Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 30 Sep 2009 (Wednesday) 22:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

F-Stop Tilopa Review

dandig
346 posts
Joined May 2006

Oct 08, 2009 18:01 |  #31

If anyone is curious about how much gear will fit in the XL sized ICU of the Satori here is a shot.

http://twitpic.com/krj​4v (external link) for some reason I cant embed that photo.

I'm just gathering some more photos and then I will put together a proper review of this one.

DanCarrPhotography.com (external link)
ShutterMuse.com (external link)
My crazy gear guide! (external link)

sponsored links
JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 09, 2009 09:36 |  #32

romeo26 wrote in post #8785547 (external link)
all i see are the molle straps...

They are shown here:
http://www.fstopgear.c​om …ct/mountain-series/tilopa (external link)

Although you should certainly be able to work with the MOLLE attachment points.

I'd email ian at fstop gear and ask him.

I should have mine by the 13th, I can look then and verify.

j.

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

jaholbro
30 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 09, 2009 14:21 |  #33

canceled my pre-order due to all the delays, maybe I'll have to get one anyways, looks pretty good

agpetz
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 09, 2009 14:34 as a reply to  @ jaholbro's post |  #34

Looks like a great bag. Wonder when F-Stop will be able to fill all their orders.

romeo26
159 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 09, 2009 22:26 |  #35

JohnJ80 wrote in post #8790161 (external link)
They are shown here:
http://www.fstopgear.c​om …ct/mountain-series/tilopa (external link)

Although you should certainly be able to work with the MOLLE attachment points.

I'd email ian at fstop gear and ask him.

I should have mine by the 13th, I can look then and verify.

j.

yes please verify when you get it. also when you get the bag can you take a pic

after looking at this page: http://www.fstopgear.c​om …ies/2010tilopa/​index.html (external link)

the straps that are at the bottom arnt there in the product shots.

looks like a really good bag though. iam digging the green one. i honestly think this is going to be the bag for me...once i see how to lash on a sleeping bag.

i tried to set up my kelty on how i wanted to use it for hiking with camera gear...it failed. iam hoping that there is going to be a small, and medium icu!

dandig
346 posts
Joined May 2006

Oct 09, 2009 22:56 as a reply to  @ romeo26's post |  #36

The bottom straps are on the Satori but not the Tilopa. If attaching a sleeping bag is a big priority you might want to consider the Satori.

romeo26
159 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 09, 2009 23:04 |  #37

its not too big of a deal...iam thinking of using the molle straps on the bottom...its just more convenient if those straps were there. also i see i can use the snowboard straps to hold a tripod while hiking.

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 10, 2009 01:01 |  #38

The small ICU will be available around March (per the last email I got from Ian) and is about half the size of the Large. The Large (Tilopa) and XL (Satori) are available now.

J.

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

dandig
346 posts
Joined May 2006

Oct 10, 2009 01:10 as a reply to  @ JohnJ80's post |  #39

This is my preferred way to carry the tripod:

IMAGE: http://dancarrphotography.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/img_9708-200x300.jpg

But yeah you can also put it down the middle on the snowboard straps if need be.

pic_ist
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Oct 19, 2009 14:13 as a reply to  @ dandig's post |  #40

This looks like the bag I have been looking for for years. However, is there a rain cover hidden anywhere? I do a lot of hiking and rain seems to be about at least one day in every trip!

TIA

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 19, 2009 14:36 |  #41

The zippers are weatherproof zippers and the material is supposed to be waterproof. That said, for cheap you can buy a backpack cover ($15 or so). I always use that too and that's what I'm going to do with mine. They are light and take up little space.

I got mine - also in read. Very impressed so far. It carries really well and has a lot of room for other stuff. I was able to put an extra layer (down jacket) in there, an extra pair of guide gloves, extra hat, my TT belt and a couple of lens changers, cotton carrier, my misc stuff (cleaning stuff, filters, etc...), a 70-200 f/4L IS,300 f/4L IS 1dmk3, 24-105 and an extra 40D body with grip. I still haven't gotten the ICU configured just right, but it will work fine once I futz with it some more.

Interestingly enough, it is also possible to remove an item from the ICU without taking the pack completely off. Loosen the waist belt, take off the shoulder straps, and rotate the pack around in front and lay horizontal supported by a knee. Open the ICU< get what you want, and then zip it back up, swivel around to the back, put on shoulder straps and tighten waist belt. Ski away.

J.

Obsessive Gear List

dandig
346 posts
Joined May 2006

Oct 19, 2009 17:39 |  #42

pic_ist wrote in post #8852117 (external link)
This looks like the bag I have been looking for for years. However, is there a rain cover hidden anywhere? I do a lot of hiking and rain seems to be about at least one day in every trip!

TIA

There is no rain cover included with it. There will be one available as an extra in the future. But as has been said you can pick one up for cheap anyways right now. There is however, a special pocket to hold the rain cover. Its is located on the bottom of the bag, its pretty well hidden so wouldnt surprise me if some people missed it but its there and thats what its designed for.

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 19, 2009 19:59 |  #43

dandig wrote in post #8853347 (external link)
There is no rain cover included with it. There will be one available as an extra in the future. But as has been said you can pick one up for cheap anyways right now. There is however, a special pocket to hold the rain cover. Its is located on the bottom of the bag, its pretty well hidden so wouldnt surprise me if some people missed it but its there and thats what its designed for.

Ah-ha! That's what that is for. I thought it was odd to have a pocket like that in the bottom!

J.

Obsessive Gear List

romeo26
159 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 20, 2009 08:52 |  #44

i cant wait till my green one comes in :P

colbyb25
676 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 28, 2009 12:29 |  #45

Here is a link to my review of the new Satori Photo Backpack from F-Stop Gear -

http://www.colbybrownp​hotography.com/blog/?p​=1031 (external link)

COLBY BROWN PHOTOGRAPHY (external link) -WORKSHOPS - (external link)GOOGLE+ - (external link) TWITTER (external link) - FACEBOOK (external link)
"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." ~Marcel Proust

sponsored links

41,848 views & 0 likes for this thread
F-Stop Tilopa Review
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.