Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 28 Sep 2009 (Monday) 22:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

PocketWizard and Light Meter Questions...

BTBeilke
827 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 28, 2009 22:29 |  #1

So, I'm about to purchase some PocketWizard radio triggers and a light meter and I've a few questions. FYI, I currently have 2 Elinchrom 400BX monolights and I also have Canon 580EX I and 420EX flashes.

I am considering purchasing (2) FlexTT5 transceivers and (1) MiniTT1 transmitter. Is there any reason why I should buy a 3rd FlexTT5 instead of the MiniTT1?

Also, if I wanted to use my flashes (i.e. for a background light and hair light) in conjunction with the monolights, can I do this by:

1) attaching one FlexTT5 to one of the monolights and tripping the other monolight optically?
2) attaching the other FlexTT5 to one of the flashes, and then tripping then tripping the other flash optically or as a TTL slave?

I'm all but positive that #1 will work but I have my doubts about #2.

Cables: I think these are the cables that I need to go along with these triggers. Please correct me if I am wrong.

1) MM1 for connecting the FlexTT5 to the 400BX monolights. Would I ever need a cable longer than 1'?
2) CM-N3-ACC for connecting a FlexTT5 to my 5D for remotely triggering the shutter.

As for the light meter, I am looking at the Sekonic L-358 Flash meter with transmitter module. Is there another brand/model in this price range that you would recommend over the L-358?

Thanks for the help.

Blane
Gear List

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 28, 2009 22:36 |  #2

BTBeilke wrote in post #8724549 (external link)
As for the light meter, I am looking at the Sekonic L-358 Flash meter with transmitter module. Is there another brand/model in this price range that you would recommend over the L-358?

HI Blane,

Within the Sekonic product line, the only place to go, and still have PW integration, is UP. That would be either a used L-558R or the current L-758DR. The other Sekonic meters can't accept the Pocket Wizard transmitter module. Unless you want/need spot metering or the ability to create custom profiles then there's no reason not to get the L-358. That meter has become a very popular and well liked meter. If you can find a used L-558R it's got the built in transmitter module and the 1 degree spot meter. It's everything that the L-758DR is with the exception of custom profiling and used prices are probably pretty good, but you don't see a heck of a lot of them out there for sale.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

george ­ m ­ w
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 29, 2009 00:35 |  #3

HI Blane,

Within the Sekonic product line, the only place to go, and still have PW integration, is UP. That would be either a used L-558R or the current L-758DR. The other Sekonic meters can't accept the Pocket Wizard transmitter module.

Rob,
Maybe it's because it's late, am I misunderstanding what you are saying to Blaine ? Are you saying the L-358 will NOT take the PW transmitter module ? If so, that is not right. I have the L-358 with the module....and it trips the PW's, which as you know I have connected to AlienBees, and sometimes a Canon 430EX.

regards, george w

"It's also obvious that people determined to solve user error with more expensive equipment will graduate to expensive user error."
Dave N.

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 29, 2009 03:48 as a reply to  @ george m w's post |  #4

No George. What I'm saying is that if you still want the PW transmitter module and don't want an L-358 then the only other choices are L-558R and L-758DR.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

k_strecker
428 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 29, 2009 09:19 |  #5

So, I'm about to purchase some PocketWizard radio triggers and a light meter and I've a few questions. FYI, I currently have 2 Elinchrom 400BX monolights and I also have Canon 580EX I and 420EX flashes.

I am considering purchasing (2) FlexTT5 transceivers and (1) MiniTT1 transmitter. Is there any reason why I should buy a 3rd FlexTT5 instead of the MiniTT1?

Also, if I wanted to use my flashes (i.e. for a background light and hair light) in conjunction with the monolights, can I do this by:

1) attaching one FlexTT5 to one of the monolights and tripping the other monolight optically?
2) attaching the other FlexTT5 to one of the flashes, and then tripping then tripping the other flash optically or as a TTL slave?

I'm all but positive that #1 will work but I have my doubts about #2.

1 will work BUT if there are any ETTL flashes in the mix you'll probably end up triggering the optical monolight with the pre-flash, and it won't fire during the actual exposure. There are optical triggers that will supposedly learn to ignore pre-flashes but they're *expensive* for optical triggers . . .

Cables: I think these are the cables that I need to go along with these triggers. Please correct me if I am wrong.

1) MM1 for connecting the FlexTT5 to the 400BX monolights. Would I ever need a cable longer than 1'?
2) CM-N3-ACC for connecting a FlexTT5 to my 5D for remotely triggering the shutter.

Thanks for the help.

1: correct cable, longer than 1' would be rare. you'll be attaching it to the monolight somehow so length's not an issue.

2: also correct, that's the cable that will let you do whatever you want with a FlexTT5 on a remote camera. Other cables will work, but only in basic trigger mode, no ETTL auto-relay.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,202 views & 0 likes for this thread
PocketWizard and Light Meter Questions...
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.