Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 26 Sep 2009 (Saturday) 14:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lightroom 2.5 - Memory Issues

BigBlueDodge
Goldmember
3,726 posts
Joined May 2005

Sep 26, 2009 14:16 |  #1

Well, after about a week of using it, I uninstalled Lightroom 2.5 and went back to 2.4. It appears that the memory leak that was around in the 2.2 days somehow made it's way back in. Literally, using Lightroom 2.5 would slowly consume ALL of my RAM (about 3GB of 4GB total). It gets to the point where it's so slow that I have to restart Lightroom periodically. I did not have these problems with Lightroom 2.4.

Is anyone else seeing issues with Lightroom 2.5?

David (aka BigBlueDodge)
Gear

sponsored links
Victoria ­ Bampton
Goldmember
1,367 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 26, 2009 14:35 |  #2

OS? I haven't heard any other complaints.

Victoria :D
Lightroom Queen website (external link)
Free & Comprehensive Lightroom Books (external link)
Free List of Lightroom Keyboard Shortcuts (external link)

HippieMagic
38 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 26, 2009 14:37 |  #3

I haven't done anything extensively in it but I was using it on some picture files for around 2 hours and never had a memory issue. I am on Vista 64 bit.

HankScorpio
Goldmember
2,700 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 26, 2009 15:07 |  #4

No issues here with Vista 64 ans 12GB of RAM while using it for extended periods along side PS.

My collection of boxes with holes (external link)
EXIF semper intacta.
Gort! Klaatu barada nikto.

dbharsh
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 26, 2009 20:55 |  #5

Yes, 3.5GB allotted to LR 2.5 while trying to import from another catalog (road trip). This has happened 2-for-2 attempts now.

Vista64 OS, 43k images in master catalog.

Only thing is that I don't have much to compare this behavior to - I hadn't done much "import from catalog" prior to this.

Mfotography
818 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Sep 26, 2009 21:51 |  #6

i did the 2.5 upgrade last week and poof the next day i did not have enough memory. I did not come across this with 2.2 ever so i was confused. I had around 4000 images still in LR so i figured id just delete a bunch out of LR cleaned cache and restarted and have not had the issue since. I did have a handful off 300MB panoramic tiff files in it i was working on for an art gallery that had to be 4x28 foot prints i figured maybe that was it but guess not. the issue occurred while exporting 189 images at the same time.

1DX/ 1D4/ 6D/ 5D2/ Bunch of L's and Sigma's Fashion / Event Shooter
http://www.edgetechcor​p.com/ (external link)

BigBlueDodge
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,726 posts
Joined May 2005

Sep 27, 2009 15:07 |  #7

I'm running Vista 64 bit with 4GB of RAM, and my catalog has roughly 30K images in it. I noticed the problem when I was doing exports on a theater show I shot. I don't know if the problem is related to import/export or not, that is just when I noticed it. I was exporting in the background and editing images while the export was going. This was a recipe for disaster as I had to keep restarting Lightroom.

David (aka BigBlueDodge)
Gear

BigBlueDodge
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,726 posts
Joined May 2005

Oct 01, 2009 12:07 |  #8

Anyone else seeing these issues?

David (aka BigBlueDodge)
Gear

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 01, 2009 15:31 |  #9

Don't have any catalogs with more than 15k, but no issues there. Try re-optimizing your catalog, it's probably huge right now

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

b00ty
473 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Oct 01, 2009 17:09 |  #10

Havent had any issues myself. 4gb of ram on windows 7 64bit, with about 15k images in library.

-Phil McGuire
[Canon 5D Mark II & Grip][EF 24-70 f2.8 L][EF 70-200 f4 L]
[580 EX][430 EX][540 EZ][Vivitar 285HV]
[LIghtstands][Umbrella​s][CyberSync Triggers]

HankScorpio
Goldmember
2,700 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 03, 2009 06:52 |  #11

OK, I've had this now. I was just processing 5400 shots from a recent motorsport weekend and while importing, the memory usage steadily climbed until it filled all 12GB and then Lightroom crashed. I did it twice more until all images were imported then went back to a steady 140MB worth of usage.

Running an Intel i7 920 with 12GB RAM with Vista 64bit and Lightroom 64bit. Images are downloaded to the hard drive then auto imported into lightroom from the hard drive.

My collection of boxes with holes (external link)
EXIF semper intacta.
Gort! Klaatu barada nikto.

matrix311
529 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 06, 2009 16:46 |  #12

Hey OP i'm having the same issue you are. I'm on Vista 64bit with LR 2.5 and 4GB RAM. After using LR for an extended period of time it'll bog down and i'll lose my right click menu. I have to close LR and reopen for my menus to function again. It's annoying and i'm not sure of the problem.

Eric Schlaht - Phoenix Arizona Photographer
http://www.esimaging.n​et (external link) - http://esimaging.blogs​pot.com (external link) - http://www.facebook.co​m/esimaging (external link)
Canon 7D, 40D, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/4 IS, 85mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.8, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Kenko Tubes, White Lightning X800's, 430EX, Yongnuo YN-468 and Cybersync's.

TGrundvig
Goldmember
2,876 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 08, 2009 14:25 |  #13

BBD,

I'm running into the same thing when I have a lot of images open. The RAM usage just keeps climbing and climbing until it shuts down or even shuts the whole system down with a BSOD and the error reads "Memory_Management".

I did some research and found this... "If you don’t render the standard-sized or 1:1 previews then Lightroom is constantly trying to build them as you edit your images resulting in very slow performance."

Once you have all your images open in LR, select all the images and then go to Library, Previews, (select) Render 1:1 Previews. This will take some time depending on the number of images you have, but it will improve the workflow as you go through the images. From what I've gathered, if you don't do this then LR will constantly be attempting to build them over and over and I have noticed by PF usage go up until it crashes. However, when I perform this task I can go from image to image to image and the PF Usage stays much lower and no more crashes. I also have LR2.5 so hopefully it works for you.

1Ds Mk II, 1D Mk II, 50D, 40D, XT (for my son), 17-40L, 24-105L, Bigma 50-500 EX DG, Sigma 150 Macro EX DG, Tokina 12-24 AT-X, Nifty Fifty, Tamron 28-300 (for my son), 580ex II, 430ex II

TGrundvig
Goldmember
2,876 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 10, 2009 17:57 |  #14

BBD,

I take back my above comments and have to say I am having trouble with 2.5 now on a regular basis. I will be in LR and my whole system will just shut down, give me a BSOD and then restart. Every time it is ONLY when using LR 2.5. I can process 50+ images in PS CS3 at the same time and no issues at all from that program.

To compare my issues with yours, I've experienced this LR crash while developing and exporting (seperately). My problem is I bought it as LR 2.5 and I don't know how to go to an older version from here. Should I uninstall the entire program and download an older version? If so, which do you guys recommend? Also, will my product key work with an older version? I'm assuming it will.

I am using XP 32 bit and I'm starting to think that is the issue. I've had my entire computer tested and no hardware issues found at all.

1Ds Mk II, 1D Mk II, 50D, 40D, XT (for my son), 17-40L, 24-105L, Bigma 50-500 EX DG, Sigma 150 Macro EX DG, Tokina 12-24 AT-X, Nifty Fifty, Tamron 28-300 (for my son), 580ex II, 430ex II

Tom_D
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 10, 2009 19:09 |  #15

I went from 2.4 to 2.3 to solve an auto-import issue that 2.5 has fixed. I have been using LR since 1.x but going back to any 2.x version should be OK.

I would go to 2.3 rather than 2.4.

Gallery (external link)
7DMkII, 40D, 17-55, 70-200 f/2.8 IS and more...
More Wag, Less Bark

sponsored links

7,185 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lightroom 2.5 - Memory Issues
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.