Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 23 Sep 2009 (Wednesday) 20:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

550ex and 430ex II or other options? please help

RyanQ
456 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 23, 2009 20:12 |  #1

Hi, I don't have much experience in photography especially flash photography.

I have now a canon 430EX II and would like to explore some off camera flash. I do have 50D and thinking if I should get 550EX as a master. I'd like to do some portraits with it mostly along with 28-75mm. (I can get 550EX for ~$250)

I'm not sure how much more info you need to help me out but should I go for 550EX or wait for a little bit for 580/580EX II?

Another option I can also see is another 430EX II and buy some cheap flash triggers like cactus/CTR-301P. (I'd like to keep it simple so i picked these 2 for transmitter/receiver with no additional cords/cables)

I've done some research between 430EX II and 550EX but not did not find what I'm looking for. Will I be somewhat downgrading if I get 550EX?

Please help. Thanks in advance.

sponsored links
Muskydave22
Goldmember
1,716 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 23, 2009 20:18 |  #2

are you looking to retain ETTL?

dave

Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

RyanQ
THREAD ­ STARTER
456 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 23, 2009 20:28 |  #3

I'm not sure how much ETTL help me but I like what my 430EX II does. I'm mostly (almost always) on automatic mode with the zoom and ETTL on my 430EXII. Haven't done so much manual yet, ds I guess I'd like to retain ETTL as much as possible.

And also I got the 50D for FPS rate so I may have to use continous High Speed Continuous mode for kids once in a while (but not often) and I'm not sure how much difference recycle time in real life.

Muskydave22
Goldmember
1,716 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 23, 2009 20:33 as a reply to  @ RyanQ's post |  #4

well there are there are a couple options here.

1.) purchase a master flash and use that on camera to trigger off camera ( you need 550, 580, 580exII in order to control the 430exII)~ $225-350

2.) purchase radio poppers or new pocketwizards, very expensive though~$ a lot but might be worth it for you

3.) use long ettl cord from camera to 430exII to control the 430exII off camera.~ $50 for 25ft cable

dave

Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

RyanQ
THREAD ­ STARTER
456 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 23, 2009 20:39 |  #5

Thanks dave.

1 -- it's my first option but don't exactly know If it's worth going for 580EX II for +100
2 -- I like the pocketwizard mini and flex for ~$400, I'll ended up with just 1 flash ( and only have $280 right now)
3 -- I'd like it to be wireless

Thanks again

Muskydave22
Goldmember
1,716 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 23, 2009 20:50 as a reply to  @ RyanQ's post |  #6

your welcome

dave

Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,401 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 23, 2009 22:31 |  #7

Buy a meter and learn manual flash.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

MACza
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 23, 2009 23:28 |  #8

The 580EX II and the 430EX II really like each other very much. I use the 580EX II on my
1d Mark III as a master and the 430 on a tripod with umbrella as a slave. ETTL and I use the power ratio controlled by the 580 to equalize the amount of light between the flashes for no shadows and a nice illumination. Great arrangement for portraits, brides and even formal group shots.

MACza "walking around with my Mark III looking down to the Nikon guys..." :rolleyes:
EOS 1d MKIII-XT-20D-40D-24-105 ISL-70-200IS 2.8L

RyanQ
THREAD ­ STARTER
456 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 24, 2009 00:39 |  #9

Thanks guys. I will wait a little longer and read more see what I really want/need. And I do definitely need to learn manual flash.

sponsored links

2,149 views & 0 likes for this thread
550ex and 430ex II or other options? please help
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.