've still had the flash on from thie picture

http://i254.photobucke​t.com …SD1000/Hawaii20​07581m.jpg (external link)

The people in the background create too much distraction for me to look at enlarging.

My next purchase is going to be a tripod. Maybe a travel angel and eventually a Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 with a nice ball head.

Please keep the C&C coming. It's much appreciated.

Thanks again...

Canon 5DMK4 | Canon EOS Rebel T1i | Canon ELF SD1000 | Canon 70-200 F2.8 II | Canon EF 50mm 1:4 | Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS | Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS | 580EXII | Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 | Manfrotto 488RC4 | PW MiniTT1 | PW FlexTT5 | Black Rapid Sport

sponsored links

1,360 views & 0 likes for this thread
C&C Please
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.