Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 29 Sep 2009 (Tuesday) 10:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My name is Hedley.... and I'm an addict.

Hedley
197 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 29, 2009 10:50 |  #1

I can't help it. I think I may trapped be in some kind of quest for the perfect camera bag but it's out of my control. How many bags does a man need to own before it becomes a problem? I find I can easily justify to myself a reason to keep each one... but surely this has to stop.
Go on, how many bags do you really need, and how many do you own....?

sponsored links
Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Sep 29, 2009 11:02 |  #2

How many bags do you need? How many different configurations of your gear do you go out with? That's why there's no one perfect bag. They're all perfect for their own specific situations.

I have a good dozen or so bags (Domke unless otherwise noted); the only one that's in any sense "dedicated" is the F612, which is dedicated to the 300 f/2.8. The others get used for cameras/lenses in whatever combinations are most appropriate for what I may be doing. Usually that's the F1x or the F7, since I'll generally be hauling lenses covering the uninterrupted range from 15-400 mm and 2 or more bodies. If I don't need that much range of focal lengths, I'll use the F1x, F2 or F802, depending on body and specific lens choices. With less gear, I may use an F3x or F5Xb; for the SX1, the F5Xa (which can also be used as a belt pouch for an additional lens when you're not carrying the camera in a bag). And so on.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,911 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 29, 2009 11:12 |  #3

You'll know it is a problem when the quantity of camera bags exceeds the quantity of handbags that your SO has.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

SYS
Cream of the Crop
13,710 posts
Gallery: 472 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2004

Sep 29, 2009 11:43 |  #4

Wilt wrote in post #8727047 (external link)
You'll know it is a problem when the quantity of camera bags exceeds the quantity of handbags that your SO has.

I think I'm safe, then... :)

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 29, 2009 11:51 as a reply to  @ SYS's post |  #5

The way I see it, as camera gear goes, bags are some of the least expensive things you can buy. You can get a great bag for less than $100.

I have about 5 bags of different types for different situations, as Jon said.

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

mufutau55
Goldmember
1,278 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 29, 2009 12:02 as a reply to  @ tgara's post |  #6

I may be counting about 15 now.. but if I see another one that I like I may still buy it, and I never sell any of my photographic equipments include bag, so I have many junk items, including various camera bag, and some that I have never even used once.. I always tell myself they will be there when I need it.

Now Jon might have made me a bag adddict now with my latest acquisition of Domke F2 bag. :)

Mufutau

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 29, 2009 12:23 as a reply to  @ mufutau55's post |  #7

So far, I've got four bags, two backpacks and two other bags. Each for a different configuration of gear. The Tamrac Expedition is for schlepping equipment, though its not as comfortable to wear as the Lowepro Rotation, and they each hold the same amt of gear. I'll probably sell the Tamrac.

The Stealth Reporter is for when I know I won't need a tripod, and the Classified 140 for evenings when I want the camera and light only.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

iqbal624
Goldmember
1,574 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 29, 2009 12:25 |  #8

this is like the search for the holy grail... it's out there... I think but the quest is long and dangerous (mostly just expensive)

I just know i'm ok as long as my wife has more bags than I do... :)

5d2 | | 50L | 28 1.8 | |
MacBook Pro 15 |

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,262 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 29, 2009 14:39 as a reply to  @ iqbal624's post |  #9

Hi, I'm Richard...

Hi, I'm Richard; I'm a bag addict.

I have sixbags and always seem to need one more.

I am going to China in April and purchased a great Lowepro Pro Roller Mini Portable Rolling Hard Case which is well within the carry-on size restrictions on China Airlines.

IMAGE: http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/13000097/Images/1/LPProRollerMini__1.jpg

However, I found to my great dismay that China Airlines has a severe weight restriction for Economy Class carry-on luggage and the Lowepro Rolling Case empty is within one or two pounds of the maximum weight. That certainly wouldn't give much leeway to carry gear.

Fortunately, I still have a Lowepro Mini Trekker backpacker which only weighs a couple of pounds empty and will fit my gear just fine. It doesn't have rollers but my main suitcase is a roller model and I can just fit the Mini Trekker on top for any long treks around the airport or from the transport into the hotel.

By-the-way; although I have many bags, I don't usually shoot carrying a bag. The bags are simply to store and/or transport my gear. I usually carry two cameras/lenses on an OPTECH Dual Harness and the rest of my gear (which occasionally includes one or two extra lenses), in my photo vest.

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

NicolasRubio
Goldmember
1,152 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Sep 29, 2009 17:51 |  #10

I'm a bag addict, too. Though, I don't have enough money! Hahaha

I have a complete Modular System by Think Tank Photo, coupled with their Pro Speed Belt. I am also looking forward to getting either a backpack from them (Shape Shifter / Streetwalker Pro) or a Pelican 1510 and maybe a Digital Holster 50 (also by TTP).

Gripped 7D - 3 Ls - 3 non-Ls - 580EX II - Too much Think Tank gear - Cotton Carrier Holster

Detailed Gear List - My Website (external link)

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Sep 29, 2009 18:26 |  #11

I wouldn't say I have too many bags. In reality, I need them all for one reason or another. There are always times I need one bag versus another. Like Jon says, I have some favorites because I use my gear a lot, but some bags will not carry certain items. So, it's okay to have many bags, as long as you have a purpose for them. I just got a Tenba bag, and it's very useful, but I found I couldn't fit my 5D in it very easily, it was too bulky. So, I am using it mainly as a messenger bag for my laptop and accessories. It's never a bag thing to have choices.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 29, 2009 18:48 |  #12

Wilt wrote in post #8727047 (external link)

I'm not. Confessed bagaholic.
DaveL
Toronto

Dave

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,743 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 29, 2009 20:06 |  #13

Does buying a Lowepro belt and the aw75 toploader for about 75 total, and then bringing it to a specialty leather house to have the toploader riveted to the belt because I didn't like the way it hung, spending 80 bucks to have that done, qualify? And then never used it, not even once? Does that qualify?

Does keeping my Kinesis long lens bag, even though I sold my long lenses, qualify?

Does buying ThinkTank, not liking it, and dumping it on the bottom of my closet, qualify?

Does buying the Lowepro Slingshot 200 followed by the 300, qualify?

Does buying a photo vest with Canon emblazoned on the back, qualify?

Does owning a Lowepro backpack to merely store some lenses, qualify?

Does buying a Crumpler 7 million dollar home on the forum because I had to see what all the fuss was, and only using it to store my flashes, qualify?

And I'm sure I'm leaving out a few.

me

rklepper
Dignity-Esteem-Compassion
8,994 posts
Joined Dec 2003
Location: No longer living at the center of the known universe, moved just slightly to the right. Iowa, USA.

Sep 29, 2009 20:11 |  #14

I think that buying a bag is the single most frustrating aspect of photography.

Doc Klepper in the USA
I
am a photorealist, I like my photos with a touch of what was actually there.
Polite C&C always welcome, Thanks. Gear List

Snow001
328 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 29, 2009 21:16 |  #15

To date I have purchased 3 bags (all backpacks) and 1 pelican case. I am actually thinking of getting the Thinktank Ultralight 2 or Crumpler Brazillion dollar home the as the Lowepro Vertex 200 AW is just too big and in a way "heavy" to use as a carry-on on certain planes and airlines...does this mean it is too late for me as well? Am I hooked ....... :)

sponsored links

4,724 views & 0 likes for this thread
My name is Hedley.... and I'm an addict.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.